Author Topic: POP3 Server Error.  (Read 1407 times)

POP3 Server Error.
« on: May 31, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Okay folks , I need some help please.

I may be taking IT classes, just I am not to this part of studies yet.

XPPro
[Windoze firewall is OFF, all updates are current]
Dial Up ISP
Firefox
Thunderbird

Note: I have to use Outlook Express for some IT stuff, this I do access from home. Now when I have to access IT stuff via Internet Explorer - I use the College's Computers - just download to flashdive. Exceptions are for Critical Updates for at home...

Norton Internet Security [ which I have to disable to Access Cisco , and online course material]

Free Versions of :
AVG Antivirus (www.grisoft.com), Zone Alarm, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware.

The problem occured when AVG sent out the last updates about a week ago.

Outlook Express:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.outdrs.net (2)', Server: 'mail.outdrs.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Thunderbird:

The server responded with an error with POP3

Yes I went to AVG  (www.grisoft.com) forum.  I did unintstall AVG. I re-installed AVG. I removed anyting AVG from ZA , them put them back in.

With AVG uninstalled - everything worked.

I'll be honest, I doubt I will renew my Symnatec, and never been a fan of McAfee.  For some reason I prefer the  AVG and others apps. Maybe it is the feeling of getting shafted for something I am not getting - and getting a more secure set up using the non, or less proprietary folks.

My next thought was to uninstall Symnatec/ Norton Internet Security. To see what that does.  

Not sure what is best. AVG or Norton.  Is running two AVG not needed, causing the problems?

Any ideas?  I'd appreciate it.

Steve

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
POP3 Server Error.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »
AVG could be blocking the return connection for POP3 from your mail server,  can you check any AVG logs on the system?  (I'd look, but I run the retail AVG, not the free version, and I'm not at home at the moment).

I'm not a fan of McAfee either.  I dumped it when I discovered that the "firewall" was blocking the Remote Access/Remote Assistance setup I was testing on my home network, and could find no way to configure it to permit such access.  I run Kerio Personal Firewall (http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html) as a last barrier into my boxes, behind the DSL firewall and MS ISA Server 2000.  Much more configurable.

Hmmmm...re-reading your post.  I'd say the AVG is misconfigured or broken, based on the error message you are getting
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server
Are you using the firewall beta product they advertise on their web site?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Azrael256

• friend
POP3 Server Error.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:03:57 PM »
First off, running two antivirus programs can cause serious headaches.

This sounds to me like a problem with Outlook.  I'm not terribly familiar with Outlook Express, but you need to disable SSL.  I can connect to it just fine through telnet, and it never demands a SSL handshake.

Norton could be the culprit.  I don't know about the latest versions, but the old ones came with a mail proxy that would supposedly filter malware.  The problem was that it generally didn't work.  Dump all Symantec products.  They are the root of all evil.  They will take over a system, and are a serious pain to get rid of.  Also, check your ZA logs to see if your mail traffic is being blocked.  It shouldn't be, but something may have triggered a change.