Author Topic: $100 Billion and Schools Will Open Again  (Read 1281 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
$100 Billion and Schools Will Open Again
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
The teachers unions told Biden we can get schools going again for $100 billion in tax dollars.

Seems like maybe they should talk to grocery stores for advice - they figured out how to keep working for free.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/12/05/joe-biden-has-spoken-with-teachers-unions-says-elementary-schools-could-reopen-for-100-billion-a-year/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: $100 Billion and Schools Will Open Again
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
The Mafia are amateurs compared to the unions
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »
Oh.  Is that all?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 12:11:37 AM »
Well... what's the 10 billion dollar plan?  I didn't find it linked off the Biden quote from your "twitchy" link.

If we want to have a discussion about what these folks are proposing, we should probably understand what they are proposing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 03:02:41 AM »
The Mafia are amateurs compared to the unions

The National Education Association is the new Mafia.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:35 AM »
My kids' elementary school has been open all school year.  The cost?  Same as always.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
Well... what's the 10 billion dollar plan?  I didn't find it linked off the Biden quote from your "twitchy" link.

If we want to have a discussion about what these folks are proposing, we should probably understand what they are proposing.

$100 billion.

He seems to go over it in the linked video. Smaller classes, sanitation, new ventilation technology, and several other things. That could all easily cost $100 billion or more, and it's just for elementary schools.

Not sure why schools require sophisticated ventilation technology to safely open when Costco doesn't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
And for that 100 billion they probably get this:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »

After 5 years of research and development. Then CA will slap a P65 warning on it and it's back to the drawing board and a demand for more money. It's for the children.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:39:28 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »

Saw a youtube video from a wood worker guy where they tested that set up against several high dollar dust filter systems and the box fan and filter out did several of the fancy and expensive name brand systems.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
Saw a youtube video from a wood worker guy where they tested that set up against several high dollar dust filter systems and the box fan and filter out did several of the fancy and expensive name brand systems.

Yep. They work.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 12:21:05 PM »
Ghost filters
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »

A box fan and a 4 or 5 inch thick filter ought to do a splendid job.  1" filter will work but might have too much back pressure.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
Paying off the unions for their support.

And not a dollar of that $100 billion will get anywhere close to the classroom, just like increased taxes and bonds for schools do not reach the classroom now.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »
I do the hepa box fan around here. It catches a lot of crap.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
The irony is that the best way to change building ventilation systems to avoid spreading germs is to do the opposite of what the greenies have been forcing down our throats for many years. In current technology, a typical office building (and probably also a typical school) ventilates occupied rooms with a mix of aout 20% fresh air from outside, and about 80% air that's recirculated from within the building. If that 80% is contaminated with germs, there are basically two ways to deal with it:

(1) Don't recirculate it. Exhaust it, and supply 100% outside air. That means a massive increase in energy use for heating and cooling. Or

(2) Put HEPA filtration into the recirculation system. That reduces the efficiency of the system, requiring (probably) more powerful fan motors and significantly more frequent changes of filters.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
    The push to reopen schools is rooted in sexism, racism and misogyny.

β€” ChicagoTeachersUnion (@CTULocal1) December 6, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/12/06/chicago-teachers-union-the-push-to-reopen-schools-is-rooted-in-sexism-racism-and-misogyny/

- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
(1) Don't recirculate it. Exhaust it, and supply 100% outside air. That means a massive increase in energy use for heating and cooling. Or

Not necessarily.  Energy recovery ventilators are able to exchange both sensible and latent heat from an outgoing exhaust air stream to the incoming fresh air stream.  They do so very effectively.  I do not know if any of them are considered virus safe.

How about instead of either of your proposed options, we just hammer the normally-filtered air stream with UV-C?  Cheap and easy.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:41 PM »
Not necessarily.  Energy recovery ventilators are able to exchange both sensible and latent heat from an outgoing exhaust air stream to the incoming fresh air stream.  They do so very effectively.  I do not know if any of them are considered virus safe.

How about instead of either of your proposed options, we just hammer the normally-filtered air stream with UV-C?  Cheap and easy.

Energy recovery heat exchangers are a possibility.

A couple of months ago I discussed this with a friend, one of the best mechanical engineers in the state. Her opinion was that there are potential solutions, but that none of them will be cheap when it comes to retrofitting existing buildings.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
The minimum wage elderly lady at my local dollar store yesterday didn't seem upset about coming into work.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/12/07/now-thats-unhinged-oregon-teacher-loses-her-ever-loving-mind-on-anti-lockdown-protesters-annnd-omg-lol-watch/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »
$100 billion.

He seems to go over it in the linked video. Smaller classes, sanitation, new ventilation technology, and several other things. That could all easily cost $100 billion or more, and it's just for elementary schools.

Not sure why schools require sophisticated ventilation technology to safely open when Costco doesn't.
The question is how much of the $100 billion will actually be spent on projects at local schools.  I am sure the numerous committees and boards set up to study the issue will soak up quite a bit. 

Not counting how efficient the local contractors are at doing the work or that a lot of it will end up being spent on projects the states and school districts are already trying to get funding for. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge