Author Topic: Discovered the flat band slingshot!  (Read 879 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Discovered the flat band slingshot!
« on: November 21, 2020, 09:19:15 PM »
I just wanted to share the following discovery of mine.

I grew up with a so-called "wrist rocket", never once breaking a single window.

I put probably tens of thousands of countless items downrange with it... marbles, smooth river rocks, lead roundball, nuts bolts and washers, Matchbox cars, a Barbie Doll head or whatever else I could fit in the pouch.  
I went through dozens if not hundreds of the tubular bands.  As a side note, the word "tubular" was a common adjective in those days (late 80's).

I got pretty good with it using simple instinctive snap-shooting.  

Anyway, it recently got back into playing around with the slingshot after installing a privacy fence around my backyard (I live within a fairly restrictive HOA).  When hunting for bands online, I kept running into flat bands and recalling some of Jörg Sprave's YouTube videos, I decided to give them a shot (with three slingshots to go with them, including one wrist-rocket type).

Along with them I purchased both 5/16" ball bearings (5000) and something I'd never seen before, hardened clay balls in both 5/16" and 1/2" (around 10k combined) that disintegrate on impact with hard items... yet being able to blast through an apple and stay intact.  I also have plenty of 00 buckshot that I cast for reloading.  

When I received the new flat band slingshots, I developed a bit of buyer's remorse as the band resistance was about a quarter that of the tube-band Marksman.  In fact it was so easy to draw back that I figured they were mere toys for kids.

I spent an afternoon pitting those different styles of flat-band slingshots (including the wrist-rocket configuration) against one of my Marksman wrist rockets with a new tube band believing I already knew the outcome.

I was surprised by the results! Shooting into blocks of clay (my wife throws pots), the ball bearings buried themselves deeper into the clay when using flat bands.    I thought the opposite would be true as the tubular band wrist rocket has a significantly heavier draw.  I plan on breaking out the cheap Caldwell Ballistics chronograph to confirm the higher velocities provided by the lighter flat bands over the heavier tube bands.

So far, I'm very impressed though a bit confused.   I still think the tube bands will launch heavier and larger fodder faster, but when it comes to 5/16" bearings and 00 buck, flat seems the way to go.  About a quarter the draw weight yet developing higher velocities. They were blasting buckshot though both sides of unopened 12oz cans of Sierra yuck in spectacular fashion... with an incredibly light draw.

I got about 200-250 shots out of the first flimsy-looking flat band which is about what I remember getting from my Marksman. A rip formed near where the band connected to the slingshot.  The tiny leather pouch seemed to remain in perfect condition.  I have 99 bands left; they're really inexpensive.  

If anyone gets the bug to get outdoors and put holes in things on-the-cheap, I can't think of anything that's more fun for the price.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:54:34 AM by Snowdog »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Discovered the flat band slingshot!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:54 PM »
From where did you order/buy them? 

I had a wrist rocket when I was a kid.  I never was very good with it, but I did enjoy using it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:51:29 PM »
I wonder if it's the air in the tubulars sloshing around inside the tube and generally absorbing energy wastefully.

Might also have to do with flats having better streamlining in some respects than the tubulars.

I wonder if that slingshot guy can answer that.

I did my bit with slingshots and sort of laid off them when laser sights became available for them.  

Terry, 230RN

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:08:14 PM »
Fly320s, here are some of the cheap slingshots and accessories that are bringing me so much joy:

The Marksman wrist-rocket (that I've been using for years):

https://www.amazon.com/Beeman-Marksman-Laserhawk-Folding-Slingshot/dp/B000MD68JM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=marksman+slingshot&qid=1606016906&sr=8-2

The wrist-rocket configuration using flat bands:

https://www.amazon.com/Chilion-Slingshot-Folding-Slingshots-Catapult/dp/B07WGXYTCP/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=marksman+slingshot&qid=1606016906&sr=8-11

Compact flat-band slingshot (that I'm starting to like more):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBXH295/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For giggles as it came with some bearings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FJ5RCMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bands that run 20/$15.  They can be found cheaper on Ebay but usually via slow-boat-from-China

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YW4M4KJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Clay slingshot ammo similar to what I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/Slingshot-2100PCS-Natural-Biodegradable-9mm-10mm/dp/B08H7CJL4M/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=slingshot+ammo&qid=1606017740&sr=8-5

5/16 steel ball bearings.  I splurged on this as it's the priciest purchase of them all.  I figure it should last a while, especially with the proper ammo recovery set-up and magnets

https://www.amazon.com/4000-Inch-Steel-Slingshot-Balls/dp/B00JZ18HQY/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=slingshot+ammo+5%2F16+steel&qid=1606017924&sr=8-24

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:36:42 AM by Snowdog »

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »
230RN,  I hadn't thought of that... but I suppose that air has to be moved around in a hurry and that could very well have a detrimental effect on band velocity.

