Author Topic: Scientology is crap. Scientology is crap. Scientology is crap.  (Read 1916 times)

[q
I find Scientology scary. Not even Radical Islamic Imams come close to being as scary.

Link: http://www.xenu.net/

The story is that Robert Heinlein and L. Ron Hubbard were talking and Heinlein noted that you could get rich if you could found a church and not have to pay taxes. So Hubbard went off and did it.

Hubbard himself repeatedly insisted that $cientology was not a religion - until the FDA busted their asses over the scientific health claims made for the E-meter. Then it became a religion. They still make the same claims, but the E-meter (like the rest of the scam) carries a disclaimer to the effect that it is a 'religious artifact.'

From what was gathered, the process of "clearing" eventually involves a device, the E-meter, that somehow or another gauges the accuracy of your beliefs on some subject or another and they use the results to help you "clear" your conscience by adjusting your beliefs until the device determines your beliefs on said subject are or have become "clear".

It's a primitive lie detector which measures skin conductivity. What they do is gather information about you. Lots of information. Detailed information. Information that might be embarassing. Very personal information. And then they hold that information against you if you ever try to leave or expose the 'Church'. With proper techniques you can make anyone believe almost anything about themselves, whether it's true or not- can anyone say blackmail?

Some people think they're legit, they're just extorting money, maintaining control over their members by threat of force, and harassing and suppressing dissenters and detractors through litigation and thinly veiled personal threats. Yeah, they're totally legit.

Not to mention the fact that they're a DANGEROUS SPACE ALIEN CULT.

Just watch 'Battlefield Earth' and THEN try to argue that Scientology's founder wasn't a nutcase. Oh, and trust me, the movie was better than the book, which isn't saying much because fifteen minutes into the movie my brain attempted to gnaw it's way through my skull to freedom.

Hubbard himself said that he was drinking a great deal of rum and taking stimulants and depressants ("I'm drinking lots of rum and popping pinks and greys") to assist his research. His assistant at the time, Virginia Downsborough, said that he "was existing almost totally on a diet of drugs."

Furthermore, they sued Cult Awareness Network in civil court and won the assets, thus shutting down the original anti-cult organization and removing anything they felt was defamatory towards the organization.

They are not, by any imaginable stretch of the words, a legitimate religion, any more than my religion of "Send Me $100 and You'll Go To Heaven". Which, by the way, is the only true religion, the rest of you nonbelievers and heretics can burn in hell.

The $100 is a deal - in 1994 it would cost at least $350,000 to clear someone through the entirety of the Scientology "bridge" - and that's if they "cleared" on the first time each stage of the way. It could easily cost much, much more.

Just to make it clear, I respect people that claim their "religion" as "Jedi" from Star Wars more than I do Scientologists.

At least Star Wars is good science fiction.

Sean Smith

Scientology is crap. Scientology is crap. Scientology is crap.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:04:51 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I find Scientology scary. Not even Radical Islamic Imams come close to being as scary.
In fairness to Scientology (which I consider completely nutty, by the way), they've facilitated alot less indiscriminate murder than radical Islam has.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:41:40 PM »
That's because they make you sign a waiver beforehand.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Just to make it clear, I respect people that claim their "religion" as "Jedi" from Star Wars more than I do Scientologists.
I agree.  I bought the Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard book for 25 cents at a garage sale when I was in high school and left it laying around to see how people reacted.  I eventually read it out of curiousity (and so I could field questions from the people who reacted to my leaving it laying around).  I can't remember a word it said, but I remember at the time thinking it was goofy.
For entertainment purposes only.

crt360

• friend
For entertainment purposes only.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 05:57:06 PM »
According to my kitty, the Great Cat is the real goddess, and she sends earthquakes to punish two-leggers who mistreat kitties.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
Spent quite a few of my formative years in the Clearwater/St Pete/Tampa area.  Clearwater is one of their main training centers.  You'd see them all walking around the old Clearwater Hotel (one of MANY properties they have bought up in Cleawater) in the Scientologist uniform: dark slacks, white shirt, and some literature.

There were lots of locals into clearing themselves of their inner Thetan.  My folks learned to avoid them, both socially and in business.

The Hubbardians have learned to lasso in not just gullible outcasts in search of metaphysical meaning and a place in a social framework, but they have learned to capture affluent soft-headed types.  The soft-headed affluent is the best kind for fleecing, I suspect.  The resources of their affluent converts makes Scientology a force to be reckoned with.

Hubbardian Metaphysics:
"A religion based on science fiction" is both accurate and too kind.  It was not up the standards of his earlier works of fiction.

One thing to remember is, we have freedom of religion in the USA (until the SCOTUS tells us otherwise).  We are free to find our way into the arms of Jesus or get the inner Thetan out of our head.  Soft-headed folks who join a cult of their own volition should be free to do so.  We also have the freedom to comment on any religion as we see fit.  Say something effective & nasty about Islam, get a fatwa in return.  Say something effective & nasty about the Hubbardian cultists, and expect a call from their solicitor.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 07:46:43 PM »
Hey guys, check out the game Fallout 2, for the PC..... In it, in San Francisco (post apocalypse, ) they have a scientologist cult, the "huboilogists, )

Totally hilarious treatment of scientology, and probably closer to truth than I know....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Justin

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 09:06:33 PM »
Hey guys, check out the game Fallout 2, for the PC
You know, I was recently reading about Fallout I & II.  Looked interesting, but is it even still available?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

...has left the building.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 06:04:11 AM »
Just remember, the night time is the right time, the night time is the right time, the night time is the right time... Cheesy

...has left the building.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 06:36:10 PM »
(See Adam Sandler's skit, "Joining the Cult")

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 10:35:40 AM »
careful now, talking smack about Scientology has gotten people sued...

atek3

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »
Yea, 'coz the truth hurts, THEM.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour