Author Topic: Motorcyclists: how many times have you dropped your bike?  (Read 3134 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Motorcyclists: how many times have you dropped your bike?
« on: June 25, 2005, 01:58:06 PM »
There seem to be a good number of motorcycle threads lately, and some comments about dropping bikes.

I honestly can't remember how many times I've dropped my '89 HD Springer. I remember one time right in front of the dealership on a weekend (that was embarrassing). Another time just a few years back when I was in a driveway that was deeply paved with beach pebbles. Amazing how those things behave like marbles.

Then there was the time when I was in a hurry to get back home from Utah for a well-paying photography shoot. Reached the limits of my energy in Elk City, OK. Paid for the motel room, got the key, pulled up in front of the room, locked my ignition and fork...and forgot to put the sidestand down. Had the bike laying on my left leg in under a second.

I said, "help." But there was nobody around. So, I yelled "help!"

The only response I got was from the little old lady in the next room. I watched her peek out the curtains, then saw her move to the door, and heard the click of the deadbolt. Ten or so minutes later, a couple on a Gold Wing pulled up. It took both of them to lift the bike off of me. (I was carrying a pretty large travel bag).

In each case, I was fortunate in that the bike landed on my leg, and didn't damage either my leg or the bike. (Cowboy boots make for good insulation against hot pipes).

So, am I the only clutz here, or is everyone else just afraid to admit dropping their bikes?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »
There are two types of motorcyclists, those who have been down, and those who will.

Mine came late one night when I had been working late.  I took a corner too wide and the gravel put me down.  I was wearing leathers, and my bike was new, so I bounced along on my elbow to save my paint.

Yes, I paid for it.

P95Carry

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 04:37:36 PM »
Dick - I sure take great pains to NOT do it!  Knocking on wood - it has been a long time since.

Back in later 80's I had a K1 Goldwing - lost that while negotiating a wet rough track to a range.  Front wheel was on side of mussy puddle and slipped - I had to let her go to right.  After three deep breaths I ''powerlifted'' the bike upright again - not easy!

Back in mid 90's - Yam' XJ 650 - trying to come out from parking, to pass back of a parked car on a steep downgrade ... applied full lock but - too much - had to let bike go!  Bit embarrassing as I got the thing up whilst watched by fascinated folks!

Only other nasty was - same bike - XJ - rear tire went soft overnight and that was enough to make side stand angle inadequate and so it fell - smashed part of the fairing I had on!

I am very careful these days tho!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:39:35 AM »
In my first two years of riding it averaged out nicely to once every 8000 miles, not counting the two car park speed  topples, one because my foot slipped and left me standing over  my bike, in public of course and the other putting my foot in a recessed manhole cover at a junction (it was dark and I was tired ok? ) that left me pinned by my left leg. Thankfully I ride sports bikes so I was able to lift it using my right leg and not left squirming underneath it like monkeyleg.  Is it wrong for me to chuckle at the thought of a harley rider learning the true weight of "American Iron"?

High speed crashes, erm, all my own fault. These really work well and saved my fairings.

http://www.rg-racing.com/crash-protectors-frame-sliders/frame-sliders-crash-protectors.html

I've 'tested' mushroom ones twice and they failed miserably both times. Failed to protect crank case or generator cover, snapped off destroying fairing mounts on the way past. Both sides of the same bike within a week of each other hence why I had not yet replaced them with something more efficacious.

You are not alone on the clutz award front old chap.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

onions!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 03:57:33 AM »
My '94 Intruder has been on the ground exactly twice.The first time was on the evenining of the first day I had it.I stopped off to Moms after work,parked it up at the top of her driveway,& waited on her front porch.Weeellll,Mom backs up pretty fast.So fast that she nailed my bike!It bounced from her plastic bumber to the aluminum garage door & then to the ground.Handlebar end cap scratched,footpeg bent,& scratched rr turn lamp asm.

In 2000 I was working 5pm til 5am.My boss walked in @ 5 o'clock & handed me his Gold Card.I was WTF?We walked out to where my bike was stuck under the back end of his T-bird.I lifted the plastic bumper up & off as he pulled forward.Oddly,the damage was identical to before except that the trn lmp asm was broken off-not just scratched.All the paint was fine.

I've been lucky not to put it down on the road.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:02:48 AM »
My old Yamaha took a lot of room to turn around because of the long fork tubes- one night I had to get WAY over on the shoulder of an oiled dirt road to make a very low speed U-turn and it found the mud in the bar ditch.  It's not a lot of fun trying to pick one up in the gumbo, which has a coefficient of friction similar to Teflon on wet ice.

By the way, the only damage done was mud on everything...me, bike, friends, boots, pants, shirt, etc. You get the picture Cheesy

If you ever HAVE to drop one, that's the way to do it.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 05:08:55 AM »
In 31 years of riding I've gone down 4 times - all in the first 4 years.

1) Country road, curve, gravel. I didn't see the gravel and down I went, head over heals, coming to an abrubt stop when my head collided with a tree stump. Wearing a helmet saved my life - don't leave home without one.

2) Neighborhood Intersection about 100 yards from where I lived while at college. Stopped at 4 way stop. Lady in car to my left reaches stop sign at same time I do. She waves me thru so I know she saw me. I pull out - and darned if she doesnt' too. It was either dump the bike or broadside the... anyway down I went. I get up and this lady is all over me apologizing, swearing she didn't see me. Since that day I just assume anyone in a cage is either blind or just wants to kill me.

These last two are totally my fault and the result of complete stupidity - both happened in 1978.

3) Coming home from bar at about 3AM or so. Streets deserted and I'm DRUNK! Green light and I'm turning right 90 degrees. Unfortunately that's kinda hard to do at 60 MPH. Skidded a good 100' or so after the bike went down. Road rash on left arm - mucho pain unfortunately being young and stupid I didn't learn my lesson.

4) Drunker'n a skunk. Beer run to local 7-11. On the way back doing 90 (remember I'm drunk). Road curves - only I don't realize it till it's too late. Went into a muddy, 8' deep ditch. Bike went end over end and so did I. Mud saved my sorry ass. Bike totaled.

That was the last time I ever had an accident on a motorcycle since. Figured GOD was trying to tell me something and if he wasn't my luck had run out.

Since then I ride as if there's a target on my back and everyone on the road is aiming for me. AS a safety precaution I assume I'm invisible. I NEVER, EVER, EVER ride if I've had any alcohol within 16 hours. Anytime I come up on a crossroad I preplan action I will take if something unexpectedly comes out of it. I assume that on country roads a deer or a farmer will come out of the woods or a driveway unexpectedly. On freeways I make sure I'm not in anyone's blind spot and I use the left third of the lane I'm riding in. I never ride close to a big rig than 1/4 mile and if I can I ride ahead of the sucker and not behind. I don't hassle tailgaters on a bike - I just get the hell out of their way. I ride like I CCW - there's no room for an I'm badder than you attitude on the road because if you're on a bike even a VW is tougher than you are.

When I get a new bike I slowy work up to the point where I am fully aware of the bikes capabilities in turns, straight aways, how it handles when crossing objects like train tracks, road trash, boards etc and how it handles during a panic stop.

Those rules have stood me in good stead for the past 27 years. Haven't had an accident since. I was very, very lucky back then. Now I ride smart.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

P95Carry

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 05:48:29 AM »
Werewolf - your ''post learning curve'' description of riding is spot on!  I think now I have ridden for 42 years, with odd spell bikeless.  Probably done over 200k miles and have exactly your line of thinking.  It is the ONLY way to go - good for you.
Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 06:55:17 AM »
Since I've been riding street bikes (1990) I've gone down 7 or 8 times
The last one I did this..

That's right.. the family jewels put that in the tank.
That was from a guy pulling out infront of me trying to beat traffic.  I still blame myself for not scanning well enough though.
They were all simply inexperience.. one I lost the front end while going around a corner (I didn't know the limits of my bike it was completely preventable) granted at the apex of the turn a gravel road exited onto a paved road. A few motorcycle cops had gone down there in the past. But I know I could have taken the corner with more experience.
Each wreck I had, I  tried to learn my lesson.. but hey when your 16 with a new 600cc sportbike(1990 ZX6 Kaw) you tend to not listen to your better half.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

P95Carry

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 07:05:01 AM »
Veloce - very big OUCH!!! Cheesy  Glad you were OK.
Chris - P95

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 07:18:11 AM »
Yeah the EMTs that arrived on the scene were shocked to see me on my feet and fine (except for the worse racking of my life)
I was wearing my leather jacket, jeans, leather gloves with metal studs, alpinestar boots and my Arai.
I denied the trip to the hospital.
BTW the car I hit (dodge intrepid) was totaled.  I hit the front left of his car and did a somersault over the hood and landed about 50 ft up the road.  The bike only saw cosmetic damage and a cracked lower triple. Amazing considering the damage to his car.. it was leaking oil and coolant. And had to be flatbedded out as the front left wheel was even tweaked out of place. Stupid plastic cars.
(You hear that Zundfolge.. don't hit any ducks with your dodge!)
The strange part was when I got up and walked to the driver to make sure he was ok.. all I heard was
"duh blag a flugah dah bluda da"  I thought of crap I'm more screwed up than I thought. Turns out he was deaf and dumb.

I still have yet to know if I can have offspring.  I never filed a lawsuit (probably should of but that's just me)
I didn't see any need to waste the EMTs time or make that guys life any tougher.  Stuff happens.
I'm also a firm believer that 99% of all motorcycle accidents are the rider's fault.
I failed to anticipate his moves.. and misjudged the situation.  
When your on a bike.. you are responsible for not only yourself but everyone else on the road.  Just my personal opinion.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 07:43:53 AM »
Yep ... looks like I'll never be an Uncle (and Mom is going to be pretty upset when she realizes that neither of us are giving her any grand kids Tongue )

yes ... that was a public admission that I'm veloce851's brother Shocked

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »
My GS500 I dropped several times, twice attempting to put it on the center stand, and once coming to a stop while leaned over on the side w/ my bad knee... live and learn, and learn on a cheap bike Smiley

atek3

thorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 08:37:24 PM »
4 times , all of them stupid as anything, most of them damaging.
once the front wheel got on a piece of plastic and slid out (did some damage)
slid out on mud once.
both of these like 5 mph

on my new bike- got cut off, forced into a right turn only lane, tried to go straight (dumb) guy in front turned right at last second. hit the ground pretty hard, maybe going 20, lots o damage, no real injury

i striaght dropped it a couple times- once turning around on too steep driveway.

CLASSIC= come to stop on a hilly driveway,  try to put my foot down, get hung up on shifter.
eeeeeeeerrrrk! tip over in slow motion.
i love to tell that one after someone tells some fantastic wreck story!

DOES IT count if you dont wreck? there was also the kid who backed out of his drive into me- my footpeg put a hole in his plastic bumper, i hit him pretty good but somehow managed to not wreck! that was my first wreck actually , many years ago

>>> so I bounced along on my elbow to save my paint.<<<<<
i know a bit about that- the decent wreck, i took the tank with my leg, trying to save it, and did. got a pretty sore leg.
lucky it was a slow wreck.  somehow managed to get my foot out of the way too- peg an brake was destroyed, foot was ifne

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56:57 AM »
About 3 times. Twice involving loose surfaces (sand and gravel.) The one time I dropped it in gravel, I was kind of messed up.

Skidded badly on a wet wooden bridge once, too. Not fun!

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

woerm

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 08:35:31 AM »
Sylvilagus

RE: Yamaha

I feel your pain

I've spilled on road twice,

once on a trail bike (after several spills on course it was old hat, walk over, pick up remount.

then I got cut off on a Yam 400 (speed of a falcon agility of a hippo).

tried to motocross over a median the Yam had zilch xcountry capability.

it took three people to stand that sucker up and get it back to the road.
too much iron up too high.
sold it the next day.