I'll have to try the heavier stuff, like .45 caliber lead roundball with flatbands.  I think the tube bands might shine there, but I'd imagine there are thicker flat bands available.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:12:47 AM »
"hysteresis"  The internal resistance to a state change may have something to do with lower velocity from a tube elastic.  IIRC, This was a limiting factor in the wood-horn crossbows- they became, in effect, muscle bound.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
I've not messed with a slingshot in decades... had the wrist rocket, was never that impressed with them...

I tried making a traditional biblical-style sling once... that didn't go so well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:36:58 AM »
My Pop told me about a throwing device which was a long stick with a string on the end, and the string was in turn tied to a short stick with a slot in it to hold missiles.  I.e., rocks.

Flicking it just right would hurl rocks a surprisingly very long distance.  Accuracy sucked, but boy those rocks could get two or three Avenue blocks out there.

In my later years I tried a wrist rocket and decided I didn't like the extra bulk and preferred the Dennis the Menace back pocket style slingshot.  Had several of these over the years, still have one with flat bands.

I used to use it to discourage magpies from arguing in the trees outside my bedroom window at 5:30 AM.  I was working at the time and that was a bit early to get up.  Never really wanted to hit a magpie, but just violently rustle the branches near them with marbles.  It worked for several seasons.  Nowadays, retired, it doesn't bother me, but my next door neighbor is bugged by them.

I  used to use it to sling peach and plum pits randomly around the pastures in faint hope to get a couple of fruit trees growing.  It actually worked in one instance, but in that one I threw the pit by hand and it's growing pretty close.

I read somewhere that the most damaging thing for the rubbers on slingshots was UV light and Ozone, so I keep it pretty well sealed up in its box.  I've heard horrible stories of what happens when one of the rubbers lets go in your face, so I always wore glasses when playing with them.

I also found that my "accuracy," such as it was, seemed to be better when I just used "fast instinct" to shoot them rather than taking careful aim.  Go figure.

That's all the slingshot lore I have.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:05:05 AM by 230RN »

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 10:19:22 AM »

Are those sights on a slingshot?  If so, why two different ones?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 11:38:42 AM »
^^^One is for ground targets, the other for AA.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 02:15:37 PM »
^^^ Yet another deadly weapon that can bring down innocent airliners.  When will the madness end?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
^^^ Yet another deadly weapon that can bring down innocent airliners.  When will the madness end?

Not possible.  You'll need tungsten carbide for that and it's controlled by the recently expanded BATFS (they have added slingshots to the mix).

Griz, I really don't know what the deal is with those sights.  They came with slingshot but not installed and it's extremely doubtful they ever will be.   I think there are two different types to allow the user to install whichever they prefer.  I imagine if one were to be used, only one would be installed.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »
Lefty v righty shooters?

(Seemed that for arm's length sighting, those peeps would be way too small.  One for a horizontal hold, the other for an angled or vertical hold, shooter's preference?   ...Or am I thinking of the wrong things on the picture?  They also looked pretty fragile.)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »
I've not messed with a slingshot in decades... had the wrist rocket, was never that impressed with them...

I tried making a traditional biblical-style sling once... that didn't go so well.

I need to get back on that project. Never got very good but the few times a rock heads out humming like a ricochet .45 you realize the thing has ballistic potential.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
Oh yeah, a biblical-style sling can develop some power.

The Romans often used shaped projectiles, sometimes even designed so that they would whistle in flight.

https://www.livescience.com/55050-whistling-sling-bullets-from-roman-battle-found.html

I've seen a number of videos of demonstrations in the West Bank of Palestinians using slings against Israeli troops.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.