Author Topic: Your predictions for a Biden presidency and guns  (Read 7342 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Your predictions for a Biden presidency and guns
« on: October 25, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
If Mr. Biden is elected, what do you think will happen with guns? Mandated surrender of modern sporting rifles? Federal waiting periods or purchase limits? Bans on silencers?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Your predictions for a Biden presidency and guns
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
Do they also get the senate in this?
If yes then Harris will declare that as a mandate to go for it. Hopefully enough Ds will get cold feet to jam it up somewhat.
If not as long as the Rs stay firm on the matter, yeah I know, then her hands will be mostly tied.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »
Lots of variables, most importantly house and senate control. Without both houses:

Kiss imports goodbye.
Not sure what he could do with making ammo purchases difficult, but he'll try.
Can suppressors be controlled through EO? If so, that's an easy win.

With both houses:

I just don't see outright "Beto" confiscation. I think the dem handlers know where that leads.
Some kind of assault weapons / mag ban though.
The "one gun a month" thing.
Plus the stuff he could do by EO and likely more.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »
If the Harris/Biden administration also has the Senate and House, they'll try to add everything semi-automatic with a detachable magazine to the NFA registry, with a limited grace period to get your tax stamp for each item you own. (And don't expect the tax stamp to stay at "only" $200.) They probably won't go for outright confiscation . . . at first. But look for a lot of problems at the state level in places that already restrict current NFA items like suppressors and non-C&R full autos.

Without both houses, most of the mischief will be limited to import-related items, since the Executive Branch has broad powers there . . . so long as the GOP stands firm.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
Not going to happen.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
If they get the senate it will be like what they did in VA

I ain’t registering *expletive deleted*it or turning in *expletive deleted*it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »
Will SCOTUS protect us any if POTUS and Senate go to Dems?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 05:57:20 PM »
Will SCOTUS protect us any if POTUS and Senate go to Dems?

Any thing the SC could do would be in cases brought to the SC and this could take months or years. The dems could in that time enact a such a mountain of legislation that it could decades to undo one case at a time. The dems wet dream of overturning The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act alone could do irreparable damage in a matter of months. The SC stopping that months or years later would be like putting out the fire that burnt the house down months ago.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:15:31 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »
I think if they try to do much it will look like the vote after th AWB. And without term limits many dems remember what happened.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 08:04:07 PM »
I am most concerned about the Executive Orders.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 08:13:49 PM »
I am most concerned about the Executive Orders.

I could be wrong but hopefully Trump has put enough pro 2A fed judges in place to keep any Harris issued EOs tied up in knots for a while
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
If the Senate goes Democrat as projected, the first thing Biden Harris will do is pack the SCOTUS with leftist "The Constitution is a living document" judges.  After that the Democrats can make all of their gun control dreams come true.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:16 PM »
It's more than just guns. Biden will probably go along with the great reset:

https://www.weforum.org/great-reset
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:44 PM »
If the Senate goes Democrat as projected, the first thing Biden Harris will do is pack the SCOTUS with leftist "The Constitution is a living document" judges.  After that the Democrats can make all of their gun control dreams come true.

Justices can only be replaced as they retire or died off. This why getting Barrett in is so important.
Increasing the number of justices on the court would require a constitutional amendment which would have to be called for by 2/3 of both houses or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures and then it would have to be approved by 3/4 of the states. Good luck with that even if they win everything.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 11:34:32 PM »
Justices can only be replaced as they retire or died off.
Increasing the number of justices on the court would require a constitutional amendment which would have to be called for by 2/3 of both houses or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures and then it would have to be approved by 3/4 of the states. Good luck with that even if they win everything.

Actually, no.  The Congress can increase the size of the Supreme Court through legislative means.  All it takes is a simple majority vote in both houses.
The Constitution establishes the court, but says nothing about its size.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 11:35:01 PM »
Justices can only be replaced as they retire or died off.

You might want to do a little more research on that one. The number of justices is not in the constitution, it's in the Judiciary act of 1789, which leaves that to congress:

https://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/judiciary.html
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 11:36:13 PM »
Okay, I stand corrected. I was thinking it required an A
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 11:39:27 PM »
Okay, I stand corrected

It's too bad that your original statement was incorrect.  In my not so humble opinion, we would have been better off if the court's size was set in the COTUS.  It would have made the court more resistant to political manipulation of the type the Democrats are planning.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 11:39:51 PM »
https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx
Who decides how many Justices are on the Court? Have there always been nine?

The Constitution places the power to determine the number of Justices in the hands of Congress. The first Judiciary Act, passed in 1789, set the number of Justices at six, one Chief Justice and five Associates. Over the years Congress has passed various acts to change this number, fluctuating from a low of five to a high of ten. The Judiciary Act of 1869 fixed the number of Justices at nine and no subsequent change to the number of Justices has occurred.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 11:42:46 PM »
It's too bad that your original statement was incorrect.  In my not so humble opinion, we would have been better off if the court's size was set in the COTUS.  It would have made it more resistant to political manipulation of the type the Democrats are planning.

Not the first time someone has wanted to mess with it. I remember reading about this before but didn't remember the details

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Procedures_Reform_Bill_of_1937

The Judicial Procedures Reform Bill of 1937,[1] frequently called the "court-packing plan",[2] was a legislative initiative proposed by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt to add more justices to the U.S. Supreme Court in order to obtain favorable rulings regarding New Deal legislation that the Court had ruled unconstitutional.[3] The central provision of the bill would have granted the president power to appoint an additional justice to the U.S. Supreme Court, up to a maximum of six, for every member of the court over the age of 70 years and 6 months.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 11:44:35 PM »
It's too bad that your original statement was incorrect.  In my not so humble opinion, we would have been better off if the court's size was set in the COTUS.  It would have made the court more resistant to political manipulation of the type the Democrats are planning.

Now THAT would be a good amendment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »
If Biden-Harris win, and they have both houses under D control, I would expect something like a new AWB before they tried to make sporting guns fall under NFA rules.  Especially if they don’t/can’t pack SCOTUS.  They’d get pimp slapped by expedited scotus rulings if they went that far, with just the current 9 justice count.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
Now THAT would be a good amendment.

Agree. Nine is an ideal number.

Back to gun stuff, One thing I'd be curious about is how individual states would fall in line. There are a decent number of states that might be inclined to tell fed.gov to get bent. For instance with an AWB, last time everyone fell in line, but I could now easily see at least a half dozen states saying "will not comply" if we got one this time around. I would be curious about the repercussions (such as freezing federal money).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
Joe wanted to weigh in on this thread:
It’s long past time we take action to end the scourge of gun violence in America.

As president, I’ll ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, implement universal background checks, and enact other common-sense reforms to end our gun violence epidemic.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »
   ....... Back to gun stuff, One thing I'd be curious about is how individual states would fall in line. There are a decent number of states that might be inclined to tell fed.gov to get bent. For instance with an AWB, last time everyone fell in line, but I could now easily see at least a half dozen states saying "will not comply" if we got one this time around. I would be curious about the repercussions (such as freezing federal money).

I'm more curious how We, the People, react than the states .... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero