Author Topic: My First Bike  (Read 7530 times)

...has left the building.

My First Bike
« on: June 26, 2005, 12:32:58 PM »
I FINALLY picked up my first motorcycle this weekend. After long deliberation, I ended up buying a Kawasaki Ninja 250. I've been riding it around my subdivision all day and it is very easy to ride. I won't be taking it on the road until I get my insurance and motorcycle learner's permit. Of course I got all of my safety gear and I'll be taking an ABATE class late next month. Cheesy

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25844

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25845

Schuey2002

• friend
My First Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
Schweeeeeeeeeeeetness!!  

Me likey the color combo too.. cool

InfidelSerf

• friend
My First Bike
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:29:31 PM »
Congrats Daniel
That's a good choice for a first bike.  
May I also suggest you pick up Keith Code's books A Twist of the Wrist
It may be geared toward teaching a racer to be a better rider. But the principles apply to street riding as well.  That and he discusses street riding tactics.

Keep scanning and keep your eyes open.  No headphones while in the city!  Not as big of a deal on a long ride on highways.  But in town you need to hear/feel all of your surroundings.
I also reccomend ear plugs.  I know that sounds contradictory to no headphones. But wearing ear protection not only protects your hearing for years to come (mandatory if you install an aftermarket pipe) But it cuts out the higher pitch sound of the wind rushing over your helmet.. and actually makes it easier to hear the lower rumble of car engines which helps in the scanning process.

And lastly spend some time in a vacant parking lot perfecting your braking skills before hitting the road.  Most MSF rider course are basic enough to get your license.  But they don't spend enough time on evasive maneuvers and learning to use that front brake.
A good rider uses about 90% front 10% rear.  (Just look at the size difference in brake discs.  Of course most sportbikes have dual front discs)

Keep the rubber side down!
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

My First Bike
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 06:18:57 PM »
Thanks! I had it out on the road for the first time tonight. 45mph on a bike is definitely a different type of sensation. It makes me feel very powerful and yet extremely mortal at the same time.

CatsDieNow

• friend
My First Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:26:19 AM »
Cool!  Watch out for those decreasing radius off-ramps on Union St.

(See, you can have fun zipping about on a baby Ninja!)

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
My First Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:01 AM »
Thats boss, good for you man... now take what you spent on the bike, I buy at least that much in protective gear Smiley

atek3

My First Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 03:22:35 AM »
Thanks! I've already bought about $400 worth of protective gear. And I'll watch out for Union Street's exit; I've ran through that at scary speeds in my M3 but on the bike I'll definitely take my time Smiley

cordex

• Administrator
My First Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »
Congrats, Dan!

Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

Where are you taking the ABATE class?

My First Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »
Thanks Ben! I think I'll be doing it 7/25-7/29. We should go for a ride once I cut my teeth. Smiley