Author Topic: Can Ron Paul get Elected?  (Read 33709 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Can Ron Paul get Elected?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2007, 05:00:21 PM »
If by tomorrow morning this doesn't veer a little closer to the actual subject, I'm going to close it.

HINT HINT
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2007, 07:13:38 PM »
In an effort to drive this derailed thread back on course, something interesting is happening. Ron Paul is actually getting MSM attention now that he raised over 5 million in the 3rd quarter. And this was not from $2,000 a plate dinners like the Rudy McRomney camps.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2007, 07:35:50 PM »
If I was running the DNC, and Ron Paul miraculously comes up with the Republican nomination... What would I do?

I'd do a Hillary speaking tour, accompanied by every previous American Idol contestant I could dig up....

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »
No.  Ron Paul cannot get elected.  He cannot even get nominated by any political party of any national prominence.  Ron Paul is a conversation piece, that's all.  Much like a book on your coffee table.

brer

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2007, 02:18:10 AM »
Ron's odds of getting elected are getting better and better.

Vegas just changed his odds from 8-1 to 6-1, from an original 20-1.

His ability to raise money has gone up in stark contrast to most of his opponents in the GOP's  which have gone down.

I do not think he is a shoe in.  But he is running a strong campaign.  If he keeps up with what he is doing his odds are going to do nothing but get better.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
He hasn't a prayer, (in response to the topic)

Merle Haggard put it best: " Now we're rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell..."

He'll be the Ross Perot that ushers in yet another Klinton Presidency

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
snicker...

Here's a rant from a local paper from someone who is a Ron Paul disciple. And they wonder why we say his followers are freaking NUTS?  cheesy

September 11th was manufactured by the U.S. government. Did you know that some of the supposed named terrorists that were said to be flying the planes are still alive? Did you know that no evidence of a plane ever having crashed into the Pentagon or in Pennsylvania was ever found? Did you know that the WTC buildings 1 and 2 were bombed before they started collapsing? Building 7 collapsed as well, and no planes ever crashed into it, and this event was mysteriously missing from the 911 report. Why did Bush refuse to appear alone before the 911 commission? I encourage you to verify all of these facts for yourself, and realize, like I eventually did one sad, sad day, that the there are some very powerful, corrupt people in the U.S. government, and they are the men behind the curtain pulling the strings for all of us puppets.
- Jaime, Baltimore, Maryland

Len Budney

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »
snicker...

Here's a rant from a local paper from someone who is a Ron Paul disciple. And they wonder why we say his followers are freaking NUTS?  cheesy

Your quote doesn't mention RP once. How do you know the writer is a "Ron Paul disciple"? RP is not a 9/11 truther, but it looks as if you might be trying to make that insinuation without evidence.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »
Fine, Len, since someone doubted your Holy Political Messiah without a citation, here ya go.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=337db256-d684-4098-a896-7bc5fe6123b2

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Crazy people support Paul, and the KKK endorsed Bush.

The loonies have to vote for _somebody_ Cheesy

Len Budney

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2007, 10:53:40 AM »
Fine, Len, since someone doubted your Holy Political Messiah without a citation, here ya go.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=337db256-d684-4098-a896-7bc5fe6123b2

That's better. So he really is a Ron Paul supporter. That doesn't make Ron Paul, or anyone else, a 9/11 truther, however. Nor would I call RP "my holy political messiah." One, only God is holy. Two, "political messiah" is as oxymoronic as "satanic messiah." Three, I like RP's positions, but if he turns out to be a neonazi who sodomizes puppies, it won't affect me any: his positions will still be right; and if he's a scoundrel, he's a scoundrel. I don't worship humans or participate in cults, thank you.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
He'll be the Ross Perot that ushers in yet another Klinton Presidency

Right, because the Bush presidency is so much better. Atleast we had Habeus Corpus under Clinton.

And Manedwolf, in my experience following Ron Paul, I bet you he is looking at packed house with standing room only.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
Can RP get elected? Nope. Why, you ask? Two reasons. Most Americans don't want what he's offering, and even if they did the people on the electoral college don't.

I read an article by Dan Savage the militant gay sex advice columnist about Ron Paul's surprising level of support among liberal types. It seems a lot of people are so against the war they hear "He wants to pull out right away" and cut him a check.

You gotta realize, we're the minority. Joe sixpack doesn't think you should have machine guns etc. Not to mention that RP is basically telling large segments of the voting public "Elect me and I'll either get you fired (.gov employees) when I get rid of your agency or I'll stop sending you money." Are those good things? Sure. Will the many people who receive that money vote to stop getting it? Nope.

And the far right sort who might be tempted to vote for him because of the libertarian type stuff are largely turned off by the foreign policy rhetoric that endears him to liberals and moderates.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »
And Manedwolf, in my experience following Ron Paul, I bet you he is looking at packed house with standing room only.

Following. Key word says more than you know.

It HAS become a cult.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
It HAS become a cult.

Please, go on. Do elaborate on how you think Ron Paul supporters are apart of a cult. Would you think the same about supporters of Romney or Ghouliani if they had the same enthusiasm about their campaign?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:51 PM »
Again if RP does not get the not, I will vote democrat just to punish the republicans for not keeping him in check.

Yet Ron Paul's stance on the issues reads like a Religious Right wish list.  He's anti-abortion, opposed to homosexual marriage, and stands for all the low-tax, small-government issues I mentioned earlier.  The only real difference is that he usually wants to do things at the state rather than national level.  And most religious conservatives would accept that.  As a Religious Rightarian, I've never seen a politician who's domestic program I am more in love with.

My father is an anti-Iraq-war Religious Rightist who has supported everyone from Pat Buchanan to Alan Keyes to John McCain to the Constitution Party, and even voted for Bush in 2000.  He is now in the Ron Paul camp.  I would be there, too, but for my total disagreement with his foreign policy.  And the Religious Right is by no means united on the issue of the Iraq war.  There are plenty of them, like my father, who oppose it.  But in any case, it is not a religious issue, nor is it one that the RR talks about much. 

You've got me really intrigued that you consider Ron Paul conservative or libertarian enough to get your vote, yet you say the RR are not conservatives because they favor "passing laws to enforce religiously based moral stances or policy that effectively brings the government back into their lives."  I assume you're talking about issues like abortion and homosexual marriage.  What makes Paul's opposition to these things so much less theocratic than mine? 

Fistful, Sorry to disappoint you, I do have my bonafides as a conservative, but I have some serious doubts about yours.

I don't recall questioning your own personal conservatism.  I pointed out that you have a poor understanding of the various "conservative" groups, such as neo-cons, the Religious Right, etc.  And now you think that Lyndon LaRaouche represents some great reservoir of Democratic conservatives?   shocked  You are very confused.  You could at least acknowledge that you were wrong about what neo-cons are. 

Quote from Fistful
To ditch them, or their more controversial planks, would alienate many non-religious people and make the Republican Party safe for big-government moderates like Bush.

Sorry to bring this to your awareness, but the religious right were the ones responsible for getting Bush elected in the first place.  I remember the campaign very well back, in 2, towards the end, they were both trying to outpious each other.  They still have not realized their mistake considering most of the front running GOP candidates for presidency are also big government moderates.

I was talking about intra-party politics.  In terms of the Presidential election, you can hardly say that the RR are less conservative because they voted against Al Gore.  You could claim that if they were more conservative, they would have voted third-party, but then you'd be confusing political ideology with practical politics.  The fact that most of the religious right voted for a main-party candidate doesn't make them non-conservative.  It simply means that most of us, like most Americans, vote against a bad candidate who may actually win (Gore), rather than voting for a dream candidate who will certainly lose. 

Or are you saying that the Religious Right chose George Bush over that noted libertarian, John McCain, or some other primary candidate that might have won?  Let's say they had thrown their support behind McCain.  Is he more of a Goldwater disciple than Bush?  Or do you think that the RR had enough pull to nominate someone like Ron Paul?  I don't think they did.  And if they could have, would he have won it for us, or just led to eight more years of Clinton - I mean Gore? 

brer, I don't know how much the RR had to do with choosing Bush in the primary.  But I do hope that, if you're going to wade in these waters of discussion, you at least know that Bush, like Clinton, campaigned toward the right in order to win the presidential election.  That had as much to do with courting religious conservatives as with any other kind. 

You are apparently not aware of how the Bush Administration has alienated the Religious Right in any number of ways.  By averring that Christians and Muslims worship the same god, by being the first president to fund embryonic stem cell research, by calling Islam "a religion of peace," and on and on. 

Quote from Fistful
In areas other than social or religious issues, the religious right also tend, in my judgment, to be just as "true conservative" as non-religious conservatives.  Religious conservatives are just as likely to favor lower taxes, liberalized gun laws, border enforcement, etc. and to oppose the Kyoto treaty, the U.N., the welfare state, etc.

Considering the many conservative democrats that vote for these things that are not part of the religious right that also vote that way, it really does not prove much.

What did you think I was trying to prove?  I'm not sure what democrats have to do with the discussion.  I was talking about the Goldwater-conservative views held by the majority of the religious right.  Whether or not they are your kind of conservative, they make the Republican Party more conservative, not less.  I'm addressing the notion that "losing the religious right" will somehow attract hordes of secular conservatives and libertarians that will help the Republican party to win.  In fact, the opposite is true.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brer

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »
Fistful

He has his personal religious beliefs. He is a religious man.

But he tends to vote no on almost everything unless it is a law concerning a constitutional role of the federal government.  He does not vote based on his religious values and his record shows this. this is what makes him different from most of the RR.

As far as abortion and a lot of the other issues go, he believes they are state issues, not federal.

This is what is refreshing about him.  Every other candidate likes to talk about how they will make new laws to fix problems.  RP's overall philosophy is that most of the problems that the fed tries to fix are either problems the feds caused in the first place or not the feds problem.

Fistful

You did question my personal conservatism.  My response was a direct response to yours. I used pretty much the same words you used.  The definition of conservatism has changed a lot in the past 45 years, it has changed even more in the last 20.  I already stated in my first post in this thread I was a Goldwater conservative. If you do not understand that Goldwater was a conservative as you denied in an earlier post, there is no further point arguing with you.

Back onto main thread

Ron Paul is electable.  His odds are getting better all the time.  He now has money to buy air time which should see his popularity explode.  Once his message gets out to everyone, he will likely do nothing but get more popular.

His transparent campaign finances are also a bonus.  He is beholden to no one but the people trying to elect him.  No favors owed, no Halliburton sitting in the back room with orders.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2007, 05:13:11 AM »
tmg19103
I will say this. With over 70% of the country against the Iraq War, IMHO, Ron Paul is the only Republican with a chance to beat Hillary. Ron Paul voted against the war from the start, while also voting against the Patriot Act and the Real ID Act. Hillary voted for all those - including increased funds for the war. She will no doubt get the Democratic nomination, and a pro-war Republican has no chance against her.
A very accurate assessment. Very troubling is hearing some people I see from time to time (locally) who I would have thought knew better saying things to the effect that they might vote for Hillary Clinton. More troubling than Hillary Clinton though is another of her fraternal oligarchy friends wearing another "republican" suit.

Ron Paul is very, very unlikely to get the Republican party nomination - unless their is a radical power change within the party leadership. Equally unlikely to happen.

Ron Paul is our last chance to get our country back at the executive level. Win or lose he has my vote and support.

----------------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2007, 01:15:41 PM »
Fistful

You did question my personal conservatism....If you do not understand that Goldwater was a conservative as you denied in an earlier post, there is no further point arguing with you. 

brer, I never said those things.  I think you are a conservative.  I think Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater are/were conservatives.  I never said otherwise.  But if you can't understand my very clear statements, then maybe we can't really carry on a discussion.

But can you clarify something for me?  Goldwater is your gold standard for conservative ideology and so far as I can tell, he believed abortion should be legal.  You would vote for Ron Paul, yet, to me, he seems very much anti-abortion.  You say that he doesn't base his politics on his religious beliefs, which you accuse the Religious Right of doing.  Yet the only difference, on abortion, seems to be that Paul is reluctant to address such issues at the national level. 

Why does Ron Paul get a pass for straying from the Goldwater line? 

Is this state/national issue the only thing that, in your view, separates Paul from the Religious Right? 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
fistful:

Heck, it depends on which Goldwater brer is modeling himself after.  Old Gold was pro-life.  New Gold was pro-abortion.  There were several other issues Goldwater flip-flopped on in his later years.

Many somewhat deceptive libertarian-types call themselves, "Goldwater Conservatives," while referring to the post-Senate AuH2O.  Most folks understand Goldwater conservatism as that he espoused during his run for POTUS.

Truthfully, I don't think you can have a fruitful discussion with brer, due to his--ah--confusion on the various strains of conservatism over the years. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

tmg19103

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »
Well, per the press Ron Paul has gone from "no chance" to "longshot" to "dark horse". He more than doubled his fundraising the 3rd quarter while Romney, McCain and Giuliani were down 29-55% in fundraising. He still has a ways to go, but if he doubles fundraising again 4th quarter, he will be someone to be reckoned with. Also, the fact that the active military gives him more money than any other GOP candidate says something. It's easy for someone sitting on their couch to say we have to fight in the Middle East, but when those who actually have to risk their lives and fight in the Middle East give more money to anti-war Ron Paul than pro-war types like Giuliani and McCain, it says something - and it's something I think we should listen to and try and understand. When American soldiers fighting in the Middle East want out, and when 70% of the American public wants out, perhaps Ron Paul is striking a cord - and perhaps this message could possibly give him some good traction against the other GOP candidates as they are all pro-war... and per the below YouTube it appears it aleady has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCiCBjhNR78

tmg19103

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2007, 05:45:10 PM »
Ron Paul is very clear on the abortion issue. He is personally pro-life, both from a personal religious viewpoint and from a legal viewpoint - he has stated that as a doctor, he can be held legally responsible if he harms a fetus and that a person can be charged with double murder for killing a pregnant woman. Dr. Paul has delivered over 4,000 babies and never considered performing an abortion and never has. He is 100% pro-life.

He is also on record as saying Roe v. Wade should be overturned, but not based on his personal beliefs, but because it is unconstitutional. Ron Paul strictly follows the constitution (which is rather refreshing, IMHO), and any authority that is not expressly granted to the federal government by the U.S. Constitution is by default granted to the states.

Thus, Ron Paul believes Roe v. Wade should be overturned and that each state should decide on the abortion issue, and as president he would have no authority over this issue. This is one general reason I like Ron Paul. He is for returning to constitutional principles and having the president act within his authority - not as some king or dictator.

As for straying from the "Goldwater line", Ron Paul has been compared by others to Goldwater, Sen. Taft and Reagan in his political leanings, but he is his own man and has never stated he 100% follows the doctrines of these individuals, but rather that our country needs to return to the general values that these great men preached.

Fistful

You did question my personal conservatism....If you do not understand that Goldwater was a conservative as you denied in an earlier post, there is no further point arguing with you. 

brer, I never said those things.  I think you are a conservative.  I think Ron Paul and Barry Goldwater are/were conservatives.  I never said otherwise.  But if you can't understand my very clear statements, then maybe we can't really carry on a discussion.

But can you clarify something for me?  Goldwater is your gold standard for conservative ideology and so far as I can tell, he believed abortion should be legal.  You would vote for Ron Paul, yet, to me, he seems very much anti-abortion.  You say that he doesn't base his politics on his religious beliefs, which you accuse the Religious Right of doing.  Yet the only difference, on abortion, seems to be that Paul is reluctant to address such issues at the national level. 

Why does Ron Paul get a pass for straying from the Goldwater line? 

Is this state/national issue the only thing that, in your view, separates Paul from the Religious Right? 

brer

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
Fistful

The constitution defines some very narrow duties for the federal government.  Anything outside of that scope  is not within the constitutional scope of the federal government.

Ron Paul votes based whether or not the law he is voting on is within the federal governments constitutional duties.

He is pro life.  Since it was never in the federal governments powers under the constitution to control abortion, he will never vote for abortion control on a federal level.

Goldwater's views were similar.

Jfruser

You would rather have a candidate whose views never change over the course of a long life?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »
brer and tmg,

Both of you missed my point, so I guess I'll give up.  I am well aware of Paul's stance on abortion and the narrow scope the Constitution grants to the national government.  I agree with Paul on both counts. 

As jfruser points out, I probably did misjudge Goldwater's stance on abortion, as he apparently was anti-abortion in his earlier years and pro-abortion later on.  But I will point out again that Goldwater was not an infallible guide to conservative thought.  He was only a man. 

If you need an infallible guide to conservatism, I am available for a modest fee.   laugh