Author Topic: Well, boys and girls...I finally have a diagnosis for my back/hip/leg  (Read 1113 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
As I have posted before, I have been having severe leg pain in and around my hip area after being on my feet for more than a few minutes at a time.  Doc thought it was avascular necrosis of the hip but the MRI was clean.  Went back with a lumbar spinal MRI today and doc says I have the back of a 60 year old.  Okay, but I am only 36.  I guess all those days of playing football, lifting weights, and slinging Jet Skis around have finally caught up to me.

He is sending me for pain management treatment and I have to get a series of epidural steroid injections.  My affliction is officially called spinal stenosis/degenerative disc disease.  It could be worse.  He said surgery was most likely not needed, ever, as long as I take care of my back going forward.

Anyone else ever had to get these cortisone spinal shots before?  He says it is relatively painless and a common procedure.  I have to go about 3 times over 45 days to have the injections.  Boy oh boy...HMOs and doctor's offices are my fav thing to deal with.

Greg

Azrael256

• friend
Well, boys and girls...I finally have a diagnosis for my back/hip/leg
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Dad used to have them.  They aren't pleasant, but they weren't too bad.  The big downside is that a lot of the steroid drugs make you really crabby.  My dad is already a pain, but the steroids made him unbearable.  Try to be chilled out when you're on those drugs.

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »
I've had one of those steroid shots into the spine.  They're not pleasant, by any means, but neither are they cripplingly bad in terms of pain.  Consider it like a trip to the dentist - something that has to be done.

Of course, one of the side effects is that in my case, they included an anaesthetic along with the steroid, so that I had to have someone else drive me home afterwards.  If they're going to do the same for you, make sure that you have transport lined up.  Believe me, everything below the waist (and I do mean everything - will be numb and tingling for several hours, and you don't want to have to drive (or whatever) until it wears off.  Taking a pee with everything numb is an experience I don't recommend...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 09:59:25 AM »
"He says it is relatively painless and a common procedure."

Yeah, riiiight. The key word there is 'relative'.

At least they've eliminated avascular necrosis as the problem. That's a fast track to a hip replacement.  I worked in a  pain management practice for awhile and trust me, you won't want to watch the procedure. It's the real reason your head doesn't rotate a full 180 degrees.  Ideally, they will premedicate you prior to the procedure to relax you a little.  

Honestly, after the procedure is completed and you've had a little while to relax and let it take hold, you'll feel really good.  You might also want to look into a condom catheter for the leaky bladder you might experience...or bring a towel with you for the ride home.  

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 04:54:06 PM »
Greg,

I hope you find a way to minimize your pain.
My wife has had several series of steroid epidurals on her 5 herniated and/or bulging discs.
She says they are a Godsend when you have a good anesthesiologist, and an annoyance when they're only so-so.

Find a good anesthesiologist, and stick to them like glue.