Author Topic: Not All Fireworks Are on Earth This 4th  (Read 2658 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Not All Fireworks Are on Earth This 4th
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:07:55 PM »
FIrst I've heard of this. Looks like at this point no one knows just what to expect, but it sounds kinda neato. I'll be looking if it's visible in my neck of the woods. Smiley

--------------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1894&e=1&u=/ap/20050626/ap_on_sc/comet_buster

Fireworks Likely When NASA Blows Up Comet

By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer2 hours, 38 minutes ago

Not all dazzling fireworks displays will be on Earth this Independence Day. NASA hopes to shoot off its own celestial sparks in an audacious mission that will blast a stadium-sized hole in a comet half the size of Manhattan. It would give astronomers their first peek at the inside of one of these heavenly bodies.

If all goes as planned, the Deep Impact spacecraft will release a wine barrel-sized probe on a suicide journey, hurtling toward the comet Tempel 1  about 80 million miles away from Earth at the time of impact.

"It's a bullet trying to hit a second bullet with a third bullet in the right place at the right time," said Rick Grammier, project manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

Scientists hope the July 4 collision will gouge a crater in the comet's surface large enough to reveal its pristine core and perhaps yield cosmic clues to the origin of the solar system.

NASA's fleet of space-based observatories  including the Hubble, Spitzer and Chandra telescopes  along with an army of ground-based telescopes around the world are expected to record the impact and resulting crater.

The big question is: What kind of fireworks can sky-gazers expect to see from Earth?

Scientists do not know yet. But if the probe hits the bull's-eye, the impact could temporarily light up the comet as much as 40 times brighter than normal, possibly making it visible to the naked eye in parts of the Western Hemisphere.

"We're getting closer by the minute," Andrew Dantzler, the director of NASA's solar system division, said earlier this month. "I'm looking forward to a great encounter on the Fourth of July."

If the $333 million mission is successful, Deep Impact will be the first spacecraft to touch the surface of a comet. In 2004, NASA's Stardust craft flew within 147 miles of Comet Wild 2 on its way back to Earth carrying interstellar dust samples.

Scientists say Deep Impact has real science value that will hopefully answer basic questions about the solar system's birth.

Comets  frozen balls of dirty ice, rocks and dust  are leftover building blocks of the solar system after a cloud of gas and dust condensed to form the sun and planets 4 1/2 billion years ago. As comets arc around the sun, their surfaces heat up so that only their frozen interiors possess original space material.

Very little is known about comets and even less is known about their primordial cores. What exactly will happen when Tempel 1 is hit on the Fourth of July is anybody's guess. Scientists believe that the impact will form a circular depression that will eject a cone-shaped plume of debris into space.

But not to worry. NASA guarantees that its experiment will not significantly change the comet's orbit nor will the smash-up put the comet or any remnants of it on a collision course with Earth.

Discovered in 1867, Tempel 1 is a short-period comet, meaning that it moves around the sun in an elliptical orbit between Mars and Jupiter and can be sighted every six or so years.

The Deep Impact spacecraft shares the same name as a 1998 Hollywood disaster movie about a comet headed straight for Earth. NASA says that the names for the space mission and blockbuster movie were arrived at independently around the same time and by pure coincidence.

The spacecraft blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Fla., in mid-January to make its six-month, 268 million-mile voyage. In March, scientists got a scare when test images from one of Deep Impact's telescopes were slightly out of focus. The problem was fixed, and a month later, Deep Impact took its first picture of Tempel 1 from 40 million miles away, revealing a big snowball of dirty ice and rock. Last week, scientists processed the first images of the comet's bright core taken from 20 million miles away, which should help the probe zero in on its target.

The real action starts in the early morning of July 3 (Eastern time) when the spacecraft separates, releasing an 820-pound copper probe called the "impactor" on a one-way trip straight into the path of the comet. During the next 22 hours, mission control at Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena will steer both craft toward Tempel 1.

Two hours before the July 4 encounter, the impactor kicks into autopilot, relying on its self-navigating software and thrusters for the rest of the journey to steer toward the sunlit part of the comet's nucleus so that space and Earth-based telescopes can get the best view.

Meanwhile, the spacecraft  with its high-resolution camera ready  will veer out of harm's way some 5,000 miles away, as it stakes out a ringside seat for recording the collision. The spacecraft will make its closest flyby minutes after impact, approaching within 310 miles.

The collision is expected to occur around 1:52 a.m. EDT when the comet, traveling through space at 6 miles per second, runs over the impactor, which will be shooting some of the most close-up pictures of Tempel 1 up until its death.

