Author Topic: Crossing America Challenge (A Survival Exercise)  (Read 6742 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crossing America Challenge (A Survival Exercise)
« on: March 06, 2005, 04:27:03 PM »
I just came across this on the Kim du Toit website:
-----------------------------
The Challenge:

You have the opportunity to go back in time, arriving on the east coast of North America circa 1650, and your goal is to cross the North American continent, taking as much time as you need. When/if you reach the Pacific coastline, youll be transported back to the present day.

Your equipment for this journey will be as follows (taken back in the time capsule with you):

-- enough gold to buy provisions for the first five days travel
    -- a small backpack containing some clothing essentials
    -- a winter coat, raincoat and boots
    -- waterproof sleeping bag
    -- ONE long gun (and 800 rounds, but no scope)
    -- ONE handgun (and 1,000 rounds)
    -- TWO knives
    -- an axe
    -- a box of 1,000 strike anywhere waterproof matches
    -- a topological map, binoculars and a compass
    -- and a U.S. Army First Aid kit.

Once there, youll be given a horse, a mule and a dogand apart from that, youre on your own. Remember youll be traveling through deep woods, open prairie, desert and mountains. You may encounter hostile Indian tribes and dangerous animals en route, which should be considered when you answer the following questions (and only these):

1. What long gun would you take back in time with you?
    2. What handgun?
    3. Which knives?
------------------------------------

So how would you guys do this? Having the benefit of hindsight because I read his results, http://www.kimdutoit.com/ee/index.php/essays/ I'm divided between two scenarios on the guns: Either a Garand and a .44mag revolver (undecided between single and double action), or else a .44mag 1894 Marlin and a .44mag revolver (to cover myself if one gun gets broke / lost -- the ammo is still usable for the second). I'm thinking both hunting and potentially defense against multiple attackers (I watched "Last of the Mohicans" last night Tongue  ), which is why I didn't go for a bolt action on the rifle.

For a while I was thinking .22 pistol for small game and such, but if you lose your rifle, have fun with grizzlies and Injuns. Smiley

Shotgun would have been versatile, but 800 shotshells takes up a lot of room, even if you have a beast of burden.

On knives, I would definitely go with a fixed blade. Probably two K-Bars. At first I thought two knives was dumb -- a knife and folding saw would be much more useful. But if you lose a knife in 1650, good luck finding another one in the middle of unsettled America. Given the value of a knife as a basic survival tool, two is probably a good idea.

If I could tweak the items on his list, I would swap the 1000 matches for a magnesium fire starter. I would also, instead of buying five days provisions with the gold, instead buy salt, flour, and other "edible accessories" to preserve meat and break up the all meat diet, at least for longer than 5 days.

I like that he threw in a dog. Another mouth to feed, but at least you have a buddy to stand guard at night and let you get some shut-eye. Smiley

So what would you guys do? His list of supplies isn't ideal, and I could think of a better 10 or so item list, but that's another thread... Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Sell it all and buy a bus ticket...

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Jason

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »
Okay, I'll play.
Long-Gun: .303 Enfield with stripper clips
Handgun: Gov't 1911 .45
Knives:  A Leatherman and a buck hunting knife with gut hook.

The Garand is a bad choice, since it can't be topped off with loose ammo.

A good dog will help keep itself fed, and is worth its weight as a gaurd.

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »
Let me start by saying that this thread would fit better on THR, being gun-related:  but anyway, here goes.

The rifle is the more difficult choice, as you'll be moving from heavily forested areas on the East Coast, through the Midwest, prairie, etc., then through mountains, and finally the coastal plateau on the West Coast.  So, your rifle has to provide for and defend you at ranges ranging from a few feet right out to several hundred yards.  It also has to be light enough to be easily carried, with ammunition that doesn't weigh you down too much (so as to prevent you carrying enough on your person).  Given that the rifle will also have to serve in self-defence situations, it would probably be a good idea to get one that will stand up to rapid fire (most civilian hunting models won't do so very well), and one that can be used as a club if necessary.