I'll stick to smaller stuff thanks, easier to right and ride even w/ road rash.

r
"Specialization is for insects."
Robert Heinlein

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 02:16:08 PM »
I'm getting my bike next week.  Yamaha Heritage 650.

Thanks for the thread, I have learned:

1.  Helmets (laws or not) are important.  Wear one.  

2.  Leathers.  Yes, they are pricy.  But how much do skin grafts cost now days?

3.  Watch what is going on ahead of you.  People look at motorcycles (well, the ones that don't ride) as targets.

4.  You are invisible, see number 3 above.

5.  Learn your equipment.  Learn its speed, turning radius, weight, and function.

6.  Wear a cup Cheesy

Wayne

thorn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »
>>>1.  Helmets (laws or not) are important.  Wear one.<<<<

YES= i dont get no helemt people-
EVERYTIME i hit the ground, i might have been going pretty slow, but i scratched my helmet EVERY time.

what would that have been like if it was my head on the pavement???

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 04:43:16 PM »
6.  Wear a cup Cheesy
Amen brother!

I wish I had kept my old helmet from my first crash.  I literally would not have my right ear had it not been for a FULL FACE helmet.

I remember in my senior year of highschool in my goverment class I wrote, argued and won the passing of a mandatory helmet law.

While my views have changed, (I absolutely do not support mandatory helmet or even seat belt laws )
For me common sense would dictate that anyone with a brain would use both.

BTW for anyone who has a nice helmet DONOT let a date or anyone for that matter handle it.
I had a cute date drop it once before.  Technically once any helmet is dropped its no good.
That goes for not putting it on the tank and accidently dropping it yourself :p

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 10:19:42 PM »
I wish I had kept my old helmet from my first crash.  I literally would not have my right ear had it not been for a FULL FACE helmet.
Ill second the full face helmet suggestion. I met a gentleman once that had a nasty wreck while wearing a "skull-cap", and frankly i would rather wear no helmet at all than something that will leave me alive looking like that.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 07:27:28 AM »
I've read (years ago) that full face helmets can actually cause more problems than they can help. Because of the solid part that wraps around and covers the chin the likelyhood of a broken neck in an accident is more than doubled. This is why I wear a normal helmet with face shield.

I've not read anything recent on the matter though so maybe the shape or tech has changed.

Anyone else know about full face helmets and their efficacy in an accident or can provide a link to an article or something.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 08:19:07 AM »
well just speaking from personal experience.  

I read several of those claims years ago.   And personally I find it BS
Those same reports claim that full face helmets reduce your hearing capability.
Now honestly how many of you have been driving down the road and stuck your head out the window.. can you hear ANYTHING besides the wind ripping by?

I would only wear a full face Snell approved helmet.
Find out what Snell is and why you want a Snell certified one http://www.smf.org/  

The fact is ANY time you go down you take the risk of suffering severe to critical injuries.  
Since I have gone down way too many times and enough to know what the effects of various types of wrecks will have on your body.
If some statitician wants to claim that a full face slightly increases my chance of a neck injury.  In lieu of saving my face.  Then I'll take that risk.

Riding a motorcycle is just that, a risky decision.   I say use your common sense and think about the effects of jumping out of the back of a pick up at 30, 50 or 80MPH and then YOU decide what kind of safety equipment you would prefer.  
I'll take my chances that the glove I wear will snag on something and rip my hand off.  
I'll take the chance that the leathers I wear will allow me to slide 30 feet further than my skin would, putting me at risk of hitting something 30 feet beyond the point my bare skin would have stopped me.
I'll take the risk that my head will snap back a bit more due to the weight of my helmet giving me more whiplash than I would have recieved without it.  I like my ear.. I think I'll protect it.
I'll take my chances.

InfidelSerf

• friend