Author Topic: Bullmastiff or Rottweiler?  (Read 22109 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Bullmastiff or Rottweiler?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 07:52:32 PM »
The Mastiff is the breed of kings.

Here2learn, how ever, is no king.   grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Warren

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
I do spend a lot of time on a throne though.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 02:19:59 AM »
I don't know anything about bullmastiffs except that they have a reputation as a gentle breed. "Reputation" is a self-perpetuating thing though.

I had a shepherd/rott for ten years and he was a great, sweet natured family dog (if not terribly bright). Known a bunch of other rottweilers that were as well.

I'm not a fan of purebreeds because I suscribe to the health theories posited above, but if I were looking at a rottweiler my biggest concern would be perception of the breed from the potential lawsuit standpoint, and locating one that won't have health problems.

p.s. someone mentioned that it's difficult to have a dog trained to hold a bad guy without injury, and I think that's true, shepherds are particularly smart dogs, and even law-enforcement shepherd dogs with intensive training frequently have problems with that.

Also, if you haven't owned a large breed before, it's a challenge. I have a 9 month old, 100 lb ball of fur I'll loan you for a week if you want to try it out for a test run Cheesy
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 09:17:15 AM »
I don't really know anything about Mastiffs but, I have owned a Rotty and known a lot of them.
Mine was a "standard" and weighed about 85 lbs. Not one of the overgrown 150 pounders some are fond of.
She was even tempered, great with kids and friends, very gentle when rough housing (she applied the appropriate force for whoever she was playing with) and a big lap dog. Everyone who visited the house loved her.

We had a little mongrel (about 25 lbs) and a blond German Shepherd when we rescued her at 18 months old. Her and shepherd (male) got along fine from the start.

The mutt, who thought he was king of the roost, attacked her. We figured him for dead but, faster than we could blink, she flipped him over on his back, had her paws crossed over his chest and gave him a deep growl. Then let him up without a scratch.
I figured this was just a fluke, but then he attacked her again and she did the same thing. After that they got along great.

That said, she was very territorial. If you didn't belong there, you better leave, quick.
Once you were out of her territory, you were fine.
I have seen the same behavior in most of the Rotty's I've known.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 11:15:16 AM »
Irish Wolfhound
Have you considered a Boxer?
A German Shepherd Dog might be a viable alternative.

Ive had a really good experience with pit bulls

I'm so sorry, I neglected the mandatory recommendation of something outside of the paramaters of your question......
I highly recommend Begals. 
No good reason, but you asked about Mastiff vs. Rottweiler, so I'd better suggest an alternate breed.....

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

So sorry for having the temerity to express an alternate *expletive deleted*ing viewpoint...

At least the GSD is in the same psychological range as a rottie or a mastiff -- you know, loyal to a fault and protective as hell.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
Grouchy old bastard!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 11:37:32 AM »
Any other blindingly obvious observations you want to make?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
I had a "doberweiller" that ex-hubby and I got as a puppy.  She was very smart, very big and very wonderful.   She could be stubborn-our trainer told us that it was the "rottie brain" (she had rotties) and always reminded us that when we gave her a command, we'd better be sure that we had the time and patience to get her to obey it. She was a bit dominant to other dogs, but was very good with people.

I'd suggest finding a reputable vet and or trainer and putting your question to them, then asking for recommendations for a breeder. 

Oh yeah, check your HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE for any breed restrictions. 

FWTW our trainer hated beagles, she found them impossible to break of their barkiness.
Experiment with a chemist!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
If you are looking for a watch dog, a dog that barks when strangers are near, take a look at sporting dogs. Most are loyal to the family and will head warning when danger is present. My lab is one of the those silly in the face, pet me all day friendly dogs, but if she doesn't like someone coming up to the car or comes near the house she lets out the deepest bark I have ever heard from a lab.

I worked for a vet for three years while in college, never met a Rotty, Pit, GSD or mastiff that wasn't wanting to be my friend. Most of the mean dogs I ran into were little ankle biters owned by widows.

An attack dog? I'm not sure, most are a lawsuit waiting to happen when a dog is trained that way.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
Get a liger instead.  It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed. Bred for its skills in magic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
Fistful's been watching strange movies again.  Gonna have to revoke your DVD player privileges.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
RocketMan, go call your grandma or somethin', you're bothering me.  Gosh!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »
One day I'll have to tell you the situation where I happened to see that movie.  It was a little...unexpected.
Then again, maybe I won't tell you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.