Author Topic: Stopping "Autoplay" in MS Edge  (Read 1814 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stopping "Autoplay" in MS Edge
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
Public service announcement.

As I've been slowly setting up my new computer and migrating stuff from the old one, I've also been playing with various browsers to see if I want to make the switch from Firefox.

This week it is Edge, and one annoying thing is the stupid media autoplay, like when you go to news sites and they just start playing all their videos. This was a straightforward on/off switch in Firefox. In the new Edge, it is convoluted. Tons of info on how to more easily do it on the old, non-Chromium Edge, but I had to experiment with the new one.

The only option (without the fix) is to go to settings/cookies and permissions/ and switch media between "allow" and "limit". "Limit" is worthless and does nothing. If you want full manual control, you need to block, which is not an option. Unless you do this:

https://shaadlife.com/stop-auto-play-videos-on-edge-chromium/

There's a couple of other workarounds, but this seemed the fastest. Why MS put what to me would be a popular and wanted feature into "experiments" is beyond me.

Anyways, FYI if anyone is interested.

Not sure that I will keep Edge. Besides dumb stuff like this, it's privacy setting sure seem to let a bunch of ads get through, or if you go to their full lockdown mode, breaks stuff on a lot of sites. Also their picture in picture is worthless. I like the PiP in Firefox for watching a streaming TV program in the little box while I browse other stuff in the big box. Edge PiP doesn't work with a bunch of sites. Firefox works with everything.

Though I bought a new 27" monitor, and am now running my old monitor as an extended screen off my docking station, which lets me have a full TV screen and a full browsing screen at the same time, which is even nicer than PiP. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Stopping "Autoplay" in MS Edge
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:47 AM »
I switch to Chrome as my daily driver. Seems to do a decent enough job of keeping the Autoplay Fairy from visiting too often.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
How do you disable autoplay in Firefox? I hate that, but I didn't know there's a way to defeat it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:02:57 PM »
How do you disable autoplay in Firefox? I hate that, but I didn't know there's a way to defeat it.

MENU > OPTIONS > PRIVACY AND SECURITY > PERMISSIONS > SETTINGS > AUTOPLAY

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
Whoever came up with auto play should be shot.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »
Whoever came up with auto play should be shot.

Drawing and quartering would be more appropriate, IMHO.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design