Author Topic: A bit jarring  (Read 1164 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
A bit jarring
« on: January 13, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
So, I don't watch news, or actually any television.  I'm not totally anti-media - I'll watch youtube videos and the odd movie, but haven't watched cable or whatnot since I was a kid.  So I'm not real used to being around it.

Anyway, I was working on a furnace at a friends house this evening, and his teenage kid was watching something about the capitol hill protest.  I was in the other room, but I can hear this guy on the video who is yelling - literally yelling - about this insurrection attempt and how "if those were black people they would have been shot".  Etc.  Etc.

I'm thinking what kind of stupid, ignorant podcast or whatever is he watching?  It's got to be some SJW nutjob youtube thing or something.

I glanced in the other room.  It was MSNBC.  :facepalm:

Andiron

• friend
Re: A bit jarring
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »
Idiocracy was prophetic.  for the umpteenth time.  [popcorn]
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:07:52 PM »
Idiocracy was prophetic.  for the umpteenth time.  [popcorn]

It most certainly was not. You really think it will take 500 years to get there?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:36:34 PM »
So, I don't watch news, or actually any television.  I'm not totally anti-media - I'll watch youtube videos and the odd movie, but haven't watched cable or whatnot since I was a kid.  So I'm not real used to being around it.

Anyway, I was working on a furnace at a friends house this evening, and his teenage kid was watching something about the capitol hill protest.  I was in the other room, but I can hear this guy on the video who is yelling - literally yelling - about this insurrection attempt and how "if those were black people they would have been shot".  Etc.  Etc.

I'm thinking what kind of stupid, ignorant podcast or whatever is he watching?  It's got to be some SJW nutjob youtube thing or something.

I glanced in the other room.  It was MSNBC.  :facepalm:

Your BIGGEST  mistake was watching tv.  You were doing great until your curiosity got the better of you. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:20:19 AM »
John Prine was right.

I think I am the only person in the world that has watched less TV in the pandemic. Moved the TV for a remodel project last winter, still hasn't been put back. We watch DVDs on free secondhand TVs. No streaming or dish, not for years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:03:28 AM »
Haven't watched cable or broadcast TV where I live since 2005.  I don't miss it in the slightest and actually find it annoying as hell with all the interruptions now.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
When I was a kid and we had 3 network channels plus PBS, there were a lot of decent shows on - McHale's Navy, Hogan's Heroes, COMBAT!, 12 O'Clock High, Mr. Roberts, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Johnny Yuma, Dick Van Dyke, Smothers Brothers, Carol Burnett,  etc, plus assorted kid fare.

Today with many, many more channels - piles and piles of steaming television crapola.

Movies aren't much better. The local rag just published "2020's Best Movies" with film critics giving their lists of the best 20 or 25 movies of last year; with one or two exceptions I hadn't even HEARD of them, and the few movies I had an interest in seeing (e.g., Greyhound, Wonder Woman 1984) didn't make any of their lists.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
When I was a kid and we had 3 network channels plus PBS, there were a lot of decent shows on - McHale's Navy, Hogan's Heroes, COMBAT!, 12 O'Clock High, Mr. Roberts, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Johnny Yuma, Dick Van Dyke, Smothers Brothers, Carol Burnett,  etc, plus assorted kid fare.

Today with many, many more channels - piles and piles of steaming television crapola.

Movies aren't much better. The local rag just published "2020's Best Movies" with film critics giving their lists of the best 20 or 25 movies of last year; with one or two exceptions I hadn't even HEARD of them, and the few movies I had an interest in seeing (e.g., Greyhound, Wonder Woman 1984) didn't make any of their lists.

I remember those days as well and nostalgically agree with you that those were all great shows. On the other hand, with hindsight, I have to look back and remember there were also only three national TV news sources as well, and I wonder how much bias we were fed with no one around to counterpoint them. Dan Rather was in his heyday as a top newsman back then.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
I remember those days as well and nostalgically agree with you that those were all great shows. On the other hand, with hindsight, I have to look back and remember there were also only three national TV news sources as well, and I wonder how much bias we were fed with no one around to counterpoint them. Dan Rather was in his heyday as a top newsman back then.
Good point. And speaking of bias, don't forget we also had Walter Cronkite, who - once he retired - dropped all pretense of being a fair and impartial journalist and revealed himself to a full fledged, dyed-in-the-wool Red instead of a mere pinko.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Haven't watched cable or broadcast TV where I live since 2005.  I don't miss it in the slightest and actually find it annoying as hell with all the interruptions now.

Ditto.   After Babylon 5 ended its run, there wasn't anything I watched regularly.  Even Simpsons -- there were a couple episodes with bits that were super crass*, that put me off watching it.

When TeeVee went all digital, we didn't bother to get the converter box.

*(I remember Homer on a toilet, and Marge with a bellowed out taking God's name in vain.  Done with it.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
Ditto.   After Babylon 5 ended its run, there wasn't anything I watched regularly.  Even Simpsons -- there were a couple episodes with bits that were super crass*, that put me off watching it.

When TeeVee went all digital, we didn't bother to get the converter box.

*(I remember Homer on a toilet, and Marge with a bellowed out taking God's name in vain.  Done with it.)

I've been irritated for the last couple of months that between all my services, there are literally thousands of choices of new content for me to watch and (for me) 99.5% of the content sucks. There are maybe a half dozen new things (e.g., The Expanse, Cobra Kai) that I look forward to, and at ten episodes each, they are done pretty quick.

I have for a few months now being rewatching older stuff I have on DVD or bought digitally instead. Rewatched all of The Office before it left Netflix, rewatched Justified, Corner Gas, and a few others of my favorite series, and even though I knew what was coming in every episode, still liked them a lot more than some of the Netflix and Amazon "original" SJW crap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:26 AM »
I've been irritated for the last couple of months that between all my services, there are literally thousands of choices of new content for me to watch and (for me) 99.5% of the content sucks. There are maybe a half dozen new things (e.g., The Expanse, Cobra Kai) that I look forward to, and at ten episodes each, they are done pretty quick.

I have for a few months now being rewatching older stuff I have on DVD or bought digitally instead. Rewatched all of The Office before it left Netflix, rewatched Justified, Corner Gas, and a few others of my favorite series, and even though I knew what was coming in every episode, still liked them a lot more than some of the Netflix and Amazon "original" SJW crap.

I've stopped watching fiction on streaming and pretty much only stream Documentaries.

I think Rifftrax is the one exception.

Any movies/tv shows that I watch I own.

Related, I just got the full Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes set for Christmas.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »

I have heard Wonder Woman 1984 criticized quite a bit as a pretty bad movie.  I think Hollywood is hiring and promoting based on connections and politics rather than talent/results.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
I think a lot of the newspapers were more independent at that time even if they were liberal.  That said, we were still being fed a lot of BS at the time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 12:05:12 PM »
I have been signing up for internet TV of one kind or another the last few years to watch college football.  I used Sling this last year.  Beyond that, I currently have Disney+ and Amazon.  Disney+ will get turned off soon.  I might watch the last Mandalorian episode one more time before that.  Not sure yet on Amazon.  I want to finish the current season of The Expanse and we will see after that.  I have been trying not to default to Amazon when ordering online.