Author Topic: Offshore-proof careers?  (Read 2566 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Offshore-proof careers?
« on: June 25, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »
Hi, all,

Anyone else in here looking at offshore-proofing their careers? If so, how?

Thanks,
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Justin

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:08:49 AM »
Find something in the service industry: open a restaurant, car repair shop, etc.

Or just be really good at what you do and you probably will have a better time than most.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »
I know someone who is going to school to be a mortician.

Pretty much that and long-distance trucking are the only things safe.

Art Eatman

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 12:32:44 PM »
Learn to do more than just one thing.

People will always need stuff fixed.  Cars, lawnmowers, guns, appliances.  I see that auto-repair shops are at a flat-rate for labor of $65/hr and up...

People are always gonna need stuff hauled.  Moving across town.  Loads of gravel.  

Some lawn-guys are grossing around $100K a year.

At least learn how to run a backhoe, even if you don't go into the business.  Good operators aren't that common.  Same for other "big stuff".

Learn to weld.  You can find all manner of home projects you can do yourself, and do some neighborhood repair work from time to time.  "Extra cash" stuff...

And pull in your horns on your life style for a while.  Nobody ever got hurt by staying home, reading books, and saving their money.  And working in the garage on home fix-it projects...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Kharn

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:04:09 PM »
Anything military-related. By law, the military cannot procure things from overseas unless its not available in the US.

Kharn

Standing Wolf

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »
In exactly one short word familiar to one and all: sales.

I don't mean order-taking. I mean selling. There's an acute national shortage of people who can actually step right up and sell. It can't be out-sourced, and it pays better than most fields.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

mtnbkr

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 05:35:49 PM »
Anything that requires a security clearance.  Those jobs aren't going overseas.  If they are, they're taking the cleared individuals with them (ie: Middle East).

Chris

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 05:39:25 PM »
I don't mean order-taking. I mean selling. There's an acute national shortage of people who can actually step right up and sell. It can't be out-sourced, and it pays better than most fields.
I'll second that.  A really good salesperson is a joy to work with and will always have a job no matter what. I think I have met 2 or 3 superior sales guys in my life.  They knew their product, they knew their customer, they knew how to sell without being pushy, rude, or obnoxious.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 07:39:28 PM »
Skilled construction tradesmen -- plumbers, electricians, HVAC mechanics, masons.

Land surveyors.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Waitone

• friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 05:02:59 AM »
Be self employed.
Anything associated with dentistry, taxes, and death.

Services or government is the future of this country for the foreseeble future.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

...has left the building.

Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 06:05:17 AM »
Importer.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Offshore-proof careers?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 07:44:18 AM »
Based on my wife's experiences, nursing.

We are "importing" nurses from the Phillipines at a high rate and still can't keep up with the demand.  If I was 18 again I'd probably look at getting an RN / BSN / MSN (depending on how much education you can stand) rather than going into IT as I did.  I have a reasonably secure IT job (state govt) but I still worry a bit.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln