Author Topic: Stump chili in the Dutch oven.  (Read 871 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Stump chili in the Dutch oven.
« on: January 25, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
I was planning to make a big batch of chili yesterday. I had started to burn a stump out of the ground the day before and had added some oak scraps to it yesterday morning to better complete that process. Decided to combine tasks as I was putzing around in the workshop also.
I've posted my chili process before but I simplified it yesterday.
Crisped 6 slices of bacon in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Removed bacon (saved for garnish) and in the grease browned 1 pound of venison and 1 pound of beef with 2 medium onions and several cloves of garlic. Removed with a slotted spoon to drain the bacon grease before transferring to Dutch oven. Added 1 diced large green bell pepper and a couple of dried ancho diced and 3 cans of diced tomatoes, and chili seasoning.
I parked the Dutch oven with its tight fitting lid in the stump coals and ignored it except for stirring every 30 minutes or so. Added 2 cans of 3 bean mix for the last 30 minutes before bringing it in for supper.
Garnished with grated cheese, onion and bacon crumbles.
Minimal mess to clean up in the kitchen except for the cornbread fixins and Dutch oven.
I don't have another stump that needs burning but it was a fun experiment in middle of northern Illinois winter.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Stump chili in the Dutch oven.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
Not a big fan of pepper (of any kind) but that sounds good.  I also like how you made use of the stump and saved yourself some energy.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”