Author Topic: What states in the United States do not require. . . . . . .  (Read 4728 times)

Darkmind

What states in the United States do not require. . . . . . .
« on: March 06, 2005, 02:06:49 AM »
proof of US citizenship to get a drivers license?

I remember seeing something on the high road about 11 states in the United States that do not require proof of US citizenship to get a drivers license.  I tried searching the net to find out what states they are but I could not come up with anything.  I need to know what the 11 states are.  My place of employment requires proof of US citizenship just to enter the building and as of right now they accept a state issued drivers license as proof.  There may be a violation somewhere in this and it needs to be brought up too a certain person, but before I do that I need to find out which 11 states they are.

Can someone please help me with this?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

Darkmind

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
Anybody, anybody at all?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

Darkmind

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:32:39 AM »
New day, well anybody know?

SEMPER FI

mfree

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »
Tennessee has driving permits for illegal aliens, so I assume that we issue driving permits without legal ID.

Now, that "license" is completely covered in "Not for ID" and "illegal alien" stuff, but it's still a driving permit.

junyor

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 07:29:56 PM »
Sorry, just saw this.  

The 11 states that issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens are: Alaska, Connecticut, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and West Virginia.  According to this source: http://www.theamericanresistance.com/issues/drivers_licenses.html

Here is an article from The Christian Science Monitor that includes a quote that 11 states issue DLs to illegals: http://www.christiansciencemonitor.com/2005/0217/p03s01-uspo.html
-----

Non-Resident DL

There seems to be some disparity out there as to the actual number of states that permit non-citizens to have DLs: "Motor vehicle administrations in 18 states (HI, IL, MI, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NY, NC, ND, OR, RI, TN, UT, VT, WA and WI) do not require drivers license applicants to be legal residents"  from: http://immigration.about.com/od/ussocialeconomicissues/i/DriverLicIssue.htm

According to the Federation for American Immigration Reform the number of states that allow non-residents to have dls is 15. "The following states, legal residence is not required to apply for a driver's license: Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin."  from: http://www.fairus.org/ImmigrationIssueCenters/ImmigrationIssueCenters.cfm?ID=1202&c=14

The confusion over non-resident DLs may stem from the different identification requirements that states have in place for issuing, since both of the articles are from mid to late 2004, although it is possible that 4 states passed legislation during that time frame tightening residency requirements.  Hope this helps.