Author Topic: Can Ron Paul get Elected?  (Read 33632 times)

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Can Ron Paul get Elected?
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2007, 08:04:50 AM »
they still want to force their values on others

The way human society works, there is always a dominant system of values, which reflects itself in laws and customs. The lack of values is not a value, and therefore is quickly displaced by any value. The only way to de-value the system is to do away with laws and customs, which ultimately means doing away with society itself. That's one of the chief reasons Libertarianism is impracticable. What is practicable is a small-gov self-reliant family-centric conservatism strengthened by common goals and cultural heritage. Interestingly, it functionally achieves most of what Libertarianism advertises but cannot deliver.

v35

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
No. I'm voting for him anyway.
Of course the reality is he won't get the republican nomination, will you be taking the appropriate measures to be sure a write in vote for ron paul gets counted in your election area? 

I highly doubt Paul will emerge the Republican nominee. I expect he'll eventually run as an independent.

Regarding my Lincoln comments, well, mea culpa. I conveniently forgot some of his actions, taken in desperation to preserve the Union. As most desperate acts they were indefensible. If he had lived perhaps he would have had to answer for them, and my image of him might not have been so rosy. I stand behind my assertion that his was a superior mind, though.

While I'm on the subject of Lincoln, I'd point out an unfortunate fact: any government, including ours, will simply ignore the Constitution when the inconvenience of law threatens its existence. Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus is but one reprehensible example. Acts of war not authorized by Congress are another that have become commonplace, and as unjust. I don't see any of the Democrat or Republican front runners take a position against such illegal acts. Ron Paul has, and his voting record shows he would continue to do so.

Congress is bleeding us to death. This hasn't been much of a problem in the few recent decades they've been doing it, but now it's only a matter of time before it seriously starts to affect you and me. The effects may not be immediately obvious, but $100 oil is a symptom of a cancer that must be excised for the US to survive. The cancer is runaway inflation that threatens our sovereignty. Ron Paul asked Fed chairman Ben Bernanke about this today, which I heard broadcast live on the radio. Bernanke's comments indicated he hasn't a clue how to solve the problem, and fairly danced about an answer:

Quote from: Ben Bernanke
If somebody has their wealth in dollars and they’re going to buy consumer goods in dollars, then as a typical American … then the decline in the dollar – the only effect it has on their buying power is that it makes imported goods more expensive.

I could almost hear him squirm. Imported goods, like, everything we buy, Mr. Chairman? Bernanke attempted to dodge the question about rapidly devaluing US currency by answering it in the context of a local economy. Sorry, but as my daugher would say that's so 20th century. I'm not the only one who started to sweat -- "panic" is how Barron's described the market reaction to his comments today, before traders apparently swallowed a Prozac and decided to panic another day. Get used to it - more pain is on the way. I can't blame Bernanke though, it's not his fault that Congress is spending us into oblivion. All he can do is attempt to prop up a very sick economy, as the Fed did last week by adding another $41 billion of liquidity into the hundreds of billions added since the credit markets collapsed. This is the largest infusion of cash since 9/11. Folks, this is money taken directly from your pocket, your investments, your retirement, your estate. You just don't know it yet.

Ron Paul gets it. Unfortunately no one else on the Joint Economic Committee seemed to have a clue. Such luminaries as Chuck Schumer were probably trying not to yawn, while another (Loretta Sanchez?) seemed intent on placing blame. Ron Paul understands the problem, which is the first step toward solving it. There is a looming economic crisis on the horizon that no one - absolutely no one - in government would like to admit. They certainly don't want you to know. All they're hoping for is to drop the mess into someone's lap before it blows up, as it surely will, sooner or later.

Has Rudy spoken on this topic? No but I'm sure he'd sound all Presidential if he did. Romney? Checking with his lawyers. Clinton? Waiting for the poll results. Obama? Too busy getting buff for the next photo op. Fred? Hello??

Sure, Ron Paul has some wacky ideas. He wants to abolish the IRS. The US existed for about 130 years before the IRS, and it can again. He wants to get out of Iraq. Who doesn't? It can't be done overnight even if he wanted. I doubt he can accomplish half of what his stated objectives are, but so what? We're only talking about a President, not a monarch. What I expect him to do is what the job is supposed to entail: preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. I am confident Ron Paul would do exactly that. I am less confident about the others, no matter how "presidential" they appear to be.

Much as we'd like to think so, Americans are no different from any other human beings in other societies who have faced economic destruction. There's nothing genetically different about us. All of us will walk, sheep-like, to the slaughter, as your Constitution is suspended for the common good. All you have to do is stand by and let it happen. Preventing this unacceptable outcome will take action. Someone needs to act.

Having said that I also agree there's no way RP can get elected, and here's why:

• Some people think.
  • Other people think they think.
  • Most people would rather die than think.

This last category is the one that decides elections.

Yes, I believe Ron Paul is the thinking man's candidate. Which is exactly why he won't get elected.

oldfart

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
I've always held that a major reason divorces are so bitterly contested is because no one wants to admit a mistake, thus each party claims the other is at fault.  Now most states have "no fault" divorce so it's made the process a bit more civilized.
But people still have that unholy fear of being wrong and then having to admit it to the world.  So those who are so fervently bashing Ron Paul now will - if he does get the nomination - either sit out the election or just not vote for President.  Of course that course of action might strengthen the Democratic chances.  But those who would do it claim they have no choice even though they tell us (those of us who support Ron Paul) that our stance will ensure a Hillary victory.
I will vote for Paul if he is on the ballot.  He will most likely be on the primary ballot so my choice will be a simple one.  I believe TPTB (networks, industrialists, etc.) will not allow him to be nominated as the Republican candidate so when the general election comes around I will have a much more difficult choice.  Once again, as I have done twelve times already, I will hold my nose and vote for the candidate I feel will do the least damage.  There are some I know I will not vote for:  Hillary, Obama, Guliani, Romney, McCain and Brownback all fall into that group.  There are still a few Republicans that I might be able to support though some of them are already busily shooting themselves in the foot.
What is this world coming to when we measure our successes in negatives?

Paddy

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2007, 06:24:13 PM »
oldfart: Please learn to use paragraphs.  thank you.

oldfart

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
Rileymc:  I believe I did.  Let's see.

I've always held that a major reason divorces are so bitterly contested is because no one wants to admit a mistake, thus each party claims the other is at fault.  Now most states have "no fault" divorce so it's made the process a bit more civilized.
(There's #1)
But people still have that unholy fear of being wrong and then having to admit it to the world.  So those who are so fervently bashing Ron Paul now will - if he does get the nomination - either sit out the election or just not vote for President.  Of course that course of action might strengthen the Democratic chances.  But those who would do it claim they have no choice even though they tell us (those of us who support Ron Paul) that our stance will ensure a Hillary victory.
(And here's #2)
I will vote for Paul if he is on the ballot.  He will most likely be on the primary ballot so my choice will be a simple one.  I believe TPTB (networks, industrialists, etc.) will not allow him to be nominated as the Republican candidate so when the general election comes around I will have a much more difficult choice.  Once again, as I have done twelve times already, I will hold my nose and vote for the candidate I feel will do the least damage.  There are some I know I will not vote for:  Hillary, Obama, Guliani, Romney, McCain and Brownback all fall into that group.  There are still a few Republicans that I might be able to support though some of them are already busily shooting themselves in the foot.
(I believe this is #3)
What is this world coming to when we measure our successes in negatives?
 (#4)

Ok?

Paddy

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »
Ok?

No.

Not Ok.

You hit 'space' after each paragraph.

Ok?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2007, 08:50:01 PM »
There should be a space or an indentation, yes.  The indent is the older style, which might be more suitable to your screen-name, old one.  If you want people to read your rants, that is.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

oldfart

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »
I guess I should consider myself fortunate that all you can find to take issue with is my punctuation.  It won't happen again.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
I think it is unlikely that he gets the nomination, but he could affect the future direction of the country. If either party perceives there is a threat to their power because they are so far off the path most Americans want, it could well cause one or both parties to change directions in some way.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2007, 09:08:48 PM »
If Ron Paul doesnt get the nomination I will vote for anybody other than a Republican.  I personally would like to see Kucinich as the Democrat nominee.  I think he is better than the rest of the democrats.  If Thompson, McCain, Romney, or Guiliani gets the nomination I will campaign for the LP against them.  And if the LP doesnt put anyone on the ballot I will vote Green.

Anybody but a neo-con in 2008. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2007, 02:26:40 AM »
Hehehe, you really mean "I saw a UFO" Kucinich?  cheesy

DBabsJr

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2007, 05:02:46 AM »
I kind of think that if he keeps talking about opening the government and shining light on the things that the CIA has done over the last 50 years he has very little chance of staying alive especially if he gets close to being nominated and/or elected.

See the end of this video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSvobOHNDVc and the beginning of this video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=wVxRArH6vQw for examples of him speaking about the CIA.  He also spoke about this yesterday at a rally in Philadelphia.  From the video, speaking of secret CIA activity:
I think all of that stuff should be either stopped or absolutely open.

These videos are number 4 & 5 from an interview in New Hampshire on 11/7.  The beginning video is at  - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hx2vLUMmSiA

Matt King

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
If Ron Paul doesnt get the nomination I will vote for anybody other than a Republican.  I personally would like to see Kucinich as the Democrat nominee.  I think he is better than the rest of the democrats.  If Thompson, McCain, Romney, or Guiliani gets the nomination I will campaign for the LP against them.  And if the LP doesnt put anyone on the ballot I will vote Green.

Anybody but a neo-con in 2008. 

Why Kucinich? Isn't this the same guy that proposed a bill banning handguns?

See Paragraph #8
http://blog.cleveland.com/openers/2007/04/kucinich_packed_heat_after_197.html

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »
Why Kucinich?  Mind whence comes the recommendation. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2007, 06:00:21 AM »
Why Kucinich?  Mind whence comes the recommendation. 

He could use his fleet of UFOs to make all the icky warlike people in the world behave.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
I liken Ron Paul to Everclear.

It's pure, no-nonsense, and it'll strengthen anything its added to.

But drink it straight and it'll probably kill you--or make you wish it had.

I'll add my one vote for Paul in the primaries, but I do so knowing he hasn't a chance of getting the nomination.  I want the Republicans to notice how many of us are discontented with their politics of late.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.