Author Topic: Cyber attacks on American hospitals  (Read 641 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Cyber attacks on American hospitals
« on: November 26, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/us/hospital-cyber-attack.html

Clearly, American healthcare did not have enough to worry about with the pandemic and all.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Cyber attacks on American hospitals
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
Way to be asleep at the switch, 46!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
Put Hillary on it, she has experience
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »
I can't read the article because they want me to log in, which I don't want to do. Is this the University of Vermont ransomware attack? If so, they weren't really asleep at the switch. They had layers of protection in place, but they weren't good enough. A good friend of mine is an IT manager for a large hospital chain around here. He knows the head of IT at UVM.

My friend's hospital has had their entire IT department working overtime for the past two or three months, trying to anticipate where and how the next attack will come and shore up the defenses in advance. They know that their system is constantly being probed. So far, they've been able to keep the doors closed. Partially as a result of the UVM attack, the local hospital has a doomsday plan -- if they see an attack getting through their first line of defense, they're just going to pull the plug and shut the whole system down.

A smaller hospital near here (in fact, the hospital where my hip replacement was done last year) got hit. Fortunately, that hospital has a public web site that's pretty much separate from the internal network with patient records, etc. The attack took the public web site off-line, but it didn't get to the actual medical network, so they dodged that bullet. But it was a wake-up call. Whoever is doing this has shifted from attacking municipalities (which they were doing with regularity a year or two ago) to going after hospitals.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »
Air gap FTW...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 09:54:30 PM »
A USB device can EASILY get around your Air Gap in a Hospital
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 09:59:09 PM »
Air gap FTW...

Really, really not feasible with the pushes for healthcare information exchange in the US.  This is a good place to start: Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act  Hospitals are more or less expected and in someplace required to be tied into healthcare information exchanges.

A smaller hospital near here (in fact, the hospital where my hip replacement was done last year) got hit. Fortunately, that hospital has a public web site that's pretty much separate from the internal network with patient records, etc. The attack took the public web site off-line, but it didn't get to the actual medical network, so they dodged that bullet. But it was a wake-up call. Whoever is doing this has shifted from attacking municipalities (which they were doing with regularity a year or two ago) to going after hospitals.

Appropriate comic:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 11:17:35 PM »
Really, really not feasible with the pushes for healthcare information exchange in the US.  This is a good place to start: Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act  Hospitals are more or less expected and in someplace required to be tied into healthcare information exchanges.

Appropriate comic:

I know it's overly simplified,  but I was going for a tongue in cheek.  "Doctor,  it hurts when I do X!".  Doctor: "Well stop doing that!"
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.