Given all that, I have to opt for either a M1 Garand or an M14 (or its civilian counterpart, the M1A).  For preference, I'll take the M14/M1A, due to magazine loading, decent sights, and reasonably easy maintenance.  The .308 round will take anything necessary in the Lower 48, where I'm travelling, and is also very good for self-defence.  It's a bit light for the big bears, but not unreasonably so (heck, bears were taken with .44-40's in the 1870's and 1880's, so a .308, with three times the energy, should work fine!).  Of course, in a bear charge from 20 feet, the .308 is a bit shy in the energy department:  but half-a-dozen of them in rapid fire should do the job.

For a handgun, no question - Ruger Redhawk (not the Super Redhawk) in .44 Magnum, 5½" barrel, stainless steel.  I'd probably put Pachmayr Decelerator grips on it.  It's got enough punch to defend against even the toughest animal, but all the reliability of Ruger.  I'd probably do a moon-clip conversion on it to allow for ease and speed of reloading.  I'd carry mostly 240gr. JHP loads, with a few Garrett Hammerheads thrown in for bear country, and a judicious selection of downloaded, faster JHP's for self-defence (although the 240gr. load, if selected carefully, might do for both hunting and defence).
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:26:54 AM »
Let me start by saying that this thread would fit better on THR, being gun-related: but anyway, here goes.

Well, I was thinking of that, but the reason I put it here is that I was wanting to get more discussions going. After that megathread about "don't take Roundtable away" I was kinda hoping there would have been a greater initial surge of participation here.  Sad

I know -- patience Ben, patience. And now I've gone and taken my thread off-topic. Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 03:54:08 PM »
When I first played in Kim's game my choice was a No.4 Mk.I Lee-Enfield and a Ruger Single Six.  I've since changed my mind.  Smiley

I figure if I have enough money for a time machine then I'd have enough money for a completely custom rifle.  It would be a left-handed No.4 Mk.II Lee-Enfield in 7x57mm Mauser with the following features:

-- Barrel and action made of stainless steel, then finished in the same paint that the Brits used on their L-Es.
-- 20" barrel with a Phantom-style flash hider.
-- Buttstock would have the same shape as an M-1 Garand and be fitted with a Garand buttplate, and holding a cleaning kit in the butt.  Both butt and forearm would be made from dark brown glass filled nylon.
-- Iron sights with the same sight picture as an M-1, but the front sight would have a tritium insert.
-- 2.5x Leupold long eye relief scope mounted in QD rings on a quarter rib on the barrel.
-- I'd have a sound suppressor for when it seemed like a good idea.  It would attach to the barrel via lugs mounted behind the flash hider; removing the flash hider wouldn't need to be removed before mounting the suppressor.
-- Brit canvas L-E sling in QD 1.25" swivels.

Ammo would be loaded with 154 Nosler Partitions and wouldn't be hot-rodded.  A main reason for choosing 7x57 is that it gives the basically same ballistics as 7mm-08 but at lower pressures.  Cases would be nickle plated and waterproofed.  I'd carry one spare magazine with the rest of the ammo in stripper clips.

The handgun would be my 4" Ruger Police Service Six .357, which is made of stainless steel and has Pachymar Presentation grips.  Ammo would be mostly full .357 Magnum 158, loaded with Hornady 158 grain JHP-XTPs.  I'd carry two or three speed loaders on my belt.

My sheath knife would be my Becker BK-7.  I'd have a custom multitool made with a 3" clip point blade, 2" sheepsfoot blade, pliers, and screwdriver blades to fit all the screws on the rifle and Ruger.

Andrew Wyatt

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:59:11 PM »
I'd carry a model 25 or a peacemaker in .45 colt, because it reloads nicely with black powder.

the rifle would be a handi rifle with two barrells, one  in .45-70, and one in 12 gauge.

i dare you to beat that.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 04:05:22 PM »
Once you guys have decided on the supplies, PM me 'cause I wanna go along.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andrew Wyatt

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 04:06:56 PM »

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »
Boy, that's a toughie.  I'm ready to give the nod to a Mosin Nagant over the M1A, only because with the lack of complexity means that the rudimentary maintenance you'd be doing on it, it would last a lot longer.  I don't think you'd need semi automatic fire so much.  However, it's heavy and not as accurate.  But to be different, I'd say a M/N M38.

For a handgun, I'd probably second Preacherman's Ruger Blackhawk choice in 44 mag.

I don't really know knives, but I'd want a couple of biggies.  Smiley

Love, James.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor