Author Topic: Glue opinions  (Read 621 times)

zahc

• friend
Glue opinions
« on: October 21, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
I need to glue some PETG plastic bits to some anodized aluminum bike rims. Plastic doesn't usually glue very well at the best of times. The bike will be used year round including in the snow.

Contact cement
CA
Goop
Gorilla Glue
Other?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Glue opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 06:57:21 AM »
I've never tried to glue anything like that before, but there seems to be some on point information here...

But, I believe they're talking bonding similar materials together.

https://all3dp.com/2/best-glue-for-plastic-pla-abs-petg-nylon/

Judging by what I'm seeing, though, for your application polyurethane glue might be your best option, especially since it's waterproof.

I've used poly glue before on wood. Works well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B07M5C26JZ

scuff the aluminum with some 320 grit first.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:52:25 AM »
Yeah, anything for boats or RV's will probably be permanent. Fancy 3M stuff will cause the parts to break before the glue gives.

I'm guessing it's similar to the stuff German and Japanese car makers glue the bodies together with.

Another contender is this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Y055980-High-Temperature-Adhesive/dp/B00DM8L5GU

I got a tube of it with my replacement dryer drum glides and felt pads, and it's hella strong. I only needed about 1/4 of the tube, and wound up using it for other stuff in the house and it's never failed.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B07M5C26JZ

scuff the aluminum with some 320 grit first.

5200, AKA Satan's glue.
If it won't stick with 5200 it likely won't stick. Just don't expect to ever be able to take it apart with out destroying it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 05:09:23 PM »
I've never heard of 5200 before so I'll give it a try.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
Make sure you read the instructions. There are several that don't work on PP or PE.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 07:01:48 PM »
Nothing really works on PE or PP. That's the problem. I used to build model airplanes out of PP and except for some 3M tapes that were too expensive, the only thing that worked was poking holes and using a glue that would lock together by going through the holes. Right now I'm thinking of gorilla glue thinking when it foams up it might lock into the ridges of the 3D printed parts.
--Tallpine

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
That's why I said 5200. It's a polyurethane glue that is designed to be permanent. I've used it to glue Starboard down, and that stuff is famously hard to glue.  I've also used it to seal between nylon hull fittings and the hull under the waterline on boats. It moisture cures and sticks to most plastics.

Between the layer lines on the print and the adhesive it should stay.

FWIW I used Gorilla Glue to stick some silicone mat to a PETG cell phone holder I printed and it's been in the truck for 3 months now. It's still attached,  but I could peel it off if I tried.