Author Topic: Any Straight Razor Users?  (Read 2592 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Any Straight Razor Users?
« on: May 29, 2005, 07:31:08 PM »
I like to shave with a mug and brush, and was just browsing the web for a new mug when I ran across a site that sells a variety of straight razors. Apropos of nothing, I was just curious if any of the guys here use one, and if so, why do you like it over the old Mach 3?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »
I used to use the Mach 3. I find the Quattro from Shick to be a far superior shaving implement. It shaves closer, smoother, and the blades last twice as long, IME. However, I have been considering a straight razor for some time, as the blades for the Quattro are expensive(about the same as the Mach3), the few times I've used one, the shave has been superb and honestly, its got a high "cool" factor.  

I'm waiting until I have a couple hundred to spare on all the equipment.
If you do a Clusty search, you'll get quite a few good sites.
Hi.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 11:22:43 PM »
I own a straight razor.  Owned one ever since I first read "SnowCrash".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:51:09 AM »
So why do you guys like using them? How much longer (if at all) does it take to shave with one versus a safety razor? How much tissue paper did you stick on your face while you were learning to use one?  Cheesy

I can cut myself pretty good with a safety razor when I set my mind to it, so am curious on the coordination factor in getting accustomed to a straight razor. And obviously it can be done since that's all that was around prior to WW2. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »
I learned to shave with a Trac II which predates about half the folks here. Shortly thereafter I obtained a straight razor and learned how to use it. The whole experiment didn't last long.  It's nice to know how to use one, but it can be absolutely brutal on your skin if you're not skilled and desire a 'baby's bottom' shave.  I did, however, continue using mug and brush shaving soap for many years thereafter.  Now I'm back to modern utensils, with a Mach 3.

Lessons learned-  

I can sharpen an edge to dermatome sharpness after learning how to work a leather strap.  With the right technique, you could sharpen an anvil to shave, for that matter.

I bled a lot more than I thought I did from a seemingly innocuous nick.

Innocuous nicks are a lot more severe than they appear, especially when created with a straight razor or an anvil.

Styptic pencils hurt.

Hot water and soap are your friends.

King C. Gillette was a minor deity.
(Inventor of the Gillette Safety Razor, ca. 1895-1901 and issued to U.S. soldiers during WWI)

The quick and dirty-
Why reinvent the wheel?

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the lowdown Rabbit -- and my error, as you point out, the Gillette was around since WW1, not WW2. Smiley

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »
I used a straight razor for exactly one week.  Grandad insisted that every young gentleman should know how to use one.

In that week I saw more blood than any three blood banks.  The icing on the cake, though, was when I attempted to shave at 0-dark-hundred before I was fully awake.

Don't do this.  Trust me on this one.

Schick.  Slim Twin.

I do use a badger hair brush and shaving soap, though.

LawDog

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 01:11:40 PM »
I learned to shave without looking in the mirror.
Of course I learned to tie a tie without the use of mirror either.

For some reason my mentors, some of whom served / were serving in the Military - NOT being dependent on some stuff like mirrors - being important.

I learned to shave with a Gillette Safety Razor. Yes those "thin" blue steel double edge razors. Mug, shaving soap and brush.

I did learn to use a straight  razor , and if one learns to keep on sharp - as stated above- you get good using a strop.  I actually became quite good with one, just figured the knowing how, and "having done so" was enough.
Mine had the Turtle Shell handle...afraid I'd break it...Then a GF gave me a new razor and well...got to use the gift or get "pouted at".

Observations:

-Gillette "Safety" Razor - oxymoron.
-Ever try to pick up a thin carbon blue double edge razor blade?  Ever sliced your finger on the inside of a 1100 - that is where Rem. got the idea.
-Shaving w/o a mirror , has its perks - you don't really know just how many nicks you have.
- Do NOT allow a GF to dab a bit of the White Shoulders you gave her to stop the bleeding - It burns worse than 105 octane  Amoco Gold gasoline - trust me on this..

NEVER ever allow a GF to use a Straight razor or Gillete Safety to shave her legs.  Oh I accepted it would get dull...

Around the ankle, I don't care what a lady uses, gonna be a cut, and bleed like crazy.  I showed her how and did not cut her [ one of them dating dealies...yeah I shaved her legs and gave her a shampoo...] She tried using them on her later  and ...whoa!!

I use the cheapest disposable razor at the dollar store, shave while in the shower with no mirror most times, been known to dry shave standing outside while smoking...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »
Lawdog and SM -

My entire curiosity over the straight razor revolved around a similar reason for which you guys used one. Pretty much just to say I'd done it and knew how (more or less). But at a 100 bucks a pop for a decent straight razor just to give it a try, I'm probably better off just using the money to buy more ammo (and fewer band-aids).  Smiley

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 03:43:19 PM »
Quote from: sm
I use the cheapest disposable razor at the dollar store, shave while in the shower with no mirror most times, been known to dry shave standing outside while smoking...
Glad to know I'm not the only person that does this.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 03:54:19 PM »
IMO, it all equates to time.  I can get a really fantastic shave with a straight razor.  If I need a shave like that, which is pretty rare, I'm willing to go to the barber for it.  If it's Sunday, I'll do it myself with the straight razor, but it's going to take me a good 30 minutes because I am extremely slow and careful.  This pretty much eliminates cuts.  I have had only two straight razor cuts, and both were due to rushing through it.

I use the Gillette disposable most of the time.  Shaving comfort, for me, comes more from a good soap than the razor itself.  Obviously real cheap, rusty razors are going to hurt, but once you get into the popular brands, they're all the same to me.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »
I used a straight razor for years. It took awhile to get the hang of it, awhile longer to get the hang of keeping itbelieve it or notrazor-sharp.

My ex-wife used it to open a package. I gave up in despair and went back to plastic-packaged blades.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 05:03:04 PM »
Straight Razors -

Back when [tm] the Barbers used to use a Straight Razor . Health Dept - said "no more". They now use what looks like a straight razor - with a disposable blade.  This all came about with the Aid Concerns ....

Box Cutters use disposable blades, not straight razors...no wonder the world has gone to hell in a handbasket...

Sigh...

I'd go in to my Barber at the time. Drink his coffee, read his paper.  He would finish up the guy before me, remove the real cloth covering, the real cloth to protect the neck, use real talcum powder.  Set the straight razor in the "Sterile Box" ...He'd grin " Ivory, Silver, or Tortoise Shell" , I'd reply Ivory, and the Ivory handled Straight Razor would be getting the edge, the leather strop was attached to the chair...

My trim would be with  a Straight Razor, " Razor cut" as we called it then.  Scissors used for my moustache, or to make my ponytail if wearing one at the time - remove the split ends.  I'd get a shave, and back of neck  shaved with a SR.

No scissors to cut my hair, skill of a surgeon to "cut and style" - before that meant charging too much for a haircut.

Old Fella died - he had a collection of Straight Razors, collection of shaving mugs, brushes, scissors...

Now he had a fella try to rob him one night while making a bank deposit,...he knew all about straight razors,  punk saw the glistening of steel and the grin of the old man- took off running.

When the Health Dept said no more...he used one as ....well in the midst of the table / chairs/waiting area...  apples, pears, peaches, cheese...Some young kid made fun of the "old ways".

Kid lost a $5 bet - said them razors not for good nothing...Barber shaved a peach with one....I mean he shaved it smooth as a baby's butt, with no nicks...

*grin*

M67

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 05:17:09 PM »
I got mine as a gift, after hinting that I wanted one, while I was in the military. It took me a week or two to learn how to use it, and during the learning process the guy I shared a room with claimed that there was more blood than water in the wash basin. He was exaggerating, and besides none of the cuts were serious. Smiley

Once you've learned it though, I find that it is like riding a bike, the skill never quite goes away. My father says the same, he wore a beard for I think he said 28 years, then started using his straight razor again without cutting himself. I have even tried left handed, just to see if I could. I haven't cut myself while shaving left handed, but it is a bit slower and more clumsy. Regarding sm's post, yes I can use a straight razor without a mirror, but it's a lot faster and the result is better with a mirror than without.

I currently have a problem with my razor, it has somehow lost its edge. Keeping it sharp is one thing, I did that for years. But resharpening a straight razor is a female dog of a job, I just haven't managed to get it right, the steel is hard as glass. So right now I'm using one or other of the modern 68 blade safety thingies. But this thread may just have inspired me to make another attempt with great-grand-dad's old honing stone...

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 05:31:17 PM »
Norton IB6 Whetstone, honing oil , patience....

Also the Old Timers [ said with utmost respect] Would take a block of wood, glue a pc of heavy leather to it, akin to a whetstone. Then using a backward "pull" if you will - strop "heavier"  than one does using the strop on the side of the chair....

It works for knives this leather 'whetstone" ...

Though I am not too far from where AR Whetsones are mined....we all grew up using Norton. Stones held up and didn't get "grooved" and "wallowed out".

One of my Norton's , one of the first I bought myself is over 35 years old...I have one given to me nearing 60...came in really cool walnut box....

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 05:34:40 PM »
great-grand-dad's old honing stone
What kind of stone is it?  In skilled hands, or really even just a notch above novice, you should be getting a good edge with about 30 seconds of honing.  I was taught to use the stone when the seasons change, and to use both leather and canvas strops to dress up the edge.  I picked up one of these Austrian made stones that looks like a fat ceramic tile, and it gives me a good edge with 2 or 3 passes on each side.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 05:42:50 PM »
Norton Stones are ceramic , akin to ceramic used in furnaces. IIRC the Austrian stone I saw once was very similar.