Author Topic: Amazon has gotten too woke  (Read 567 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Amazon has gotten too woke
« on: November 02, 2020, 12:27:46 AM »
I remembered tonight that I just about finished off a box of 1-inch brads on a recent project, so I decided to see if Amazon has them. They do. (Hardly a surprise.) BUT ... Check out the ad page for the first one I clicked:

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group-532383-17-Inch-1-Inch/dp/B001F9URG2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=1+inch+wire+brads&qid=1604294299&sr=8-2

Country of Origin: Taiwan, Province Of China
(Emphasis added)

That's just not right. But Amazon sells a lot of (to be polite) "stuff" from China, so I guess Jeff doesn't want to offend our future overlords by referring to Taiwan as "Taiwan." The irony (for me) is that my father was in China during WW2. The U.S. liberated China from the Japanese. Then the communists ran off the government of China, which took refuge on Taiwan. So, in my mind, Taiwan is the legitimate "China" and those people on the mainland are the interlopers. If anything, stuff from the mainland should be sold as "Country of origin: Mainland China, province of Taiwan."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Amazon has gotten too woke
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Country of Origin: Taiwan, Province Of China

They both consider themselves the rightful govt of China  and both consider Taiwan a province of that China so it actually reads correct. Mainland China probably would have demanded it read People's Republic Of China instead of just China.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 09:23:15 AM »
We're, as always, supplying the rope to those who would hang us.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »
I would be interested to know if this is an Amazon policy, or is the item listing description up to the seller?  I suspect this is a seller issue, not Amazon corporate.  I went back and looked at some purchases (many bicycle parts/accessories are made in Taiwan now) and I did not find this language in any of the items.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.