Author Topic: Well, I don't have to worry anymore....  (Read 4378 times)

grampster

• friend
Well, I don't have to worry anymore....
« on: May 23, 2005, 05:46:46 PM »
The doctor called last week.  I have prostate cancer.  Hmmmm.  The upside is at 61 I don't have to wonder if and when it will happen.  It has.  One less worry.

Every year the doc orders one to pee in the bottle and serve up some blood.  Tests you know....couple days later the nurse's call comes...all is ok.   This time the nurse doesn't call.  It's from Art.  Funny, I thought his first name was Doctor.

I always wondered about how I would feel when the fantasy call became reality.

Pretty calm, I guess.  Everybody that doesn't have a nasty disease always offers up that, well,  "they have lotsa ways to fix than, pretty routine you know."  I said it myself.  But it also seems pragmatism comes easy when you're 61 and your kids are approaching middle age and your grandkids are teenagers.  One is struck by the thought that maybe one got more than he deserved in that regard.  

I've been watching my friends, associates and aquaintenances over the years get one disease or another.  Some have passed on...too many have passed on.  One measures his odds watching this happen, is comforted by "the other guy's" misfortune; works the odds in one's favor.  Surprise!

Friday's Cat scan of the pelvic area only shows a hairball that will be coughed up tonight with a little luck and some with the assistance of some brandy and wine swirled together in a proper glass.  (For those of you in Loma Linda...Cat scan?...hairball?..get it?)  Had an MRI of my brain once.  I have been fond of saying they "found nothing".  Same thing with the Cat scan.  That means the cancer has stayed local in the prostate gland.  That is actually a good thing.
Imagine, the treatment for that only brings impotence and incontinence is preferable to the alternative.  Perhaps a fair exchange for bladder, spine and pelvis tumors.  In retrospect, not a bad exchange, afterall.

Well, I go to the doc this Thursday to discuss options.  Trying not to query the internet too much because of sensory overload.  Senses are overloaded quite enough already.  

Another upside:  SWMBO has been more tolerent of my aberant (sp?) behaviour the last couple weeks.  She REALLY does love me.  (Those of you with truly low self esteem know what I'm talking about.)

I've also discovered just about everybody male either has prostate cancer, had prostate cancer, or knows somebody that does or has.  What in the world is this all about?  

Well, sorry to blather about this.  Well, no I'm not.  It actualy feels pretty good to do this.  Do they call this self actualization?  Actually maybe it's too much wine.  Gonna get me another one now.  As Arnie is fond of saying, "I'll be back".Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 06:07:09 PM »
Grampster,

Sorry to hear your number came up on this. The bright side (if there is such a thing in these matters) is that you made the regular visits to the Doctor and they caught it early. This was the same situation with my dad, who got it at 62 (14 years ago).

He opted for the surgery. He cussed like a sailor for the first half year over the incontinence, but time and resolve made it a non-issue for him. After a couple of years, the worst he had to deal with was a few drops coming out now and again, so take heart that  the "Depends" stage is not necessarily permanent. Smiley

Anyway, he goes in for yearly checkups on it, and no signs of recurrence and he has a low PSA. I like to kid around with him that the worst part of his ordeal was the fact that I had to start going in for yearly finger probes long before the "normal" time  because of the heredity factor. Cheesy

Best wishes and Godspeed to a speedy recovery!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 06:19:25 PM »
grampster, I wish you all the best on a fast recovery, and as few long term effects as possible. You know the saying, dark clouds, silver lining, blah blah blah? Well if you really want to see it...
Another upside:  SWMBO has been more tolerent of my aberant (sp?) behaviour the last couple weeks.  She REALLY does love me.
If your wife tends to frown on gun expenses, use the sympathy to pack your house to the brim with firearms, unharassed. Smiley

Best wishes and hopes for you, grampster.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »
I'm praying Grampster. I guess in a way you and I are going through this whole "dazed and confused" thing together. God is on his throne.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »
I'm sending best wishes and high hopes your way.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 06:46:08 PM »
Thank's guys.  I'm feeling pretty good about all this, actually.  It really is a life experience.
Curiosity sometimes overpowers reality.  Regarding guns...I don't have anymore room in my safe.  Crap!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 07:45:48 PM »
Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:21:25 PM »
Wishing you the best...prayers are on the way.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 06:57:49 AM »
On the bright side, you won't have to go through that prostate exam anymore.

