Author Topic: ATAB (well, maybe not all but these 650 are...)  (Read 3912 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: ATAB
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
Quote from: RoadKingLarry
The lowest common denominator in the goal.

100% truthiness here.

Outcome Based Education was the first strike.
No Child Left Behind was the second.
Common Core is the third.

OBE slowed the pace of material, dictating that new material cannot be presented to a class until a certain saturation rate had been achieved with grasp of the current material.
NCLB made it far more difficult to force a child to repeat a grade.  And it bored the gifted kids to tears, and basically manufactured the "ADD" plague from thin air.
CC takes away diverse/multiple ways of teaching a concept, and forces presentation of that concept using techniques tailored to the worst performers.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
^^^ And I would add, from the opinion of my wife, the concept of 'teaching to the test'.  There is now major emphasis on the performance of the kids on standardized tests, and curriculum, teaching materials and class schedules are designed to achieve that goal, and teachers have little room to deviate.  Performance on standardized tests may or may not be an especially good proxy for a good education.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
As the OP I think he deserved an explanation, and so I gave one. I also thought his post was pretty funny.

While I am passionate about the damage the education system has done and is doing to this country, I'm well aware many, possibly even most teachers aren't the biggest problem.

Additionally, a $60,000 salary after 30 years while working summers is right in line with what I think a teacher should be making. I have no problems with Mr. Bee, specifically, though I do have a problems with a lot of members of his profession.

Your response is appreciated!  Thank you!

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »
100% truthiness here.

Outcome Based Education was the first strike.
No Child Left Behind was the second.
Common Core is the third.

OBE slowed the pace of material, dictating that new material cannot be presented to a class until a certain saturation rate had been achieved with grasp of the current material.
NCLB made it far more difficult to force a child to repeat a grade.  And it bored the gifted kids to tears, and basically manufactured the "ADD" plague from thin air.
CC takes away diverse/multiple ways of teaching a concept, and forces presentation of that concept using techniques tailored to the worst performers.

I agree with so much of this!  I am a Montessori trained teacher and even in traditional schools still use her philosophy.  Students are in multiage rooms and we strive for them to be self reliant, work on their own, and develop a love of learning and ability to question. 

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Back when I worked for an AZ school district, I knew several teachers in their 50's that were making upwards of $80k.  Not principals or administrators.  This was around 2004.

And they had summers off.

I know they had summers off because I was classified staff rather than certified, and I worked all summer.  Parking lots are empty, classrooms are empty, often times computer networks are torn down and reconfigured. 

And shortly after than the funding was cut.  Schools in 2020 are funded less (in REAL DOLLARS, not adjusted for inflation) than in 2008

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Gonna go with the Bee here.  Calling a forum member a Bastard, and not clearly spelling it out as satire, at least deserves a response.  His pic was as eloquent as a note reading "Nuts!" would have been, and communicated his intent as clearly as words.

Broad brushes in general are a bad idea, and usually impolite.

Appreciated dude!

There are bad individuals in all professions and we need to think of them as individuals!  Don't gloss everyone with the same BS covered brush.

I hate the idea of tenure and it doesn't exist in AZ.  Bad teachers need to go!  Great teachers need to be appreciated and paid.  I hate seeing strong union districts with teachers who just go to a building and read all day and get paid--not allowed to teach, but still won't/can't get fired

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
I agree with so much of this!  I am a Montessori trained teacher and even in traditional schools still use her philosophy.  Students are in multiage rooms and we strive for them to be self reliant, work on their own, and develop a love of learning and ability to question. 

My boy is attending a charter montessori elementary school.  Gonna do everything possible for him to NOT attend a public school.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »
My boy is attending a charter montessori elementary school.  Gonna do everything possible for him to NOT attend a public school.

Excellent!  I've taught at Montessori Education Centre in Mesa ( charter), Johnson Elementary in Mesa (part of Mesa Public Schools), and Sedona Charter School.  All excellent choices.  I don't know of a Montessori in Arizona to shy away from.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
 His pic was as eloquent as a note reading "Nuts!" would have been, and communicated his intent as clearly as words.

Uh, no. Photos of bovine droppings are not elegant. "Nuts" would indeed have been a much better option.

I notice the thread title has not been changed.  ???

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2020, 12:24:19 AM »
^^^ And I would add, from the opinion of my wife, the concept of 'teaching to the test'.  There is now major emphasis on the performance of the kids on standardized tests, and curriculum, teaching materials and class schedules are designed to achieve that goal, and teachers have little room to deviate.  Performance on standardized tests may or may not be an especially good proxy for a good education.

The teachers here now tell the students to purposefully throw the first test and then do well on the next ones to show improvement across the board.

But then they screech that we don’t pay enough in taxes for this high *expletive deleted*in quality government education...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2020, 12:58:10 AM »

Uh, no. Photos of bovine droppings are not elegant. "Nuts" would indeed have been a much better option.

I notice the thread title has not been changed.  ???

I changed the purposefully clickbait headline. Happy now?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
The teachers here now tell the students to purposefully throw the first test and then do well on the next ones to show improvement across the board.

But then they screech that we don’t pay enough in taxes for this high *expletive deleted*in quality government education...

That's some serious ethics violations right there.  I'd get that behavior squashed at the school board level right-quick.  Get primary testimony from several kids who were told that, and get the teacher fired.
--Lysander Spooner

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »

Hell, it's almost like you get more of what you subsidize.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:09 PM »

If so, and if performance bonuses were tied to growth, that sounds like fraud.

Usually growth for evaluation purposes is from the end of the previous year to the end of the current year.