Author Topic: Plumbing mystery  (Read 805 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Plumbing mystery
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Background: I live in a suburb that was the boonies when the house was built. I'm on a well. Water heater is an Amtrol external heater that operates like a heating zone off the boiler. Water heater was replaced about 12 years ago.

This morning I awoke and found that when I opened the hot water tap in the bathroom I got air mixed with dirty, rusty-looking water. Cold water ran clear and continuous. After running for several minutes, the hot water appears to have cleared up but it remains to be seen what's going to happen if I don't touch it for several hours.

I've looked in the basement and crawlspace and I don't see any sign of leaks.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Plumbing mystery
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »
Yeah... and I'm afraid it's probably not good news. It sounds like that dirty, rusty water is actually water from your boiler, leaking into your water heater from a breach in the tank coil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Yeah... and I'm afraid it's probably not good news. It sounds like that dirty, rusty water is actually water from your boiler, leaking into your water heater from a breach in the tank coil.
My first thought also.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »
Unfortunately, that was my first thought, too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
I don't know if you can replace the coil in the Amtrol units or if you have to replace the entire unit. I'm not that familiar with them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
OK...

I've looked at a couple of the Amtrol indirect-fired water heaters and it looks like all of them have a removable heat exchange coil, so hopefully you won't have to go through replacing the entire unit.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 02:30:32 PM »
Depending on the unit sometimes the labor puts cost of repair or replacement unit side by side.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
OK...

I've looked at a couple of the Amtrol indirect-fired water heaters and it looks like all of them have a removable heat exchange coil, so hopefully you won't have to go through replacing the entire unit.

Mike, where did you find that info?

I installed the one that's in there now. I'm half inclined to say it would be less work to replace the whole thing, but I don't know how the cost compares.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 04:21:01 PM »
Amtrol's products website for their indirect water heaters.

Not sure which model you have...

Premier: https://www.amtrol.com/product/premier/

Hydromax: https://www.amtrol.com/product/hydromax-indirect-fired-water-heaters/

Boilermate: https://www.amtrol.com/product/boilermate-indirect-fired-water-heaters/

But if you scroll down to the specs, all three say that the coils can be removed for service or replacement.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
Mine is a Boilermate. But they have changed the design -- the connections for mine are on the bottom, and they are not easily removable for cleaning and servicing. I'm not sure they're removable at all -- don't remember.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »
You need to call Amtrol with your serial number and model.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:32 AM »
Good news! The water heater isn't leaking.

But ... I need a new boiler  :facepalm:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 09:19:25 AM »
Ah crap.

Sorry guy...

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
On a Holiday weekend no less ... sorry to hear that Hawkmoon.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
God is good.

The service technician arrived this morning, and found that the leak wasn't the boiler after all, it was a pinhole in a copper elbow just outside the boiler. He replaced the elbow and things seem to be okay. I am greatly relieved, because I'm not really in a position to pay for a new boiler right now.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
I suspect you're one of the few genuinely thankful for black Friday!   ;)
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
God is good.

The service technician arrived this morning, and found that the leak wasn't the boiler after all, it was a pinhole in a copper elbow just outside the boiler. He replaced the elbow and things seem to be okay. I am greatly relieved, because I'm not really in a position to pay for a new boiler right now.

Awesome!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
God is good.

Great news!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
And that was the cause of the dirty rusty water coming from your hot water taps?

Great news, though!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »
And that was the cause of the dirty rusty water coming from your hot water taps?

Great news, though!

I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. Somehow, at points in the cycle the pinhole must have allowed air into the system a,d the air moving through the system dislodged some sediment. I guess. I dunno. I found the tag on the boiler from when my mother had it installed -- 1985. So the boiler is 35 years old, along with all the piping associated with it.

I'll just have to see if it spits out any more air when I open a faucet. Meanwhile, I have two fans running to dry the basement floor.