Author Topic: Guns in the Capitol  (Read 2097 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Guns in the Capitol
« on: November 23, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »
This is a new one on me. Apparently lawmakers and their staff can and do go heeled in the Capitol.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/gun-toting-congresswoman-elect-may-carry-glock-at-capitol
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Guns in the Capitol
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
And yet I almost got arrested for a 3” pocket knife entering the Botanical Gardens to take a leak.....

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
Why do the lawmakers need to carry a gun on Capitol grounds? They have already made it so a citizen can't carry a gun there so they are safe. Double standard douches! BTW, her method of carry in that picture in the article screams "look at me" more than "My gun is secure during attempted grab or physical confrontation".

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
The thigh holster pic was taken during a staged event. A "Freedom Cruise" put on by some of her supporters.  I expect the firearm WAS meant to be seen in that context.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
This is a new one on me. Apparently lawmakers and their staff can and do go heeled in the Capitol.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/gun-toting-congresswoman-elect-may-carry-glock-at-capitol

The congresswoman-elect may or may not be newsworthy, but why is it news for Fox Business?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 08:30:27 AM »
It would have been amusing if she were also carrying a "switchblade" which is now legal in Colorado.

Fainting spell squared.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 11:30:03 AM »

Laws for thee but not for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »
To be fair, the congresswoman in the article is on record saying she'd like to eliminate all gun-free zones.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »
Texans with a concealed handgun license get preferential access to the Texas capital building.  =D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:19:30 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »
To be fair, the congresswoman in the article is on record saying she'd like to eliminate all gun-free zones.

I'm by no means calling her out. She seems like a straight shooter. I was just blown away that it's allowed and wondering how many lawmakers (and staff!) might be hypocritically carrying weapons while passing gun laws.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 03:00:46 PM »
I'm by no means calling her out. She seems like a straight shooter. I was just blown away that it's allowed and wondering how many lawmakers (and staff!) might be hypocritically carrying weapons while passing gun laws.

That was my take on it too, and I thought she might underscore that fact for the sheeple (I hate that word despite its aptness) to sit up and take notice that "Yes, America, we actually do have an aristocracy."

Term limits !

Or draft nobodies into public office, per Buckley's suggestion...

I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University.

William F. Buckley, Jr

Oh, oh, oh, and I almost forgot.  Bar anyone who's ever attended law school from public office.

Yeah....yeah...  there ya go !

Terry, 230RN

Note:  The exact content of Buckley's sentiment varied from time to time... Here it is straight from reality:

https://youtu.be/2nf_bu-kBr4 (0:36)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:20:28 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »
Double post, dang-nab it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:19:48 PM by 230RN »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
Double post, dang-nab it.

well, even if a double post, you have a salient point and it should be said twice.
We have an aristocracy.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
https://www.axios.com/scoop-pistol-packing-freshmen-prompt-congress-gun-review-d115b85f-d830-48be-9e8e-59f5dbe222a5.html

The concept of handgun possession in the Capital is going to be looked at.

Handgun possession in the Capital will be going away, with the possible exception of Democrat leadership.  They must have protection at all cost.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 04:35:21 PM »
"This regulation is controlled by the Capitol Police Board,” said one of her spokespeople.

It seems to me that as a generalization at least, cops in blue cities* lean blue and cops in red cities lean red. So if the cops are making the decision, they'll tighten the regs.

*Yes, I realize this is fed land within a blue city, but I'm guessing like most feds that reside in and around  DC, the fed cops there, at least management, also lean blue.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
And yet I almost got arrested for a 3” pocket knife entering the Botanical Gardens to take a leak.....

I got into the UN building in NYC in 1998 with a 3" Buck folder.  I just threw it in the bin next to the magnetometer and walked through.  Different times.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 09:24:22 AM »
I got into the UN building in NYC in 1998 with a 3" Buck folder.  I just threw it in the bin next to the magnetometer and walked through.  Different times.

And three years later, I was walking into the Reagan Building in DC for a meeting for the first time since 9/11. Had my EDC knife on me and it was a no-go, plus they wouldn't hold it for me, so I had to run back to my hotel, drop it off, then run back to get to the meeting slightly late. In Summer. In DC. So add soaking wet with sweat.  :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 04:29:39 PM »
Congressional reps have started a petition asking Pelosi to stop Boebert from carrying her gun. I wonder how much sway the house speaker has with the capitol cops?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/01/02/democrats-ask-speaker-nancy-pelosi-to-keep-congresswoman-elect-lauren-boebert-from-carrying-on-capitol-hill/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 12:15:13 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colorado-congresswoman-elect-appears-to-score-win-on-capitol-gun-rights

Rep.-elect Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., wrote a letter to House leadership Friday, urging them to keep a 1967 rule that exempts lawmakers from a ban on firearms inside the Capitol building.

The letter, which was signed by 82 other current and incoming GOP Congress members -- including Dan Crenshaw, Mo Brooks, Louie Gohmert and Matt Gaetz -- came three days after 21 Democratic lawmakers asked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy to change the 53-year-old rule to keep Boebert from carrying her gun into work.

On Saturday, it appeared Boebert scored a victory, as new rules unveiled by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi did not appear to include a Democrat-proposed ban on firearms in the Capitol.

Given what recently happened at Pelosi's home, she might be rethinking the whole personal defense thing.  Or maybe I'm too optimistic.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 11:22:47 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9sykU5RI1Q

Rep. Boebert explains why she carries in the U.S. Capitol.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colorado-congresswoman-elect-appears-to-score-win-on-capitol-gun-rights

Given what recently happened at Pelosi's home, she might be rethinking the whole personal defense thing.  Or maybe I'm too optimistic.

A person can only re-think if they've ever thought initially . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 12:19:50 PM »

.....And possess a brain .......  =D   :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:41 PM »

A person can only re-think if they are capable of thought.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
A person can only re-think if they are capable of thought.
Re-emote
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge