Author Topic: BMW R65LS  (Read 2337 times)

HForrest

BMW R65LS
« on: June 25, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »
We might get a BMW R65LS motorcycle. The R65LS is just an R65 basically but with a little plastic cover on the headlight area, so it's less common than the R65 but the same, really. My mom had one of these motorcycles back in the 80's (she and my dad both rode- it's pretty amazing to think that knowing them now) and absolutely loved it, and she's recently found one for sale ($3000 for a very good condition one w/only 22k miles-over the internet) and is seriously considering purcha sing it- not only for her but as a "family bike". Of course, I'm supporting this because I could get my motorcycle license in a year, and for a 15 year old that idea is pretty damn cool.

Anyway, I'm wondering if our THR resident bike experts have anything about this and BMWs in general... any imformation of interest. Anything to consider when buying such an item over the internet (we'd plan to pick it up a few states over)?

Thanks

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
BMW R65LS
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »
i don't know much about the 65, but bmw's are in general very reliable

cfabe

• friend
BMW R65LS
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 05:45:20 PM »
No offense combat, but I don't think any 15/16 year old should be on the road in a motorcycle. You need a few years of driving to get the feel of the road so you know instinctively how to be a defensive driver.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
BMW R65LS
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:50:35 PM »
Und you vill remember: Zere ist no surgink in zis vine Churman motorzykle! Tongue Cheesy

- NF
1995 R1100R "Horse"
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

HForrest

BMW R65LS
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »
Ok, I should have known it would go over like that... bad idea for me to post that. And, no offense blackburn, but being only 3 years older than me I'm not sure you're really in the position to tell me riding is dangerous because of my age.

I understand why it is a bad idea. All I can really say is that I am quite mature for my age, and can be responsible.

HForrest

BMW R65LS
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:51:52 PM »
15+3=18. And I'm not ignoring the advice, I would be driving before riding.

cfabe

• friend
BMW R65LS
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 03:24:18 AM »
Quote from: Combat-wombat
Ok, I should have known it would go over like that...
Maybe there's a reason for that?

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
BMW R65LS
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 03:53:52 AM »
CW,

Well, here's maybe a bit of sunshine for your rainy parade.

I'd suggest getting into dirt biking on a closed course first. Dirt skills will radically improve your street skills in ugly situations.

Professional training will help too, and it'll be fun if you can get a good instructor. (I wish I could find a dirt school where I could rent the bike and where a chronologically-enabled guy wouldn't look outta place!)

Do it now, while your bones are flexible and you heal fast! Cheesy

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

DrAmazon

• friend
BMW R65LS
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 05:43:53 AM »
While I agree with the posts about driving experience and the coordination necessary to ride a bike, I wish I would have learned to ride when I was younger and more fearless.  I learned to ride last year, at age 33, and I'm still working on riding a little less like an old lady.

Dirt biking is a great idea.  When I took my MSF course (twice, long story) I was so jealous of the people who had dirtbiked as kids and had the basics down.  I was struggling to remember what the clutch was for and not looking down.

Wear the gear.  Fortunately, you're looking at a BMW, and in our community the gear is cool.  I ride in helmet, Kevlar jacket, boots, gloves, and either jeans or my kevlar pants. I also wear a geeky bright yellow vest.  It's saved me a couple of times in parking lots.

DrAmazon
2003 BMW F650CS
Experiment with a chemist!