Author Topic: LE / Gun Owner Interaction Ends Well  (Read 849 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
LE / Gun Owner Interaction Ends Well
« on: October 15, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »
This could have ended very poorly. I have to give kudos to the sheriff.

Basically: Guy takes his family to Disney World. Worried about riots, he takes an AR15 and pistol with a reasonable amount of ammo. Weapons were discovered by a porter and cops were called. This could have easily turned into an "OMG - a mass murderer shooter!" with the guy or others dead, considering where it happened.

It appears it was handled well by the Sheriff. I also have to give props to Disney World for storing his firearms for him during his stay and not kicking him out. They're a private entity, so if they want to ban guns,  I reckon it's their right.

My one thumbs down is the porter apparently deciding to go through the family's luggage because it was "suspiciously heavy" (according to him). The article just says he was suspicious of the weight and reported it to his manager, but how did they find the guns without opening the luggage? Maybe that's something hotel employees have been taught to do since the Las Vegas incident.

Anyway, carry your own bags I guess, if you have stuff you think is nobody else's business. I am curious what the guy planned on doing with the guns while he and his family were out and about at Disney World.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/10/man-brought-ar-15-rifle-rifle-magazines-with-90-rounds-to-disney-world-hotel-to-protect-family.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: LE / Gun Owner Interaction Ends Well
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:00:14 AM »
Story I read said that the gun owner had put the AR and handgun in a tennis racket bag, and that is why the porter thought the bag was too heavy.  Agreed, carry tour own bags to avoid the issue.  Also agree with Ben that getting them into the room did not address the issue of how to secure them during the stay.  Ive never seen a room safe large enough to hold an AR.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: LE / Gun Owner Interaction Ends Well
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »

It appears it was handled well by the Sheriff. I also have to give props to Disney World for storing his firearms for him during his stay and not kicking him out. They're a private entity, so if they want to ban guns,  I reckon it's their right.

Any resort at Disney World is no different than a Motel 6, in that if you rent a room, it is your legal domicile for the term of the rent.

Disney World is a private metro area, but we've had plenty of wrangling over State Preemption of municipal gun bans over the last century.

I see no grounds to ban tourists from bringing defensive arms on their visit to Disney.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!