Author Topic: EVERY. SINGLE. (Presidential) ELECTION.  (Read 1369 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
EVERY. SINGLE. (Presidential) ELECTION.
« on: November 01, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »
Mr. Willimason is of course referring to the polls CLOSEST TO THE ELECTION, when the pollsters have stopped trying to shape public opinion with wildly outbalanced sample percentages to build an impression of how unpopular conservatives/Republicans/Trump is.

It's the SAME GAME EVERY ELECTION and you'd think supposedly intelligent people would know the game. The polls ALWAYS tighten come election time because they are more closely measuring the voter's preferences. Prior to that, they are reflecting the pollsters preferences.  

But, they do know the game: they're part of it.

And, on cue:

https://news.yahoo.com/final-polls-election-show-biden-165852990.html

"Final Polls before Election Show Biden with National Lead, but Battleground States Tightening"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-week-in-polls-trump-gains-in-9-of-12-swing-states-but-biden-still-leads-in-10-of-them/

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2020/11/01/new-polls-two-days-out-race-tightens-in-florida-and-pennsylvania-490766

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/presidential-race-tightening-according-to-a-new-poll/ar-BB1azY6g

Wow, I must be some kind of psychic to have predicted this, huh?

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: EVERY. SINGLE. (Presidential) ELECTION.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:16:30 AM »
I guess someone forgot to tell Nate Silver at 538
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
I guess someone forgot to tell Nate Silver at 538

Nate Silver, from Nov 10, 2020:

A 9% chance of winning didn't mean that he couldn't win!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »

Wow, you really nailed it  :rofl:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/im-here-to-remind-you-that-trump-can-still-win/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »
I should clarify that I expected to see polls & forecasts tighten over the month of October and they did not (at least to the degree I expected) so my predictions are already going poorly.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »
The background stats for that chart don't seem to take the geography of the popular vote into account. Without geography, it might be a valid chart. Otherwise, places like CA put a wrench in it due to population weighting and dem majority. CA will go for Biden. Whether that's 10 million votes or 15 million votes doesn't affect the fact that CA will go for Biden in the popular and electoral vote. The additional 5 million popular vote numbers also then don't translate to the overall national popular numbers for that chart to help Biden or hurt Trump, due to the population weighting of CA. Oh, look. Tobler's Law again. Perhaps they're adjusting weighting for those numbers, but the data at that 538 link doesn't indicate it.

Also, they are calculating based on the "shy Trump voter" basically not existing.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-supporters-arent-shy-but-polls-could-still-be-missing-some-of-them/

Sorry, but by far, the people I still know in CA that are voting for Trump are pretty much keeping their mouths shut about it in public there. There's a difference between driving to a Trump rally, putting on your red hat and cheering with all the other like-minded people there, and doing the same thing in a Starbucks in Hollywood, or getting into a verbal fight with your neighbor about it.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
I am trying to remember in my lifetime an election that did not show the Democrat leading months ahead of the election.  I wasn't paying attention in the 80's, but I was thinking even Reagan was behind at first. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
Reading the thread title, I thought it would be about Republicans being accused of planning to take away old people's social security. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 10:41:19 AM »
Reading the thread title, I thought it would be somebody stridently pointing out that this, even more so than the last ones, is the most important election EVER.

A plus this election is that with somewhere around half of the votes cast already, there seems to be less hysteria (about the vote, not the aftermath) leading up to tomorrow.  Early voting will no doubt change campaigning in the future.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
Early voting will no doubt change campaigning in the future.

Though I'm much more concerned with late voting. I think it's a safe bet that PA will be the Florida of 2020.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »

A poll from eight days in the future? ? ?  Shouldn't they know by then? [tinfoil]

Does H. G. Wells run these polls?     >:D :rofl: :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »

A poll from eight days in the future? ? ?  Shouldn't they know by then? [tinfoil]

Does H. G. Wells run these polls?     >:D :rofl: :rofl:
They will still be counting the mail in ballots.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
They will still be counting finding all the mail in ballots.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »
If Biden wins I pray conservatives retain the Senate. With that and a conservative majority in SCOTUS, we at least have a chance of keeping the worst of possibilities at bay.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
If Biden wins I pray conservatives retain the Senate. With that and a conservative majority in SCOTUS, we at least have a chance of keeping the worst of possibilities at bay.

Brad

I would be entertained, in a drinking while the world burns kind of way, to see Biden win, R's take the house and Senate, and then have them impeach him on the Ukraine/China deals.  The R's love following D precedent on political games, and it would be the final nail in the coffin of the US having a functional Federal Government.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
I would be entertained, in a drinking while the world burns kind of way, to see Biden win, R's take the house and Senate, and then have them impeach him on the Ukraine/China deals.  The R's love following D precedent on political games, and it would be the final nail in the coffin of the US having a functional Federal Government.

I normally don't care for the copycat stuff, but after this last impeachment debacle and all the other "45, don't say his name" and other TDS stuff that has severely harmed the country, including the impeachment taking precedence over the virus, I'm all for it now.

If Biden wins, he's not my president and we need to start impeachment on day one. Burning down Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and every "blended drink with 37 supplements" place in the country would be step two.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
I normally don't care for the copycat stuff, but after this last impeachment debacle and all the other "45, don't say his name" and other TDS stuff that has severely harmed the country, including the impeachment taking precedence over the virus, I'm all for it now.

If Biden wins, he's not my president and we need to start impeachment on day one. Burning down Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and every "blended drink with 37 supplements" place in the country would be step two.

Burning down media HQ might be a better start along with Antifa clubhouses. Then head to the suburbs and burn houses that have Biden/Harris signs in their front yards.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »
"...or getting into a verbal fight with your neighbor about it."

Somebody here once said that when a person asks you for your opinion, they really just want to tell you theirs.