Author Topic: ignition coil question  (Read 1041 times)

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
ignition coil question
« on: May 17, 2005, 03:32:53 AM »
I have a '77 Suzuki RM125 that needs a new coil. New ones are about $60 and used ones are hard to find. Can I use a coil from a newer bike? I would probably have to change connectors on the primary side but that's not a problem. I'm just concerned that a newer coil might not be compatible with the old CDI box somehow. The one thing I've noticed is that since about '84 there's only one wire on the primary side, mine has two. Is one just ground?

griz

• friend
ignition coil question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 07:22:11 AM »
It depends. Coils are basically all just step up transformers, but they can be tailored to the type of ignition system. Best case is to get another coil to try. You could even try a cheap automotive coil from a junk car. If it works make sure you use some padding to install it, MX bikes shake a lot.

The second wire should be a ground. I forgot Suzuki's color code but you can figure out which wire is which with an ohm meter.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dinosaur

ignition coil question
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:52:44 AM »
Chevy ignition parts fit old Harleys so there's probably something out there for you. We have a couple of Jap bike junkyards around here so if there's one near you you can probably find a coil that fits. I'm not a fan of used electrical parts though. I'd just find out what fits and buy new.

Chevy also has books out about what G.M. parts fit what. A net search might find something similar.