Main Forums > The Roundtable

First religious question

(1/8) > >>

griz:
OK, here we go. Im starting this knowing that this is the thin ice on which we are to be careful. So lets be nice.

Now that we are allowed to politely discuss this once taboo topic, I'll start with this question. It is lifted from THRs RT, so some will recognize it.
Why does God (or Gods, any Supreme Being) allow suffering?  I tend to believe its an unfortunate byproduct of the extremes, IE you cant appreciate good weather with out bad weather. But Im not sure that is a good answer.  What do you think?

P95Carry:
I am not even goin' to get in deep here!  Just cruisin thru   I am non-religious BTW, tho do have my own set of values etc.

If ''God'' is benevolent then yeah - why all the suffering.?  Awful lot of the ''only the good die young'' type of thing.  And, why do BG's live when GG's die etc .. similar thing.

Another one ... if God is impartial - why or how does praying to ''Him'' before military action give your side any ''edge'' over the other side - the guys you really, really want to kill, badly!  If both sides ask for ''help'' - for their ''just cause'' ... where does that leave a God?

How come for some - they can sin all they want, screw up folk's lives and then - go and get absolution ... all ready to start over again?

Ok ... I won't partake too much - been in discussions before on this and not likely to changes views this late but - sure as heck, feel I have earned some of my cynicism !

Debate on fellas ... there's many miles ahead!

Guest:
[ Off all people to reply - I know]

My perception is - One never knows whom is watching another.  Be it good times or bad times. Folks are used to set examples of how a belief in "Something Greater Than Themselves" can assist them in daily living , be this  times of good fortune, or times of being less fortunate.

Human beings can become all messed up by a windfall of monies - or being Dx with a terminal illness.

Sharing Experience ,Strength, and Hope, one of many beliefs shared in a variety of Belief systems.

One is used to help their fellow man, pass forward, and perpetuate some Beliefs, ethics, more's , principles.

Preacherman will perhaps have some better explanations - best ignore mine and listen to his.

Pilgrim:
Because we're not His pets.

I have two whippets.  I do my best to make their life comfortable and without pain.  As a result, they are not in charge of their destiny, I am.

If we are to control our destiny, we have to suffer the pain and consequences of our bad decisions along with the joys of our good decisions.

Pilgrim

grampster:
Free will, ladies and gentleman, free will.  With billions of people exercising same, there are far reaching ramifications throughout time and space.

Regarding weather, well,  nature seems to interact with itself in ways that are fairly well understood and after that things happen and we tend to be in the way from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version