Author Topic: snow blower recommendations ?  (Read 1905 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: snow blower recommendations ?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
I would fire mine up for 3 inches or so, but I would also do about 6 driveways and about 4 blocks of sidewalk before I called it quits. When I left I sold it to a neighbor explaining that with ownership came great responsibility. ;)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
I'm absolutely sure you're right.  And I'm sure that's not the only thing . . . . .   :rofl:

But hopefully they will come to your aid as you collapse clutching your chest whilst shoveling the snow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
I have two Honda single stage snowblowers.  I bought the first one in the winter of 1994 or 95.  A Honda 621.  6HP with 21 inch swath.  Around 2004 I bought another Honda 520.  5HP and 20 inch swath for my folks driveway.  I inherited the 520 a couple years later when mom moved to assisted living.  I still have both of them and alternate using them.  Replaced the scraper bar on the bottom of both, the rubber tips on the augers, and had them tuned up maybe twice over the years.  They do a great job, even on heavy wet snow if you don't try an force too big a bite.

Generally, they start right up after being stored...though I have recently, last couple years, had to pull a plug and squirt a bit of starter fluid to get 'em going.  No big deal there though the plug placing is a bit inconvenient for those of us who have fat fingers and tool challenged.

So maybe 25 years on the 621 and roughly 16 on the 520.  Tell me of another brand that performs that well.  

PS:  My Northstar 5500 generator has a 9hp Honda engine.  I bought that in 1998 after the derecho in Michigan.  Still going strong when needed.  

Honda Rules!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 02:50:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. I figure I would only use it a few times a year. But those times I will be glad to have it. Pete

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 07:14:01 AM »
"I remember the red and black ones, flat paddles. Google did show the earlier white and red ones from the 60s."

Yep, the red and white ones were the first two generations, I think. Dad's was first generation. I really ought to try and get in touch with the guy who bought it to see if it's still running. I'm betting that it is.

Apparently you can still get paddles for them. As I said, the only draw backs to them is that they were smokey and loud because of the two-stroke. And they vibrated like mad when the paddles started to wear unevenly. They weren't great in heavy wet snow, but no paddle machine is going to be.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Though you guys might like to know I bought an ariens compact 24. We had a good storm and it got its first work out this morning. It started easy and was a breeze to clear the driveway. I even did my neighbors just for kicks!  Pete

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 08:53:45 PM »
Though you guys might like to know I bought an ariens compact 24. We had a good storm and it got its first work out this morning. It started easy and was a breeze to clear the driveway. I even did my neighbors just for kicks!  Pete

Glad you found something that works for you.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536