Author Topic: Lenovo P Series?  (Read 532 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lenovo P Series?
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
I realize that as new as they are, chances are slim, but does anyone here have a Lenovo P series that they can report on? I guess I've decided my eight year old W530 is long in the tooth and am looking to replace it, probably with the P15 or P15S. I don't NEED a mobile workstation anymore, but I still screw around with software from the old job just to not lose the skill, so simply want one.

I've been super happy with the W530, plus I'm a big fan of the Lenovo workstation integrated docks, so want to keep that going as well. Anyways, if anyone has any experience...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Lenovo P Series?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
I've always used W and T series Thinkpads.  This is the first I have heard of the P series; I had to look it up.  I had a W541 and a newer T480 (both i7) at the same time, and the performance was about the same, although the T480 uses a lot less power.  I had to give the W541 back and a guy I work with who is a scrounger found me a W520.  It's really not much slower than the 541 or the 480.  A thin and light Thinkpad with a 15" 1920x1080 screen would be sweet (the 480's screen is a little small for work, what I want is the same thing in a 15), but you can get that in any series.

Do you need (or perhaps just really want) the extra internal HDD slot or extra memory slots?  That seems to be the main difference.  Or the 3840 x 2160 screen?

I'm not helping much :D
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »
I do like having extra memory slots. I don't run under 16meg and prefer 32 (which I would aftermarket upgrade to). The Quadro T1000 graphics card on the 15P is a main selling point for modeling work. I guess they're not as good as many cheaper cards for stuff like gaming, but  I don't do much of that.

Again, I don't NEED it, but just want to be able to dick around with my GIS and remote sensing software. If it wasn't for that, honestly  I could get by with most any Costco special for any of the other computer stuff I do these days.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 04:28:23 PM »
Again, I don't NEED it, but just want to be able to dick around with my GIS and remote sensing software. If it wasn't for that, honestly  I could get by with most any Costco special for any of the other computer stuff I do these days.

You don't want to do that.  I bought a Walmart special (Acer 15" i5) a couple of years ago, and the keyboard went out on it right away; probably still under warranty barely, I didn't even check.  The Acer has everything I need and I like the form factor, it's just not reliable so it sits collecting dust.

I just checked, my 2 year old T480 has 32GB of RAM, a i7-8650U processor, and a SSD.  And it's basically the same as that 5 year old W series that I think had an older-generation desktop processor and weighed 3 times as much but had a really nice 15" display.  I should see if I'm about due for a replacement, and if I can get a P series...

The difference in price between what you want and what you need is pretty small.  Go with whatever you think will make you happy, then don't second-guess it like I always do.  I can get an employees and friends discount from Lenovo, and it is shareable.  Don't know if it's as good a deal as what you can get on Black Friday, but if you're interested and want to check it out PM me.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:04:12 PM »

The difference in price between what you want and what you need is pretty small.  Go with whatever you think will make you happy, then don't second-guess it like I always do.  I can get an employees and friends discount from Lenovo, and it is shareable.  Don't know if it's as good a deal as what you can get on Black Friday, but if you're interested and want to check it out PM me.

Hey, thanks Bob. The Lenovo website has some killer deals going right now, but when I figure out  which configuration I want I might just shoot you a PM to see if your discount is better.