Author Topic: Christmas light displays are a reminder of "systemic biases"  (Read 1052 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Christmas light displays are a reminder of "systemic biases"
« on: December 07, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »
This guy's house needs more lights, way more lights. Like to where the ISS crew will think someone nuked the city

St. Anthony resident receives anonymous letter chastising them for their Christmas light display and calls it a reminder of "systemic biases against our neighbors who don't celebrate Christmas or can't afford to put up lights of their own."
    It further calls the lights "harmful." pic.twitter.com/Xh11jbnswz

— CrimeWatchMpls (@CrimeWatchMpls) December 7, 2020
“The idea of twinkling, colorful lights are a reminder of divisions that continue to run though our society, a reminder of systemic biases against our neighbors who don’t celebrate Christmas or who can’t afford to put up lights of their own,” it reads. “We must do the work of educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like yours can have.”
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/12/07/neighbor-sends-anonymous-letter-shaming-a-resident-for-the-harmful-impact-of-their-christmas-lights/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Christmas light displays are a reminder of "systemic biases"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »
Yup, I would immediately triple my lights and decorations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »
That reminds me, I need to get someone to plug in my Christmas lights. They plug into an outdoor outlet that is on the ceiling of my front porch and I can't reach it safely with the bum shoulder. The outlet is switched with my porch lights. Yeah, I leave them up all year and unplug them after the 4th of July.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »
What a pathetic shriveled little life that person must lead.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
I put up a few lights this year.  Last year's stuff worked just fine.  Spent zero money this year.  I don't put up much, but I like at least a few Christmas lights.  I also have a small 3 foot tree with a string of lights wrapped around it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 09:53:14 PM »
“We must do the work of educating ourselves about the harmful impact an outward facing display like yours can have.”

So you're saying that somebody who is not trying to stop you from doing what you want or celebrating any way you want to, is having a harmful impact on you?  Now wouldn't that make protesting against your neighbor an "outward facing action"?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:32:57 PM »
Do you think this is real? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »

If this was 1950  I'd say no.  It's 2020 so,  yes.   It's real.   ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 10:37:09 PM »

One part of me says yes another no. But with seeing and hearing things similar to this from SJWs, Hollywood elites, etc... on TV, twitter etc... more yes than no nowadays.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
This just happens to be the first year I'll be hanging lights outside. For once, my timing is not half bad.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »
So colorful Christmas lights are "systemic biases" . . .?  :facepalm:

Too bad the troll was anonymous - I'd tell her I was carefully UNbiased in my display since I included BLACK lights among the other colors, but it was obvious SHE was just looking past them as if they weren't there.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 07:16:44 AM »
Hum... I really should decorate the hell out of my house for Christmas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
I would engage Griswold mode and include typical Christmas type animals in various stages of reproduction.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
Yeah.  If I had received a letter like that....   I'd be figuring out a way to park a dozen or so of these in my yard.   

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »
What a pathetic shriveled little life you that person must lead.

This sentence, with one modification above, is perfect for a rebuttal when you read The Stupid that some effete, boot licking libtard whines on the innertube.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw