Author Topic: are we really heading toward civil war or civil unrest?  (Read 6206 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
are we really heading toward civil war or civil unrest?
« on: October 21, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
 Some folks that I respect, are saying we are.
Yet, locally, Reno,NV - everyone is very doubtful we will be much affected.
 One local sort of conservative person thinks our power grid will be attacked.

We already have seen lots of unrest in bluer areas - SF/Portland/NYC, the standard reply at work is "well, I got guns, ammo" ....
but I am not quite sure if they have thought it through.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: are we really heading toward civil war or civil unrest?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
I believe we will have civil unrest if Trump wins. I believe we will have civil unrest if Biden/Harris can't deliver.

There is no stomach for a civil war.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »
I think the term "civil war" is being greatly over used with regards to our current political situation.
I expect to see the "(un)civil unrest" continuing to ramp up, particularly if Trump wins another term.
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the "unrest" escalate to no-*expletive deleted*it terrorism level, it's not too far from that now.

Things I hope we don't see but also would not surprise me:
Mass casualty attacks at a polling place.
Riots at polling places.
More Trump supporters being attacked and beaten or killed.
A blm/antifa mob attacking the wrong person/group and getting their collective asses handed to them in a particularly violent manner. (I'd almost like to see that, almost.)

In the event of a Trump loss I would not be surprised to see the blm/antifa mob types energized to the point of targeting conservative groups in order to elicit a violent response in the hopes that the local government comes down hard on the conservatives.

Too many possible ugly scenarios to list. Either way we are in for more violence and destruction and a continued erosion of civil discourse.

But "civil war"? I sure hope not.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
A lot of Balkanization is in our future. We’d be lucky to have a “normal” civil war...what we will get will be far bloodier and tear a lot more families and friends apart and will make 1861-1865 look like nothing.

You’ve seen how insane TDS sufferers have been just because Bad Orange Man got elected but hasn’t even done much of anything. Those people are *expletive deleted*ing nuts and are big fans of the same kind of *expletive deleted*it Hitler and Stalin pulled
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
The Democrats/leftists/BLM/Antifa (but I repeat myself) will engage in civil unrest regardless of what happens.

Unless the word comes down (from the out of sight money guys who are calling the shots) that they should stand down.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
We're already in low intensity conflict in the areas you've mentioned.  It goes hot and I see more balkanization.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »
If Trump wins, non-acceptance of his victory and civil unrest and rioting by the likes of antifa. Likely that unrest will continue and escalate. While I feel sorry for the innocents there, the civil unrest will continue in the areas we've already seen it - with these jackasses continuing to *expletive deleted*it where they eat.

If they attempt to take it outside of those liberal urban areas, I think that's when some on our side will say enough is enough and the switch will turn from "off" to "on". No civil war, but we will see good people decide it's time to stop being polite. A possible bright spot to that is that it might make the rioters decide they've had enough and take themselves back to the safety of Twitter and their basements.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »
If Trump wins, non-acceptance of his victory and civil unrest and rioting by the likes of antifa. Likely that unrest will continue and escalate. While I feel sorry for the innocents there, the civil unrest will continue in the areas we've already seen it - with these jackasses continuing to *expletive deleted*it where they eat.

If they attempt to take it outside of those liberal urban areas, I think that's when some on our side will say enough is enough and the switch will turn from "off" to "on". No civil war, but we will see good people decide it's time to stop being polite. A possible bright spot to that is that it might make the rioters decide they've had enough and take themselves back to the safety of Twitter and their basements.

Violent aholes should be gunned down at some point while being violent aholes.  Por encourage les autres.  I just got through reading a post asking when it's okay to shoot violent aholes in front of your house throwing rocks and molotovs.  If you have to debate that one we are well and truly screwed.  The amount of people on our side that didn't learn anything from Neville Chamberlain's approach is appalling.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 10:33:52 PM »
It's going to be more of an attempted revolution than civil war in my opinion.  Two very different critters, politically.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »
I think that nothing that dramatic will be happening regardless of who is elected. The weather will help keep people inside. People generally don't riot in the snow and rain. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 11:50:38 PM »
I think that nothing that dramatic will be happening regardless of who is elected. The weather will help keep people inside. People generally don't riot in the snow and rain. 

The burning buildings and cars will keep them warm.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
There will be unrest either way, though a Trump win is pretty much guaranteed to result in riots and localized SJW "uprisings". I see them as happening mostly in places already allowing it. The rest of the country is well and truly tired of their bullshit. I think the uprisers will encounter a harsh, unyielding, and finality-laden welcome if they try and expand their territories. If not in general, then at least from tight-knit locals who are absolutely committed to their communities and who know how to keep their mouths shut.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:14:26 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
One scenario I envision is the following.

It's not going to spread to the sticks, that's last.

The unrest or attacks will expand into the collar county suburbs of the big cities that are already facilitating the domestic terrorism. This is where they have the most soldiers and control of the systems of power. Probably not mass mobilizations like in the cities but individual attacks on infrastructure designed to cause fear, inconvenience and frustration among soccer moms.

My suspicion is the plans are already in place and the combatants are just waiting for the GO! signal from the wealthy funders behind the scenes.

Worst case scenario is that the attacks are framed as right wing violence.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 10:54:23 AM »
The shame of it is that there are so many Americans who are so woefully willfully ignorant it is an embarrassment.  Double shame is how the American media is part of the apparatus being used to tear down our Constitutional Republic.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »
One scenario I envision is the following.

It's not going to spread to the sticks, that's last.

The unrest or attacks will expand into the collar county suburbs of the big cities that are already facilitating the domestic terrorism. This is where they have the most soldiers and control of the systems of power. Probably not mass mobilizations like in the cities but individual attacks on infrastructure designed to cause fear, inconvenience and frustration among soccer moms.

My suspicion is the plans are already in place and the combatants are just waiting for the GO! signal from the wealthy funders behind the scenes.

Worst case scenario is that the attacks are framed as right wing violence.
If they go out into the suburbs in mobs, they will come in contact with more law enforcement that is not willing to overlook the violence and more people who are willing to use firearms.  I think that will be too close to home for a lot of people.  I recall seeing a story where one of the "protests" ventured into a suburban neighborhood near Minneapolis and someone shot at them.  They did not continue into the neighborhood.  So far, most of the violence is opportunistic and in places where they can get away with it.  They feel safer in their numbers.

Some of what I see people talking about is more like guerilla warfare.  Do you really think these people are going to do that? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »
Some of what I see people talking about is more like guerilla warfare.  Do you really think these people are going to do that? 

Yes.  Very poorly.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »

For the most part, I doubt it. Though I think there is likely a small percentage of them who have played Call of Duty one too many times and might try something.

This, again, is just from my armchair, but this is the scenario that I think would cool their jets: A mob of "burn it down" aficionados decides to terrorize a suburban neighborhood. A dozen of them approach a house and decide to lob Molotovs. If even just one of the group throws the fire, the homeowner opens up on all of them. Again, from my armchair, this is what I might expect a soldier to do if the Taliban approach his position with a rocket launcher. You don't just shoot that guy - you shoot at all of them, because it's war.

Obviously in a lot of places, the homeowner ends up in the pokey, but that approach is what stops these gangs. You don't just shoot the mouthy one, because they are all a threat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
Sure. Why not. We've already got the civil unrest. Hell, we've had the civil unrest since Election Night 2016.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
It wouldn't be unprecedented.
In a single eighteen-month period during 1971 and 1972 the FBI counted an amazing 2,500 bombings on American soil, almost five a day.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
I think there's definitely going to be more civil unrest, no matter what the outcome of the election is.

However, by some metrics we haven't even reached 1960's-1970's levels of violence either.

In a single eighteen-month period during 1971 and 1972 the FBI counted an amazing 2,500 bombings on American soil, almost five a day.

LOL DittoHead beat me to it. 1968-1974 was definitely "spicy".
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
If they go out into the suburbs in mobs, they will come in contact with more law enforcement that is not willing to overlook the violence and more people who are willing to use firearms.  I think that will be too close to home for a lot of people.  I recall seeing a story where one of the "protests" ventured into a suburban neighborhood near Minneapolis and someone shot at them.  They did not continue into the neighborhood. 

They did leave in a hurry.  I remember that video.

There was also the attempted protest in the Seattle Police Chief's suburban neighborhood.  Her neighbors were having non of it.  That altercation gave birth to my favorite conversation of 2020:

BLM/Antifa Basic White Girl:  "we're just protesting peacefully and you're pointing GUNS at us!
Homeowner:  That's why you're being peaceful.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 08:07:45 AM »
Apparently if we have election night/post-election violence, it will be because of white militias. Also maybe blame it on cops.  ;/

The report also states that militia presence can also be heightened in areas where militia members have cultivated personal relationships with police or law enforcement or where there might be a friendly attitude by law enforcement towards these groups.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/potentially-violent-militia-groups-could-be-rampant-leading-up-to-elections-in-these-five-states-report

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »
It's going to be more of an attempted revolution than civil war in my opinion.  Two very different critters, politically.

This.  We are decades deep in a culture war with socialist political revolution as a goal point.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
If Trump wins, I fear civil unrest in urban environments, the  same places that have seen unrest this year.  I believe this is more likely to be true if he wins the electoral college but not the popular vote.  And I believe this will be followed by idiots in Congress introducing legislation to end the electoral college, not realizing it would require a Constitutional amendment to do so. 

If Biden wins, there will be smoldering embers of trouble in more rural areas, with potential to erupt if/when Biden pushes gun control, raises taxes on average people, or just does something that could be seen as un-American.

Worse case?  A lot of issues on election day requiring court intervention.  Protests by both sides outside courthouses.  Violence erupts between the two groups.  Someone fires shots.  Those shots are returned.  A gunbattle ensues.  Nothing good follows.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 12:43:21 AM »
If Trump wins, I fear civil unrest in urban environments, the  same places that have seen unrest this year. I believe this is more likely to be true if he wins the electoral college but not the popular vote.  And I believe this will be followed by idiots in Congress introducing legislation to end the electoral college, not realizing it would require a Constitutional amendment to do so. 

If Biden wins, there will be smoldering embers of trouble in more rural areas, with potential to erupt if/when Biden pushes gun control, raises taxes on average people, or just does something that could be seen as un-American.

Worse case?  A lot of issues on election day requiring court intervention.  Protests by both sides outside courthouses.  Violence erupts between the two groups.  Someone fires shots.  Those shots are returned.  A gunbattle ensues.  Nothing good follows.

He can't win the popular vote.  California will produce however many votes it takes to prevent that, even if it means something impossible like 150% voter turnout.
"It's good, though..."