Author Topic: British malls crack down on hoodies, great Big Bro, gun control quote  (Read 1757 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7897532/?GT1=6542

For all those living in fear of Big Brother, great way around the videotaping:

The United Kingdom is the most-monitored nation in the world, with more than 4 million closed-circuit television cameras operating around the country. But culprits frequently evade Big Brothers watchful eye by concealing their identities with the ubiquitous head wear.

"I think the fact you go around with these hats and these covers... I mean, it is a uniform, in a sense," Prescott said last week.

As a result, a large shopping center in southeast England offered a new tact by implementing a "code of conduct" that includes a ban on the wearing of "hoodies."
And while gun crimes may have dropped following strict gun control (I hesitate to say gun ban, because a Brit will remind me that guns are still legal under certain circumstances), a good quote out of the same article:

Although gun crime here pales when compared with the United States, binge-drinking, street brawls, vandalism, muggings, and general menace are seen to be terrorizing the public.
See?  Banning guns doesn't lead to a utiopia.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
British malls crack down on hoodies, great Big Bro, gun control quote
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »
See?  Banning guns doesn't lead to a utiopia.
It doesnt lead to an absence of gun crimes either.  Notice the clever wording: they compare gun crime in the UK to what it is in the US, not what is was in the UK before the bans.  In fact, AFAIK, gun crimes are up significantly since the bans.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

nico

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 06:23:40 PM »
Violent crime in general has also been on a steady increase since the "restrictions" ::cough:: ban

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
Not once, but twice in the last century, we sacrificed countless American lives to save the English from barbarism. Now they're concocting their own.

Next time, I say we save the irreplaceable American lives.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

P95Carry

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »
Way outa date this and of course many would say little to do with all the banning but - it is still ''interesting''!!!  Remember - handguns we no-no's post '97.

Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

bratch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 07:37:30 PM »
One of my banks has a sign asking you to remove hoods, sunglasses, and hats.  I have entered a couple times with a hat on and nobody said anything though.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 08:39:16 PM »
Wait, when handguns became illegal, over the next five years they DOUBLE in use?  Never really realized that.  Just more ammo against my European nay-sayers.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'