Author Topic: Supremes: Govt can take your home for a Walmart  (Read 2200 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Supremes: Govt can take your home for a Walmart
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:43:50 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/scotus.property.ap/index.html
WASHINGTON (AP) -- -- The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses -- even against their will -- for private economic development.
Some of that's happening near where I live. A church, believe it or not, wants to condemn a perfectly good neighborhood to put up a Pathmark supermarket:

This strikes me as one of the more un-American things the Supremes have done recently. angry

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

crownvic

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »
5-4 vote, I hope this can be overturned when some of these "Justices" retire or are replaced.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:26:08 PM »
Under discussion on THR and TFL.  

SCOTUS' decision may well be the best thing to happen to constitutional government in a long time.  Everyone knows what it would be like to lhaving your home confiscated.  Legal BS aside, SCOTUS is wrong and all but the most brain damaged can understand the concept of right and wrong.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
Even at all the 'liberal' news sites, polls show about 1-3% support for confiscation for private use.  No support anywhere except the SC, as far as I can see.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 02:15:21 PM »
Even at all the 'liberal' news sites, polls show about 1-3% support for confiscation for private use.  No support anywhere except the SC, as far as I can see.
Those guys just can't get their act together it seems. Wasn't there a recent decision where they said they took into account the will of the people and international law (death penalty for kids I think). This decision surely isn't consistent with that one. Is it?Huh???
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 03:22:11 PM »
Why am I not surprised?  Good grief...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 03:48:58 PM »
I'd call this one of the primary keystones of our nation being knocked out of place.
Goodbye United States of America
It was a great run.  I'll shed a tear as I pray to God, then stock up on SHTF supplies.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 04:06:33 PM »
Watch Bush nominate a wimpy Republican. Watch the representatives of the Democratic (sic) party have a hissing fit to end all hissing fits.

Watch Mrs. Snopes Clinton win in 2008 because the Republicans didn't do anything more strenuous than talk for eight years.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:31:12 AM »
Mebbe all those dirty hippies protesting the WTO and globalist agendas are on to something.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 09:23:14 PM »
Blackburn, the difference, this time, is that this can actually impact joe sixpack.  Even the most lazy and drunken American will take notice when it's HIS home being bulldozed to make way for a strip mall.

Strings

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 08:27:51 AM »
So... anyone know the going price for a Supreme Court Justice? That's the ONLY way this makes any sense...

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 09:14:47 AM »
Anyone know where a Supreme Court  justice lives?  

Would it be a good location for a Wal-Mart?  How about a Starbucks?  Shooting range?

Let's pool our money (by all I mean everyone in the US who thinks that decision is a travesty) and develope the property of a SC justice.  After all, it's for the good of the government.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Strings

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 04:54:37 PM »
Fly... that would be PERFECT!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 05:55:36 PM »
Someone on THR said something about us all getting together and forming a corporation, and then siezing a SCOTUS justice's home to build a firing range....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour