Author Topic: Liberals honestly think Fox News is what gives conservatives their ideas...  (Read 674 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I have been watching the plummeting of Fox News and all of the information clicked for me.

Stuff like this: Fox News Going Liberal? and this; Fox News Cuts Away from White House Press Conference and this: More Fox Woes

and I can keep linking, as there's lots more.

But I had a revelation: Liberals wanted to take over Fox News (they had it easy as the issue of the owner) because they thought Fox News gives conservatives their marching orders.

They thought if they just take over this outlet, the conservatives would fall in line. It honestly never occurred to them that Fox News succeeds ONLY in as much as they reflect their audience. They don't drive it. They are honestly surprised that conservatives are cutting them off so quickly.

It's the same with Rush Limbaugh. They think he's successful because he's brainwashed millions of listeners, when his success is a result of giving them a VOICE.

And, as with Trump, if you cut off the outlets for conservatives to have a voice (the goal of the progressive movement), you don't end the sentiments. You just bottle them up, like steam. And the results will be similar to bottling up pressure.  

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
I think it is true that the popularity of news organizations is in part due to how their presentation of the news resonates with their viewership.  That said, what news is presented and how it is presented still influences the people who consume it.  Especially once viewers start to trust particular personalities.

MechAg94

• friend
It is what they do and think.  Leftists have no understanding of anyone but themselves (if that).  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
I think it is true that the popularity of news organizations is in part due to how their presentation of the news resonates with their viewership.  That said, what news is presented and how it is presented still influences the people who consume it.  Especially once viewers start to trust particular personalities.
But the cult of personality only goes so far.  And leftists these days don't know what subtlety is. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I think it is true that the popularity of news organizations is in part due to how their presentation of the news resonates with their viewership.  That said, what news is presented and how it is presented still influences the people who consume it.  Especially once viewers start to trust particular personalities.

True, and there are certainly sheep on the right just like on the left. I always trusted Neil Cavuto, who, though he was a semi-never Trumper, always seemed to provide rational analyses. If I didn't agree with them, they certainly fell into "food for thought" territory.

He may still have reasonable analyses, but now doing stuff like cutting away from Kayleigh makes him suspect to me, which is why I am gradually moving away from Fox. Tell me you're opinion that's different than mine Neil, but don't hide info or attempt to tell me HOW to think. I'm at a point where I'm checking Fox News the same as I occasionally pop into CNN, etc. - just to get the lay of their land, but not trusting what they say and requiring verification from elsewhere.

As I have been spending more and more time at the Epoch Times, their very busy comment sections have been an interesting read. TONS of people have made comments that they gave up on Fox and the Epoch Times was one of the areas they landed. The other venues most mentioned in the comments there are OANN and Newsmax. The latter was interesting to me, as I generally haven't gone there other than through links in articles elsewhere, and have never thought of them as "big" like a cable news network. I might have to explore there a bit.

Edit: I'm still going to Fox Business regularly as they seem to be staying out of the Fox News spiral. Don't know how long that will last.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
So I've just spent a little time perusing the Newsmax website. It seems well laid out and so far I'm not seeing any sensational stories. I see that Ad Blocker Pro goes crazy blocking ads on it, but my end result is also a nice, clean page that keeps me from epileptic seizures.

I was unaware they have a cable news channel. I've been listening to around 30 minutes of live broadcast on their website, and it also sounds like reasonable voices. I saw they are available on Roku for free so am signing up to view them a bit more and see what I think.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Fox News was a staple site for me pre-election.  I've pretty much dropped it at this point.  I continue to cruise through Disrn https://disrn.com/ and Issues & Insights https://issuesinsights.com/ every morning as I drink my coffee.  Both are a mix of news and opinion with very little tinfoil hattery.
I&I is closer to the middle of the road.  Each has a premium version in addition to the basic free site.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
It's not just lefties who believe that. A non-lefty co-worker I talk with every day still believes that about me, although I've told him a number of times that I just don't have access to any cable news programming.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife