Author Topic: Bees!  (Read 2570 times)

crt360

• friend
Bees!
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:34:46 PM »
I had an encounter with some pissed off bees this weekend.  I was mowing a wooded lot next to my parents' house when I noticed some little things swarming around.  I quickly moved about 30 feet from the area, thinking that if they were regular old honey bees they'd forget about me and go about their business.  Man, was I wrong.  When I felt a few stings, I let go of the mower to grab my cap to swat a few - that's when I heard the ZZZZZZZZZ and ran the fastest 50+ yards I've run since college.  They chased me off the lot, around the yard, and into the garage, where I had finally put just enough distance on them to get through the unlocked door into the house.  That was the biggest rush I've had in a good while.  Had I hesitated, run slower or not encountered an unlocked door, I'm sure things would not have turned out so well.  Fortunately, as in the past, I didn't have any kind of serious reaction to the stings, but damn, it sure made me re-analyze the pursuit of certain outdoor activities.
For entertainment purposes only.

Antibubba

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:28:19 AM »
Don't mess with Texas(n bees)!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:08:22 AM »
It's funny that you bring up bees, as I'm having some troubles of my own with them...

That would have been a nightmare for me.  I'm allergic to yellow jacket stings.  I got stung in the hand once when I was a kid and it swelled up like a balloon, to the point where I couldn't bend any of my fingers and they were all touching each other (took a Cortizone shot from the doctor to bring the swelling down).  I'm not sure if I'm allergic to bees or other wasps, etc, but I always err on the side of caution (and carry Benadryl with me whenever I'm outside away from home).

Maybe they were those Africanized honey bees?  They're supposed to be more evil...

We have two of the most enormous bees I've ever seen that like to just hang out around the back porch (where I like to sit and read and smoke and have my coffee).  They're bigger than bumble bees, but they're brown, not yellow/black.  I've seen them attack birds and they just hover in the air staring at me.  It's war I tell ya.  I got some spray insect killer, says it kills bees if you spray it directly on them.  I swear I've used half that bottle chasing them around the back yard and I've covered both of them at different times with the stuff, but they keep on coming.

The other day I was standing behind the all-glass door that leads to the porch, and the super bees dive-bombed the glass door.  And then a yellow jacket dive-bombed it.  Freaky stuff!!!

I'm at my wit's end, anybody know how to repel these buggers?  I've tried Bee-Safe (little packets you hang up and they smell like almonds), but the super bees keep checking them out, obviously annoyed with them, but not repelled...

Help me.  Please.

Azrael256

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:23:41 AM »
Keep using your regular bee spray, but add your lighter to the equation.  You might also try a pool skimmer.

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 09:29:48 AM »
Pool skimmer, good idea!  I will attempt to capture my little nemesis instead of spraying it to death.  Not sure if the homemade flamethrower would go over well with SWMBO.

I found out what it is: an evil Carpenter Bee.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bees

Apparently the males are very aggressive, but they lack stingers, which explains its dive-bombing behavior and the fact that I've been at war with it for a week or so now and it hasn't stung me yet (though it does sneak up on me, staring and hovering, very freakin freaky).

The house I'm renting now desperately needs to be painted, there's bare and weathered wood all over the place.  Seems reasonable that it would attract carpenter bees.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Bees!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »
But the question that remains unanswered is what round would be most effective on killer zombie bees?

I think the .218 Bee or .22 Hornet would be more than effective. Tongue

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:08:13 AM »
I think my neighbor thinks I'm crazy since she saw me sitting on the porch smoking a cigarette with a big blue fly swatter in one hand a big spray bottle in the other, nervously looking back and forth.  She did a double-take, heh heh.  But darn, those carpenter bees are just plain evil.  I feel better now that I know they don't have stingers.  Maybe I'll break out the snow shovel and take some swipes at the evil little critters with it.  I can just imagine what my neighbor will think of me if she spots me doing that...

I'm so glad we don't have those Africanized killer bees in NY.  Poor crt360.  Oh, and I'm sorry for highjacking your thread Wink

crt360

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 12:44:05 PM »
Hey, RC, no problem.  It's all about the bees (and other stinging things).  We have so many red wasps, yellow jackets, bumble bees, and super giant hornet creatures (cigar-sized) that I often forget about the simple honey bee (Africanized or not).  When I was in high school, I once came home to find my dog being attacked by a swarm of bees.  I sprayed them with a water hose, got stung a number of times, escaped with the dog and took him to the vet.  He had been stung hundreds of times.  He survived and enjoyed several more years of good hunting.  There was no hive that he could have disturbed; the bees just came from somewhere and they were mad.
For entertainment purposes only.

Azrael256

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:14:25 PM »
I do recall dealing with an infestation of rather nasty hornets in a woodpile once.  We took an aluminum spray can, mixed up a little gasoline and water, pumped it up, and hosed 'em down.  Dad was the only one who got on the wrong end of one of the blighters.  It got him right in his nose.  Just where the flesh starts getting soft as it goes into the nasal passage.  There's a nerve cortex right near there.  I think I was twelve-ish, so my profanity was only partially developed.  That wasp improved my vocabulary considerably.

I am told that gasoline doesn't work so well on bees.  I know that most of the sprays are not cross-compatible, and I haven't a clue why it kills hornets so well, but if it doesn't work on bees, you can just follow my other advice.  I'm sure it would make a wicked flamethrower.

If you do happen upon a nest of something, and it is exposed, roast 'em.  Grandad made one of those little propane flamethrowers like you use to wilt weeds or de-ice a driveway (he made it a good 50 years ago when he lived in Amarillo...  Grandad is just like that).  Crank it up and fry the little bastards.  Since the heat is easily controllable, I have used it to great effect even on the vinyl siding under an overhang.  No melting, no blistering, and the house is still standing.  It takes some care, but it works nicely.  It doesn't take long, either, just a couple seconds.  I think it also roasts their chemical marker, because the nest was never rebuilt.

I could certainly do without these africanized bees.  I remember the state agriculture types showing up at the farm wanting to put bee traps in the pasture.  They were these little yellow cardboard things that looked like roach motels.  We were really more interested in some sort of buzz-activated neurotoxin dispenser, or perhaps a small nuclear device, but since no such solution was forthcoming, we let them hang the little traps all over the place.  They came out to check them pretty regularly, and did a good job cleaning them up when their experiment was over.  I did find one of the traps a few years ago with a thoroughly dessicated bee still inside it.  I didn't really feel all that sorry for him (her?), considering the fact that one of his kin had gotten a piece of my right calf about a week before.

The pool skimmer idea actually came from a hummingbird, but it sounds like your bees are of similar size.  The poor little fellow got trapped in the garage.  I read that they can't survive very long without eating, the bird book said that eating is their whole life, so I mixed up a shotglass of sugared water for him.  He wouldn't come to me (I don't know why I thought he would), so I caught him with the pool skimmer.  I set him down on the glass, after he tried repeatedly to stab me with that little rapier on his face, and he drank nearly the whole thing.  Poor little fellow must have been near death by then.  I tossed him back outside, and he flew off to rejoin his clan without so much as thanking me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bees!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 05:56:10 AM »
NEVER crush a bee.

Some bees, such as yellow jackets, have a hormone in their body that, when released when the bee is killed or crushed, causes the others to swarm the target.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Penman

Bees!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:45:35 PM »
As Mike Irwin noted, the pheromones released when a bee stings you will attract others to attack you as well.  Got stung by a honey bee once whilte mowing the lawn. It didn't hurt much, and I kept on mowing. Another bee came along, flying downwind of me. As soon as it was directly downwind from me, it made a 90 degree turn and came at me. I figured it was a hint to go inside.

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 05:53:28 AM »
I have an update on my ongoing war with the Carpenter Bees...

Day 1:

After discovering that the aggressive male Carpenter Bee doesn't have a stinger, I was emboldened.  So this past weekend, I armed myself with my big blue fly swatter and went after the two little buggers.  It was a beautiful day and my wife decided to join me with a camera (we just got married and we had some pictures to use up on the disposable cameras we left on the reception tables).  I was surprised she even managed to click any off with how hard she was laughing as I chased them around the yard, but she did.

The fly swatter I was using has an aluminum wire handle, and I was swinging it so hard that the handle kept bending in my hand.  Piece of junk.  BUT I GOT ONE OF THEM!  I batted it about 20 feet into the grass.  I searched and I searched and couldn't find it.  Eventually it started moving again, exposing itself to my relentless gaze, so I swatted it into a fine crunchy goop.  Haha!  His friend took off and I didn't see him the rest of the day.

Day 2:

Since the woman living in the basement apartment moved out recently, I decided to check under the porch to see if the Carpenter Bees were setting up shop.  Under the porch I discovered A WASP STARTING A NEW NEST!!!  That freaked me out, given my allergy to their stings.  I soaked the fledgling nest and queen with the useless Home Insect Control spray and then swatted both into oblivion.  I then noticed a Carpenter Bee sitting silently on the underside of one of the porch floorboards.  I sneaked up on it, but my gigantic swat failed to fell it, and it took off fast...

The surviving Carpenter Bee is now stalking me, and I won't go outside without my fly swatter.  My wife has already witnessed me battling it a couple times through the window (she laughs so hard, she almost falls out of her chair).  It's snuck up on me a couple times already, and once it tried to dive-bomb me.  I'm going to get it.  I know I will.  

I'm starting to feel a bit like the Bill Murray character in Caddyshack.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Bees!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 08:06:32 AM »
I'll be glad when I go back too places to cold for bees.

THey regularly feel the need to make a nest in my woods truck, the old junker that doesn't get used much.  Gotta clean it out every summer.

That, and for some reason the hornets feel the need to build a nest directly above the front door.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grampster

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:58:38 AM »
There are some kinds of smallish bee's, not fat, but sleek and small.  They live in holes in the ground or between RR ties that one uses for retaining walls.  A bunch of them stung my legs while mowing a couple years ago.  I felt something, ignored it, then felt more, paid attention, looked down, screeched like a girl and ran and jumped in the lake.
Dang!!  My legs hurt like the beejeezis for a couple days and itched even worse for a couple weeks.  I even went to the Doc for meds.  
I soaked them buggers in some evil spray that foamed.  Satisfactory beeacide occured.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Bees!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »
Always have good memories of bees.  My uncle rasied them on his hobby farm in Avon.  The nieghbor down the road had a small orchard (back before the stepped up urbanization of Indianapolis) with bees.  Even got my beekeeping merit badge in Scouts working with them!

I usually all for killing Nature whenever I can, but find myself pro-bee.  At least they produce something (unlike the people I see a work).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bees!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 11:16:25 AM »
I generally like the idea of bees, but not the reality, heh heh.  I have no problem with Honey Bees, and I've never met a Bumble Bee I didn't like.  Pleasant little guys they are.

Yellow Jackets, Wasps, and Carpenter Bees are an entirely different matter.  They are EVIL.