Author Topic: Um, if any THR mods read this, could you tell me why I was banned?  (Read 15606 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Re: Um, if any THR mods read this, could you tell me why I was banned?
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
Cop-bashing on THR
You may like to know that cops on staff as more critical of their feral colleagues than you are. They would prefer not to be blamed for something done by rogues elsewhere, same you you would rather not be blamed for actions of gangbangers.

Maser
We discussed your ban in detail a the time. Look up my old emails.

Ron

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »
I don't understand the glee folks get from posting the follies of the police that make the news for bad behavior.

With the huge numbers of LEO's in this country it is only to be expected that they will have their share of bad guys and idiots.

Pointing them out and casting aspersions on everybody in law enforcement is just ridiculous.

Usually it tells me the person posting has issues with following rules, authority or some such thing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »
I actually like reading the articles about police misconduct, police actions in the news, or just about arrests and raids.  The discussion can be very good and very useful.  I admit it can get out of control quick though. 

The problems I see are:
1.  Lack of reading comprehension.  Some posters miss facts of the case or seemingly make them up.  A few posters get a certain scenario in their heads and argue based on that fiction.  It throws wrenches into otherwise simple disucussions.

2.  Ranting.  Some posters just look for issues to get charged up about and rant.  Rants not always being related to the case in question.

3.  Baiting.  Some posters don't rant or such very much, but they love to throw out rant bait to get under the skin of others.  Usually they sound reasonable on the surface, but it can be pretty obvious that they are not interested in a serious discussion just seeing how much havoc they can cause.  I bet they are not normally the ones getting banned. 

4.  Arguing over unrelated points.  Related to #1.  I have seen multipage arguments where each side basically agreed, but was saying it differently enough they were arguing about nothing. 

5.  Poor written communication skills.  I really think a lot of people think what they said is not bad, but say it so poorly that it is taken as something completely different.  I have caught myself doing this before.  Had to reword half the post.  Also, there are a lot of people who should be forced to take persuasive writing classes.

6.  Being able to separate the argument from the poster.  One thing I try to make sure I do is avoid attacking the poster, but rather attacking the argument.  I'm sure I have not done it always, but I have edited posts on this and other sites quite often to take out stuff I regret saying as soon as I posted it.  I have also written long posts that I have just canceled/deleted feeling it was better to say nothing. 

I guess there could be more or less depending on how detailed you get.  I am sure I have been guilty of one or the other in the past.  Smiley

One other thing:  I don't want anyone who got banned to take it personally, but I have seen mods warn people before about what was obviously a bad post or series of posts; then the poster argues about it like they were as innocent as a babe.  It is the same reason I don't take one-sided news articles at face value.  Some people just refuse to admit they were wrong. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »

Maser
We discussed your ban in detail a the time. Look up my old emails.

Exactly, but you always said you would "look into it" but yet never gotten back to me about it.  And I have yet to get a REAL explanation as to why I was banned.  I mean I act the exact same way at TFL as I did at THR,  so what's up with that?  Aren't both sites owned by the same staff?
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2007, 05:52:44 PM »
To whom it may concern:

Not to belabor this puppy but...

It was my L&P posts that were deleted by the nomenklatura at THR.  That comprises about 90 per cent of the 7200 total posts I submitted over seven years.

My name/account has been expunged from the member list.

I'll say it again: it smacks of revisionist history and, worse, a purge.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
It was my L&P posts that were deleted by the nomenklatura at THR.  That comprises about 90 per cent of the 7200 total posts I submitted over seven years.

All the L&P posts are gone, not just yours. I searched my own name and all my L&P posts are missing.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
To whom it may concern:

Not to belabor this puppy but...

My name/account has been expunged from the member list.

I'll say it again: it smacks of revisionist history and, worse, a purge.

Nobody's posts made in L&P are available. It has nothing to do with revisionist history or some secret Stalinist purge. It has to do with them taking that sub-forum offline while they decide how to re-tool it.

Ron

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
JINX!!

Marnoot

• friend

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »
Okay, ALL the L&P posts are gone.  The "HazMat" problem is controlled then. Glad to hear it.  Wouldn't want anyone contaminated by the radioactivity.

"It has nothing to do with revisionist history or some secret Stalinist purge. It has to do with them taking that sub-forum offline while they decide how to re-tool it."

Sez you.  Nice to know that I and others are part of the "re-tooling."  No doubt the new and improved THR membership will know better how to avoid the billyclub.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2007, 06:32:39 PM »
Nice to know that I and others are part of the "re-tooling."  No doubt the new and improved THR membership will know better how to avoid the billyclub.

"Welcome to The High Road, an online discussion board dedicated to the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership."

I can't comment on your posts or why you were billy-clubbed as I've fervently avoided L&P for quite some time, and haven't read any of your posts. But can you honestly say that the squawking, bickering, and childishness that L&P became was fulfilling the stated purpose of THR as quoted above?

Perhaps you were banned unfairly; my only point is that L&P sorely needed some re-tooling.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
OK, I think this one has had a pretty healthy life.

Lots of information, postulation, supposition, and quite a few other "ions."

I'd suggest that if anyone has particular questions about their own personal situation/status, PM Oleg.

Thank you for keeping it above board and civil.

Oh, in case anyone is curious.

As Oleg said, anyone who has been banned from THR is welcome to post here even though Oleg owns both sites. It's not a case of "if you're kicked from one, all are forbidden to you." I'm proof positive of that, as I was banned from THR in... well, a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly when.

But now I'm a moderator here.

Although I think that was more semi-punishment for my having the temerity to make some suggestions to Oleg. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.