Author Topic: Beef Bourguignon  (Read 10069 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Beef Bourguignon
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2021, 04:10:00 PM »
Executive summary: Man, that was good! I am going to make it on a regular basis.

Long story: I was waffling between laughing at myself and screaming as I made it today. First off, I have never had so many New Year calls and video chats come in as today. All while I was prepping and  cooking. I would normally let them go, but if my 93-year old dad calls, I have to answer, and if my sister calls and I don't answer, then she calls my dad and tells him, "Ben's being mean!" and then I have to hear it from my dad. Once those calls came through, I literally tossed the phone into the other room.  :laugh:

Then, I don't know if it's the Alzheimer's or what, but I was totally unprepared for making this. I somehow ignored or forgot just how much time everything takes, so started late, then I somehow grabbed chicken stock instead of beef stock at the store. Luckily I had extra stew beef, so while I was prepping the dish, I also just boiled up my own beef stock for it. Then I was so disorganized that I was spilling stuff right and left onto the floor and everywhere, so had to keep pausing to clean up my messes.  :laugh:

Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward. I ended up tripling the brandy, just because, and go big or go home. I forgot about the serving it over mashed potatoes or similar, so just had it straight, with the homemade bread to dunk in the gravy, and blaukraut (like sauerkraut except with red cabbage, so more sweet than sour) on the side. That ended up being a good combo. I have enough leftovers that I'll make them with mashed potatoes on Sunday.

The wine was a really good choice, not just for the cooking, but for the drinking. Once the two cups went in the recipe, there was just enough leftover for a Ben sized goblet of wine. As I said earlier, I'm not normally a Pinot drinker, but will buy this again. Though with how I discombobulated myself today, I was really close to skipping the wine and going straight for the whiskey.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2021, 07:34:53 PM »
We did mashed potatoes and French bread  :laugh:

The mashed potatoes were made with Yukon Gold and one large Russet (what I had on hand). Peeled, boiled in salted water, mashed then mixed in butter, buttermilk, cream cheese and chives. That was pretty good also and I'll do that again.

The French bread from the grocery was good. Next time I do the bread also.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
Debating making this this weekend.

Also debating making the pork equivalent, which uses white wine instead of red.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
Debating making this this weekend.

Also debating making the pork equivalent, which uses white wine instead of red.

It was so good  I can't tell you. I want to make it again, without all the interruptions.  :laugh:

I actually bought another bottle of the Acrobat wine for it yesterday. I'll probably get the other fixins' and make it in the next week or two. If I had a bigger dutch oven, I would double that recipe, because I did not get sick of the leftovers at all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
Yeah, I want to make it given all of the success you guys have reported here. I have the chuck roast in the freezer, just need to get some incidentals.

But I also have a beautiful chunk of pork loin (picked up a big one the other week at Walmart, slow cooked half of it in orange sauce) that would make a fantastic bowl of pork stew...

It's going to be chill this weekend, so it's a good weekend to do this...

The pork stew recipe I use is similar, but not as many moving parts....

Gah... decisions, decisions!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 06:46:56 AM »
Nice... I have exactly 3 pounds of really nice chuck roast in the freezer... Well, it's defrosting in the refrigerator now.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day for it.

36 for the high, 20 for the low.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »
Going to pend this over until tomorrow, and I'm also going to make it in the crockpot.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »
Picked up 2 pounds of frozen pearl onions at my local store this morning. 1 pound for tomorrow, 1 pound for later in case I want to make creamed pearl onions.

Also picked up a bottle of Kendall Jackson Reserve Pinot Noir. No clue how it's going to be, but generally KJs seem to be decent wines. I'll probably crack it and have a glass this evening.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 09:09:36 AM »
Boogaloo is in the crockpot.

And boy is my kitchen a mess right now. Smells amazing, though.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 02:29:21 PM »
How was the wine?

Did you use baking soda while browning the meat?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2021, 06:28:52 PM »
Wine is quite good. Had a glass with my dinner. Not fond of reds in general but I like this one.

Didn't do the baking soda. Discovered I'm out when I went to grab it this morning.

The beef Boogaloo?

Holy balls it's good!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »
I'm gonna start calling mine beef boogaloo too. In fact the next time I make it, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt.  :laugh:

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2021, 10:34:53 PM »
I'm gonna start calling mine beef boogaloo too. In fact the next time I make it, I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt.  :laugh:

Beef Boogaloo it is!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2021, 07:04:44 AM »
Going to be really interesting to see how it tastes tonight.

One of things that I didn't like about it was that I think I messed up the seasonings a bit. It just didn't taste... balanced. It was good, no doubt about that.

Could have also been the tannins in the red wine, I don't know.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The only reason I started calling it that was I was too lazy to cut & paste Bourguignon every time because no matter what, I can never spell that word. Damned Frenchies!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »
Going to be really interesting to see how it tastes tonight.

One of things that I didn't like about it was that I think I messed up the seasonings a bit. It just didn't taste... balanced. It was good, no doubt about that.

Could have also been the tannins in the red wine, I don't know.

It took a long time for the alcohol to evaporate out of my batch.

I might roast the carrots and pearl onions separately and add them both to the stew towards the end of cooking. My carrots and pearl onions were softer than I prefer, they were falling apart when serving.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
The alcohol evaporates out, but that just concentrates the tannins. Maybe I should have let it breath a bit more. I basically opened the bottle and glugged it in. Then I forgot and left the bottle open on the counter for several hours. When I had it with dinner, it was quite nice.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention...

