Author Topic: Need help ripping a video  (Read 1361 times)

bratch

• friend
Need help ripping a video
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »
I'm wanting to show a buddy of mine who is living in Kentucky a clip of a DVD I have.  I've looked for a clip online but couldn't find one.  

Is there any way using XP or free software I can rip the DVD onto my computer where I could send him the clip?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 08:47:24 PM »
Probably.

Check C|Net (http://www.cnet.com).  They have thousands of free programs to download, and I'd be willing to bet there's a DVD ripper or two among them.

Keep in mind a couple of things: mpeg2, the CODEC used for encoding DVD's uses lossy compression.  In other words, data is left out to save space.  If you rip the DVD you'll have to recompress it, either in Windows Media format or Apple Quicktime.  This goes doubly so if you want to send it over the web.  The resulting video clip may not look all that great if you end up having to sacrifice resolution for a smaller file size.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »
yeah check out www.dvdrhelp.com or www.vcdhelp.com  same site
It's a great source for knowledge, links to software, and codecs.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76