Author Topic: RIP Chuck Yeager  (Read 1035 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
RIP Chuck Yeager
« on: December 07, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »
Rip Chuck

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chuck-yeager-the-first-man-to-break-the-sound-barrier-dead-at-97

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: RIP Chuck Yeager
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 11:32:56 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:24:18 AM »
Godspeed, Chuck.

You'll break c up there, no doubt.

Terry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 08:21:25 AM »
Bummer to hear. That caliber of hero is literally a dying breed. What an amazing life he led. RIP.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »
RIP General.

Too bad his family was so dysfunctional.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
He could be arrogant as hell, but it was a supreme confidence born of ability, experience, and accomplishment. If you haven't read his autobiography, do so. It's a very good read.

RIP.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:40 AM »
He could be arrogant as hell, but it was a supreme confidence born of ability, experience, and accomplishment. If you haven't read his autobiography, do so. It's a very good read.

RIP.

Brad

Read it the first time I think in junior high.

Comment was about the completely dysfunctional relationship with his kids.  After Glennis died he remarried.  Whether the new wife or the kids were the majority of the problem doesn’t matter.  When you and your kids are suing each other there’s a problem.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »

Comment was about the completely dysfunctional relationship with his kids.  After Glennis died he remarried.  Whether the new wife or the kids were the majority of the problem doesn’t matter.  When you and your kids are suing each other there’s a problem.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to infer I was commenting on your post. I was talking about how people sometimes perceived him as arrogant. He could certainly come across that way, but only because he didn't put up with fluff, filler, and dumbassery. He would talk cars and airplanes all day long, but never, ever try to BS him. He could see through it in an instant and was done with you at that point.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »
There are two autobiographies I've read that I recommended to my older Scouts...Schwarzkopf 's book and Yeager's.  Both are full of entertainment, and good advice for young men.  Honor, integrity, courage, leadership.

I believe that there are still men like Yeager out there.  I fear that much of the BS in the world is keeping them on the sidelines at a time we could use them out front.

Hope the angel wings will hold up to his Mach speeds...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 11:23:34 AM »
There are two autobiographies I've read that I recommended to my older Scouts...Schwarzkopf 's book and Yeager's.  Both are full of entertainment, and good advice for young men.  Honor, integrity, courage, leadership.

I believe that there are still men like Yeager out there.  I fear that much of the BS in the world is keeping them on the sidelines at a time we could use them out front.

Hope the angel wings will hold up to his Mach speeds...

Being a progressive SJW trans female who cries and is ashamed of being white is the new Right Stuff 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »

That was really good !

Terry, 230RN

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »
It looks like General Yeager exited the AO just in time.  RIP, General.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.