Instead of mixing the flour with butter, I strained a bunch of the beef fat and off the top and threw it into the freezer to set up.

Then I pulled the solidified fat off, returned the broth to the crock pot, and foamed out the beef fat in a pan on the stove. Then I mixed in 2 T of cornstarch and briefly cooked it. I didn't try to make a roux out of it as I would do with flour, I just made sure that all of the cornstarch was incorporated.

Then into the crock pot with in and stirred it well to mix it in. It immediately started to thicken up nicely and made for a very satisfying gravy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2021, 01:27:05 PM »
Just got a look at the weather forecast for this evening.

It's been cloudy and chill since yesterday afternoon, but this afternoon/early evening it's supposed to start with a mixed combination of rain and snow and just be gross and yucky until tomorrow afternoon.

And that, folks, is what a comfort food like beef boogaloo is all about!

Well, that and a hot whiskey toddy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2021, 09:00:02 AM »
Well, it's beef boogaloo weather again! It was SO good last year! I'm taking some suggestions from you guys above for my now second batch of the stuff.

I'm driving to the fancy grocery store in the city this morning to get the ingredients for this weekend. I figure I'll get it in before Tday, since after that I'm into turkey leftovers through Christmas (I make a Christmas turkey), then January will be boogaloo time again.

Now if I can just find that Hawaiian shirt to wear while cooking it...  :lol:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day when I pulled a bunch of stew meat out of the freezer to make my latest batch of chili.

I'll probably make a batch in December after it gets good and cold. We're in a bit of a warming trend here right now.

I still think that making it in the crock pot is really the way to go.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2021, 09:15:31 AM »
What are you going to serve it over this time?

Rice? Noodles? Potatoes?

I like mine over mashed potatoes with broccoli on the side. The bitterness of the broccoli helps cut the fattiness of the boogaloo.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »
What are you going to serve it over this time?

Rice? Noodles? Potatoes?

I like mine over mashed potatoes with broccoli on the side. The bitterness of the broccoli helps cut the fattiness of the boogaloo.

Mashed potatoes, since I forgot last time.  :laugh:

I like both broccoli and asparagus. I might go roasted asparagus only because it sounds as fancy as the beef boogaloo. Or do each on different days, since there's gonna be a lot of yummy leftover meals.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
Go roasted broccoli.

10 times better than steamed broccoli and it doesn't make your piss stink.  :rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
I might do that. I've never done roasted broccoli - I've always steamed it.

Also, the Epoch Times (where I got the beef boogaloo recipe) just last week posted this recipe for Daube Provencale, which I guess is a Provence region twist to the Burgundy boogaloo. It also sounds really good:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html

Daube Provençale
Serves 6
2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds stewing beef (shank, sirloin tip, chuck roast, or blade), trimmed and cut
into 1 1/2- to 2-inch cubes
2 cups peeled and roughly chopped carrots
2 celery stalks, ends removed and roughly chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cups dry red wine
4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
With butcher twine, tie together the rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves to make a
bouquet garni. Set aside.
11/10/21, 7:40 AM Daube Provençale: Slow-Cooked Comfort From Southern France
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 5/11
Tie together the rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves to make a bouquet garni. (Audrey Le Goff)
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F with a rack in the middle.
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over low heat. Add garlic to the pan; cook for 5
minutes or until the garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic with a
slotted spoon and set aside.
Pat the beef cubes dry with a paper towel. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a
medium-sized bowl. Add the beef cubes to the bowl and toss with your hands until
well coated.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 6/11
Pat dry the beef cubes and toss them in seasoned flour. (Audrey Le Goff)
Increase heat to medium-high. Working in batches, add the beef cubes to the
Dutch oven and brown them, about 3 minutes on each side. Be careful not to
overcrowd or overlap any meat cubes or they won’t brown properly. It should take
about 3 to 4 batches to brown 2 1/2 pounds of beef. Transfer the browned beef to a
separate bowl or plate.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 7/11
Work in batches to brown the beef on all sides. (Audrey Le Goff)
Add the chopped carrots, celery, and onion to the Dutch oven and cook for about 3
minutes, stirring occasionally, until glistening. Add the bouquet garni, browned
beef, garlic, tomato paste, anchovy paste, and ground cloves. Add the red wine and
stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits stuck to
the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and transfer to the oven to bake 2 1/2 hours.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 8/11
Sauté the chopped vegetables until glistening. (Audrey Le Goff)
Add the beef, seasonings, and wine to the vegetables, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any
browned bits. (Audrey Le Goff)
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 9/11
Check if the beef is tender. It should be fork-tender—if not, continue baking for up
to 30 more minutes.
https://www.theepochtimes.com/slow-cooked-comfort-from-southern-france_4071671.html 10/11
Follow
Bake in the oven until the beef is fork-tender. (Audrey Le Goff)
Discard the bouquet garni. Serve over egg noodles and garnish with chopped fresh
thyme, if desired.
Serve on a bed of egg noodles. (Audrey Le Goff)
Audrey Le Goff
Audrey Le Goff is a French food writer, photographer, and creator of the food blog
PardonYourFrench.com, where she shares recipes and stories from her beloved home
country, France. She is the author of the cookbook “Rustic French Cooking Made Easy”