My thoughts are with you.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 07:31:14 AM »
Best wishes. Keep us posted, eh?
Hi.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 08:31:08 AM »
Quote from: grampster
 Regarding guns...I don't have anymore room in my safe.  Crap!!
Time for a second safe

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 09:48:56 AM »
Damnit, I  only just saw this.

Best wishes grampster, you damn well better beat this, if only so I get to chortle at your wry comments about grown men and incontinence pads. I turn thirty in a couple of months so I get to start checking mine soon.  As another man said, time for another safe.

Hope your wife and family are coping too and may you have many more years of traipsing round Florida dressed in a similar manner to the cast of Cocoon. Which I'm afraid is how I picture you Smiley.

Bill

Just gonna pop downstairs, pop open a good bottle and raise a glass to your health. Then I'm going to cuddle my wife, which will confuse her and earn me earache for opening a bottle of the good stuff.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 10:27:42 AM »
Bill,

Are you saying that there is something wrong with plaid shorts, contrasting plaid shirts, tall black socks, wing tips and a knitted budweiser beer can hat?  Huh? Do ya? Huh?cool

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 11:59:53 AM »
On you I'm sure it would be... lovely.  

On a nosy note, you'll have to let us know if you go batty for a few hours after the removal of the prostrate (if it is removed). A nurse friend of mine told me that and I've always wanted to know if it was a wind up.

Your's, in the spirit of never allowing anothers pain and discomfort to get in the way of his terminal nosiness (I'll be asking you to stream a video of the op next),

Bill
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Penman

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 12:49:11 PM »
Grampster, we're all pulling for you. Please keep us posted, and don't hesitate to question the Docs and get other opinions.

XLMiguel

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 12:58:15 PM »
Grampster - First, prayers and best wishes for a successful outcome and speedy recovery, may you be around to b*tch and cuss for a long, long time.  By all means, buy a second safe.

Do your homework on alternatives, there's been a lot of progress in this area.  A good friend of mine (mid-60's, found it early) did the rediological thing with excellent results. He was only out of sorts for a few weeks, back on the golf course in about 6 weeks, and he's still 'raising the flag'. Locally, the Geo Washington Medical Center (in DC) has been adverising a minimally invasive robotic procedure to deal with this that doesn't have the usual incontinence/impotence side effects.  Good luck

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 01:58:17 PM »
OK, Grampster, maybe a related joke will cheer you up.

Three times a week, three altercockers (elderly men) would meet in the park to talk.  Inevitably, the discussion would turn to their various ailments.

The first guy said, "Oy, every morning I get up to pish, I stand there, ten, fifteen minutes, before anything happens".

The second guy says, "I should have it so lucky-it takes me half an hour to tinkle at all!"

The third guy says, "I envy you both.  Every morning at seven I go, regular as clockwork".

The other two just stared at him and said, "What's wrong with that"?

The third guy sighed and said, "I don't wake up until eight".
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

P95Carry

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 07:29:39 PM »
Gramp's - dropped in just to see what was what and then this!  Took the wind out of my sails I can say.  I am not so much younger than you and in a sense - after giving thanks for each and every day - wonder when that sort of announcement may be made to me.  Being a smoker I guess it'll be my lungs like as not.

I carry on tho - enjoying what I can while I can but let me say - having in a sense ''known you'' quite some time - my most positive of thoughts are going your way as a friend.  One thing you can pretty much depend on - is the ability to come in here and blow smoke when you need to.  This is a peripheral family.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 12:43:36 AM »
Take good care of yourself, Grampster.

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 04:50:01 AM »
Wishing you well, Grampster.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 10:16:41 AM »
Thank's for the support guys and gals.  Antibub..I resemble that. Heh Heh.

I've been thinking that since so many men seem to be contracting this critter, that maybe I might post a blow by blow in the interest of disseminating a little first hand knowledge as this thing moves along.
Early diagnosis is important.  I've already discovered that most doctors don't even recommend PSA test and digital exam till one is 50.  But most men that I have been talking to that have had this situation are saying that the 30's are not too young and one should insist on having it done, especially if there is a history in the family.
Mike in VA..The laporascopic prostatectomy is also being done at U Of M in Ann Arbor.  You can google "laporascopic prostatectomy, u of m" navigate a bit and actually watch the procedure. They are supposed to be the 2nd best teaching hospital with regard to prostate problems.  That procedure intrigues me if surgery is the best option.
On the other hand, I have an HMO, so the only thing that might be available to me is having a wino do the surgery under the Newaygo bridge using a broken bottle of Mad Dog 20 20.  My best hope is that I can get to drink the Mad Dog before they break the bottle.  Film at 6.shocked

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 11:01:41 AM »
You'll be fine.

I say that not as one who has been there.  My grandfather had it, and he's fine, but that's the closest I've come.  I say that as someone who doesn't worry about anything, since I know it's not going to do any good.  I also say that as one who read all the literature on the subject when grandad had his "procedure."  You caught it early.  You'll be fine.

You mentioned something about this affecting pretty much all men, and that is right in line with what I've read.  Almost every man (close enough to every man as to make unaffected men statistically negligible) will develop at least a few cancerous cells in their prostate.  The only question is whether or not it will form into something noticeable in their lifetime.

For you guys more my age, go get the PSA done at your next physical, even if you're well under the recommended age.  Actually, if we could start with just getting a regular physical, we'd be doing well.  Most guys my age and older are unwilling to spend the two hours a year it takes to get checked out for a whole host of diseases.  Early diagnosis of little things can save you money, and big things can save your life.  I'm lucky enough to have insurance that makes the whole physical, including all the "boy exams" (as my mother, the nurse, calls it) run about $10.  The doctor said he would be astounded if he found anything even remotely abnormal at my age (23), but it cost nothing, and it never hurts to establish a baseline.  I read of cases in 35-ish men, so this age 50 thing is BS.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 01:58:25 PM »
The doctor said he would be astounded if he found anything even remotely abnormal at my age (23), but it cost nothing, and it never hurts to establish a baseline.  I read of cases in 35-ish men, so this age 50 thing is BS.
My best friend contracted prostate cancer at age 42. He was the youngest his doctor had ever diagnosed. He was doing the "every two years" prostate check as recommended in some circles from age 40-50 (yearly after 50).

In the two years between 40-42 the cancer had spread far enough that surgery was his best option. He can no longer do the Wild Thing. Bummer when you're still in your 40's. The few minutes of discomfort once a year for an exam and PSA test are well worth it, considering the potential alternative.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

larry_minn

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 10:17:37 AM »
Well you convinced me.  I am the guy who always said "no thanks Doc" when he got the glove/jelly.   Next exam I will get the full treatment.  Only had one exam and the tech must have tried to get his fist up there.  I have just declined it since then.  (they never even try to argue)  
  Sept. was my last exam (less this) so a full physical is my 06 resolution

Please keep your spirits up.  Remember if the flag won't fly it is likely temp.  I (lost) the ability for almost 3 months (even got scanned down there looking for trouble) after my injuries.  Now everything works fine.  (it did depress me esp when in 30s and never done it (without a rain coat) Smiley  Now trying for kids.  No joy yet but fun to practice....  I did do a check and count is slighly on low side of normal but not bad.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 05:54:28 PM »
Had my consult with the urologist/surgeon today.  Tumors are graded on the Gleason score, ranging from 2-10.  2-4 is low aggressiveness of the cancer.  4-6 is moderate and 7-10 is aggresive tumor.  It is not perfect, but does give expression of where you stand.  Mine was diagnosed as a 7. But it appears to be confined inside the gland. That is good.  Prostate cancer is also staged.  This gives an indication of the kinds of treatment that should be considered.  Kind of complicated to explain here, but mine is at the low end of that scale, so it is good news.

The doc explained the various treatments available and what success they generally had as well as comparing my particular situation to the grade and the stage.  Surgery, my case, for a number of reasons seems most efficacious.

There is a fairly recent advance using laproscopic surgery using the da Vinci system, a robotic contraption controled by the surgeon that removes the prostate and samples surrounding tissues and lymph nodes.  Urologist, who does not use the system, is quite impressed with it.  I'm going to see if I can go to U of M in Ann Arbor, or a hospital in Detroit that deals with this surgery.  I'll compare that to the typical surgery that has been done for years.

I called a friend of mine today, who is the same age as me, 61, whom I gave a box of pampers to when we turned 50.  I wondered if he still had some, as I might need a few.  As for potential ed, well, I've sown a few oats in my day, so maybe its time to put the field into the soil bank for a time.  Given the alternatives, not a great loss.

Maybe I'll chime in on this again somewhere down the line, if the info might be of some value.  Anybody interested otherwise, e mail me if you want any knowledge that I might pick up along the way.