Author Topic: Paging Millcreek  (Read 415 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Paging Millcreek
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:57:20 PM »
Of possible interest to the resident hospital liability expert:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/01/covid-ethics-committee/617261/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Paging Millcreek
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 10:40:56 PM »
From the cited article: "Based on some randomized lottery system?"

I'm sure several people have brought up the "rational" notion of a random selection process.    You know, ten patients, five short straws, five long ones or the digitized version of that.   Yes, a "let G-d sort 'em out" concept.

I wonder how they dealt with that one.

"First, do no harm."  Yet harm must be done in the decision process.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere#Origin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:00:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 10:56:35 PM »
This was a very good article and pretty spot on, in my experience.  My system has not yet faced the crisis point that they did in New York but just like everyone else, we have contingency plans and ethics committees up the wazoo. 

What we don't want is having to make these decisions on the fly, in the height of an emergency, without government support, and then face prosecution, as with the Memorial Medical Center catastrophe during Hurricane Katrina.  Suffice it to say that the typical governmental body does not want to take the heat of declaring an emergency in which disaster standards of care apply.

On a related note, I went through our official vaccine priority assessment, and was rated in the lowest priority class, as an executive without frequent direct patient contact.  In my view, this is as it should be. Our first shipment of vaccine is expected in late December, and it is unlikely we will receive enough to vaccinate all employees, thus the sorting by priority class. I wonder if my wife, as a teacher, may get the vaccine before I do, as part of the push to reopen elementary schools.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
REF (Neutrality questioned):
Memorial Medical Center catastrophe during Hurricane Katrina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Medical_Center_and_Hurricane_Katrina

The following year, Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro testified in the same case that "human beings were killed as a result of actions by doctors" at Memorial after Hurricane Katrina.[16] However, he explained that he did not plan to prosecute anyone. "Whether or not there was a homicide and whether or not there is a case that can be brought are different matters."[16]

"'Tis a puzzlment." --The King of Siam (Yul Brynner, in The King and I)

I reckon planning for a major disaster is relatively easy compared to budgeting for acquisition and disposition of personnel, supplies and services (electricity, e.g.) for the worst case situation, is not so easy.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:48:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.