Author Topic: Atlanta councilman wants to ban baggy pants?  (Read 3365 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Atlanta councilman wants to ban baggy pants?
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:16:37 AM »
I suppose C.T. Martin wants to ban wearing of swimsuits too?

From http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8R6SCL80&show_article=1

ATLANTA (AP) - Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws.

The amendment, sponsored by city councilman C.T. Martin, states that sagging pants are an "epidemic" that is becoming a "major concern" around the country.

"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants. They would also be prohibited from wearing jogging bras in public or show a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Atlanta councilman wants to ban baggy pants?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:20:24 AM »
A number of municipalities, including Los Angeles, banned Zoot Suits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:23:20 AM »
Every time I see one of those wannabe g-bangers wearing baggy pants I have the urge to walk up behind them and drop a lit cigarette butt down there.  If I smoked, which I don't, but if I did...........

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »
If they want to wear their pants that way fine.  Just makes it easier to catch them when they try to run.  Hard to run with your pants around your knees.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »
I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future.

If that's what government is up to, I'd say the future is bleak, indeed.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
It's quite apparent that our governments just don't have enough to do or they're focusing on the inane vs the important things.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:14:20 AM »
The part of me that subscribes to Plato's idea of government really finds this appealing.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »
Hooray!  Finally someone in the US is making sense!

I want the following banned:  men in sandals, monkey butts, beer guts, wearing Harley t-shirts to court, wallets with chains, dirty work boots and shorts worn together, and a long list of stuff that I will think of later.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
Hooray!  Finally someone in the US is making sense!

I want the following banned:  men in sandals, monkey butts, beer guts, wearing Harley t-shirts to court, wallets with chains, dirty work boots and shorts worn together, and a long list of stuff that I will think of later.

[/Gasps] A list of things to ban, and nothing lawn related?!?!?! I'm telling your underlords at the HOA the time is ripe for a coup.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws.

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants. They would also be prohibited from wearing jogging bras in public
I suppose C.T. Martin wants to ban wearing of swimsuits too?

All of those ideas make perfect sense.  And just when did it become acceptable for men to be shirtless in public? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pew pew pew

• friend
  • Hello!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
Don't oppress my nipples, fistful.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 03:15:15 PM »
Consider your nipples oppressed.  Tongue

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 05:44:15 PM »
Be careful not to oppress nipple rings either.   angel

And just when did it become acceptable for men to be shirtless in public?
When did it become unacceptable?  And why am I supposed to care if some clown wants to wear falling-down trousers, baring his boxers?

And why should I complain if a woman wants to wear sports bras or visible thongs?  It's not "proper" lady-like behavior?
Not to mention that it's often impossible for a woman to completely hide bra straps if her dress/cami/whatever also has straps.  So that prohibition bans an entire class of summer women's clothing.

If bra straps and thongs and boxers are so offensive, I propose banning underwear.  That ought to motivate people to properly wear their primary layer of clothing.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »
Do you also oppose ordinances against public nudity? 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 06:31:59 PM »
We aren't talking about public nudity, are we?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »
We're talking about its close cousin, public near-nudity and showing off your boxers.  The principles that justify nudity laws should be extended a tad further. 

Do you support nudity laws? 

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 08:13:58 PM »
Do they volunteers for "Thong Patrol"?  laugh

Seriously, in a city rampant with murders and assaults, who does he think is going to pay for this?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
We're talking about its close cousin, public near-nudity and showing off your boxers.  The principles that justify nudity laws should be extended a tad further.
Well, when you put it like that... absolutely.  I think it's morally offensive for anyone to be out in public without a burkha.  That would merely be extending current nudity laws a bit further, right?  I mean, heaven forbid that anyone actually sees anyone else's skin.

Do you not recognize a difference between nudity laws, which prohibit exposure of genitals and female breasts, and laws prohibiting exposure of undergarments (which happen to be functionally indistinguishable from swimwear, which is legal just about everywhere)?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 11:31:20 PM »

Do you not recognize a difference between nudity laws, which prohibit exposure of genitals and female breasts, and laws prohibiting exposure of undergarments (which happen to be functionally indistinguishable from swimwear, which is legal just about everywhere)?

That begs the question.
If the law can dictate wearing clothing then it can dictate wearing certain kinds of clothing.  I'd like to see someone argue against this without relying on a slippery slope fallacy.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »
"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

Who made this guy the parent of Atlanta's youth?
It's a fad, just another ridiculous fad like ankle-breaker platform shoes and paisley prints, hot pants and neon-colored polyester leisure suits. Those that practice it will either abandon it when they learn it gets them nowhere in the game of survival (like at a decent job) or they'll find somewhere that it's accepted (like in prison).
Gee whiz, if you see something you don't like, quit staring at it.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »
I say we:

- Ban the wearing of socks with sandals; leisure suits; sweater vests; doo-rags; horn-rimmed glasses; sunglasses with lenses of an area greater than 2 in^2; jewelry depicting any letter, combination of letters, or symbol (especially a unit of currency); flat caps or close variations including the Newsboy style (unless over the age of 50); wifebeaters in public (unless engaged in exercise); etc.

- Ban the display of upper butt-crack (A.K.A. fanny cleavage), either male or female, either intentional or unintentional

- Ban use of cell phones while driving, punishable by flogging on the local nightly news (unrelated, but while we're at it...)  smiley

- Repeal anti-smoking laws due to their basis in blatant discrimination
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:49 AM »
Had a couple of my daughters friends who would wear their pants around their ass.  Told them how the trend got started and they quickly decided to pull them up.

For those of you who don't know.  The trend started in prison as a way for a guy to show that he was available.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:07:02 AM »
Don't oppress my nipples, fistful.
Consider your nipples oppressed.  Tongue

When did we start practicing S&M here?!?  shocked

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »
Who are you to judge me?   angry

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 04:27:26 AM »
Sometimes, there can be too much freedom of expression.

Consider:

Sports bra.

Thong.

Rosie O'Donnell.

Think about it.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain