Author Topic: Boy Scouts question  (Read 2038 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Boy Scouts question
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »
Post withdrawn as breaking someone's privacy.

I should have realized that before I posted it.

Duh.

Rx = more coffee.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
I've not seen any GPS app or device that wouldn't let you switch between at least several systems and LAT/LONG as Dd, DMS, and DMm.

None of the compass apps I've tried for Android offers that option, and the native Apple compass app (as it appears on my late wife's iPhone 4) doesn't offer it. Remember, I'm not looking at "GPS" apps, I'm looking at/for compass apps that also read out your position. All those I've tried use latitude and longitude (some in degrees, minutes, and seconds -- others in decimal degrees).

As a side effect of this investigation, I've been looking at USGS maps for where I live.  (The 1:24,000 series) The second most recent update I found on-line is dated 1984. Those look like the USGS quadrangle maps I'm accustomed to -- same colors, and grid ticks on the borders but not running across the sheet/ The newest version is dated 2020 (IIRC). The colors have changed. The maps no longer show small, black rectangles where houses are sited in non-urban areas. Bodies of water are now just white, which makes it difficult to distinguish between a bodty of water and an unforested field or meadon. But the grid lines now run through the body of the map.

Overall, I find the new format to be much less satisfactory than the old format. Where they agree, though, is that the map grip is the UTM grid. Tha latitude and longitude in degree, minutes, and seconds is given at each corner of the quadrangle, but there are no intermediate ticks to help with interpolating a position in degrees, minutes, and seconds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2020, 12:11:37 PM »
None of the compass apps I've tried for Android offers that option, and the native Apple compass app (as it appears on my late wife's iPhone 4) doesn't offer it. Remember, I'm not looking at "GPS" apps, I'm looking at/for compass apps that also read out your position. All those I've tried use latitude and longitude (some in degrees, minutes, and seconds -- others in decimal degrees).

Then search for GPS apps that include a compass. I use GPS Status and have a compass and eight different location formats, and can send my coordinates to email, text, notepad, or wherever with a click.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_US&gl=US
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."