Author Topic: Cheap stuff to do in Chicago  (Read 3088 times)

Cheap stuff to do in Chicago
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:35:30 PM »
I've accidently acquired two additional children, hopefully on a temporary basis, and so I've had to cancel our planned white water rafting trip (the kids are 7 and 8 and so too little for me to feel comfortable being able to keep on eye on both of them along with Ryan who still needs a bit of watching himself.)

Instead, I'd like to take a trip to Chicago. I need to find cheap things to do, though, because any kind of activity is going to add up fast with extra kids.

So, any suggestions for free or nearly free stuff to do? None of the museums appear to have free days during July, except the Museum of Stained Glass Windows, which we might visit.

There are also the fireworks on Navy Pier, which we'll definitely see.

What else??

Justin

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
I don't recall the cost, but consider taking a trip to the observation floor of the Sears Tower.  Very cool.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Ron

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:07:29 PM »
The Lincoln Park Zoo is still free.  http://www.lpzoo.com/index2.html

I second the Sears Tower suggestion.  I  think it still has the record for highest occupied floor.  That makes it the tallest building to me regardless of the "experts".

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 06:29:19 AM »
From what I understand Chicago has some pretty nice museums. I'm contemplating a trip there for the family sometime next year to visit old King Tut.
Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

BobCat

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 06:40:17 AM »
The Museum of Science and Industry (on the South Side) is an absolute wonder, especially for children.  I'm sorry I don't know if it is free or not, but it certainly used to be.  You could spend several days there and not exhaust the wonder; it is a **great** place.

If you get a chance for an Italian Beef sandwhich, go for it!  Little Al's near the University of Illinois campus is great, but there are lots of little places that are probably just as good.

Chicago is known for wonderful and diverse food, great blues, museums, and political corruption; and I am known for not having any tact.  I miss the food and blues.  Enjoy your trip.

Oh, and the John Hancock tower is free - or was a couple years ago.  View arguably as good as Sears tower.

Regards,
Andrew
"Retractable Claws - the *original* concealed carry"
http://www.bayourifles.org

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 10:45:36 AM »
Are they Matrix fans?  I had some friends wander around once finding all the places the film was filmed.  They had great fun, but they were Matrix geeks.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
Ha, there's nothing free in Chicago, except the Stained Glass museum at Navy Pier, and the fireworks. Smiley

We're going to do the Museum of Science and Industry and go to the Taste of Chicago and do some wandering around..maybe one other activity..I'm thinking the Shedd Aquarium, but we'll see how we do on time. Maybe we'll do the Hancock building but its something like $15.00 per person, over age 11. I was shocked that all the attractions seem to have doubled in the past few years since I've been there.

I found a reasonably priced room that will sleep 5 by the airport and figure taking the Blue Line will be cheaper than trying to park downtown, as well as easier on my nerves.

Since besides being the road trip queen, I'm also the queen of pack your own darned food for most of the trip, I should be able to do this relatively inexpensively, even with 5 of us.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 09:15:23 PM »
Are they Matrix fans?  I had some friends wander around once finding all the places the film was filmed.  They had great fun, but they were Matrix geeks.
As far as I know, "The Matrix" was filmed in Sydney, Australia.  That said, the Wachowski brothers are originally from Chicago, and a lot of geographic references, street names, stuff like that, are obviously taken from Chitown.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

BobCat

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 04:24:57 AM »
Barbara,

I am quite interested to read your trip report - hoping you had a great time and did not break the bank.

A few weeks ago my boss and his wife visited Chicago.  Upon his return, he and I discussed the city, and he said something interesting.  He told me that as much as I pointed out how it was really a microcosm of 16th century european fudalism, rather than 19th-20th century representative government, I still spoke of it with affection.

His comment gave me pause to consider whether one's old home town remains in one's affections, even when one's conscious mind says, "You couldn't get me to go back there at gunpoint!"

Hope y'all had fun!

Regards,
Andrew
"Retractable Claws - the *original* concealed carry"
http://www.bayourifles.org