Author Topic: Para-cord / leather wrapping techniques.  (Read 10590 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Para-cord / leather wrapping techniques.
« on: March 06, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
Maybe this actually fits over at THR somewhere, but I figured I'd just ask here since it is of general information.

I picked up a .357 levergun this weekend (told myself not to buy any guns at the gun show.. didn't make it) and after shooting 100 or so rounds through it my knuckles were a bit beat up that night.

Sooo... I want to wrap the lever up with some leather straps.

Now, I've done (tried) this with a couple knives in the past using para cord but I wasn't entirely happy with the results.  I had no real idea what I was doing and over time the kinda fell apart.  At least it took a year to do it in each case.

I can't find any good guides on the 'net for such wrapping techniques... anybody out there know of one?  Preferably illustrated, since I'm not all that smirt.

griz

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:18:45 PM »
Assuming I can figure out how to post a pic :? , like this:

If you put some kind of padding on the inside of the lever first it will give your knuckles less of a running start before they hit.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 07:44:39 PM »
In addition to wrapping, I have seen glue used to secure a knife handle.  I think it's some kind of urethane glue, but I'm not sure.  You're supposed to coat the entire wrapped area to secure it.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 06:04:57 PM »
If using leather, would wetting the leather first be advised?

That way, when it dries, it will shrink a bit making a tighter fit.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:59:26 AM »
I would keep the leather as dry as possible, even after it was installed. Already have enough rust. :cry:
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.