Grammier has likened it to standing in the middle of the road and being hit by a semi-truck going 23,000 mph  "you know, just bam!" The energy produced by the crash will be like detonating nearly 5 tons of TNT.

The high-speed collision is expected to excavate a crater that can range anywhere from the size of a house to a football stadium, and from two to 14 stories deep. A spew of ice and dust debris will likely shoot out from the newly formed hole, possibly revealing a glimpse of the comet's core.

Scientists say if the comet is porous like a sponge, the impact should produce a stadium-sized crater about 150 feet deep and 650 feet wide. This suggests that the comet's inside holds some of the pristine material of the early solar system.

But if the comet is packed like a snowball, the crater formed would be much smaller. Another scenario is that the comet is so porous that most of the impactor's energy is absorbed, creating an even smaller but deep crater.

The mothership has less than 15 minutes to snap images from the cosmic collision and resulting crater before it's bombarded with a blizzard of debris. Scientists expect to receive near real-time data from the impactor and spacecraft.

"We get one chance," said Michael A'Hearn, a professor of astronomy at the University of Maryland and Deep Impact principal investigator.

___

On the Net:

Deep Impact page: http://www.nasa.gov/deepimpact
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
Ok, so somebody had to ask...

What kind of rig do you need to conceal one of those things?

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:06:50 AM »
Even better.

Now we can put an end to that debate of "what caliber for a comet?"
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:32:02 AM »
I work for a company that has a chunk of the science work on this project. Last year I interviewed one of the scientists for an article for our employee newsletter. Pretty darned interesting.

If you want to see some really neat stuff, be sure to visit the Deep Impact page.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:37:48 AM »
>>"If the $333 million mission is successful"<<

$333 million? What a bargain! Where can I pick up one of these $333 million dollar bullets? Does Wally World have them in stock?

:/

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
Am I the only person on here wondering why we are spending $333 Million on this mission when there are all kinds of things that could be bought that is needed?  Such as spend the money on our military so that they do not have to live in poverty.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 02:05:18 PM »
Where are the Comet Huggers who should be out protesting this devastation of nature Huh?

Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
"Am I the only person on here wondering why we are spending $333 Million on this mission when there are all kinds of things that could be bought that is needed?  Such as spend the money on our military so that they do not have to live in poverty."

No, I'm not wondering why we're spending $333 million on this project. Not when NASA's 2005 budget was $16.2 billion, and the Pentagon's budget was over 25 times greater.

I can't find raw numbers on how many military personnel live in poverty. I'd be interested in seeing actual figures, but I suspect that it isn't all that many given the other benefits and allowances that many in the military receive.

But, like many military projects, many NASA projects have also had dramatic influences on our society, from telecommunications to computers.

If the Pentagon really needs an additional $333 million, maybe they can cut back on the entertainment allowances granted to general officers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:09:42 PM »
Am I the only person on here wondering why we are spending $333 Million on this mission when there are all kinds of things that could be bought that is needed?
Nope, although to be fair, $333,000,000.00 is chump change in comparison to the so-called "foreign aid" we hand out to third world dictators.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »
I can't find raw numbers on how many military personnel live in poverty. I'd be interested in seeing actual figures, but I suspect that it isn't all that many given the other benefits and allowances that many in the military receive.
IMO, it is going to be seriously difficult to come up with a real number there.  An E-1 pulling down less than $14k/yr is (I think) below the arbitrary poverty line, but a solid roof overhead, clean sheets, 3 hot meals a day, and total medical coverage pretty much knocks you out of the running for "impoverished."  Obviously deployment to a forward area changes that up to some degree, but you get the idea.

I'm not saying that soldiers have it real good or anything, and I fully support military pay raises, just wanted to put that bit in perspective.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 04:56:25 PM »
My point exactly, Azrael. The "X American soldiers live below the povery line!" makes me really wonder if the non-monetary factors are taken into consideration.

My first professional job out of college had me right at the poverty line, and I was paying rent, medical, utilities, food, and a car. I, too, support military raises more than I support a lot of other things, but a manner of perspective has to be sought and maintained.

AH! Here we go... http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/moneymatters/a/foodstamps.htm

"A survey conducted in 1999, showed that about 6,300 military families were on food stamps. That was a dramatic drop from the 12,000 who received aid in 1995 and represents less than 1 percent of the 1.4 million men and women in uniform. Eligibility is determined by household size and combined income."

I've no clue how benefits work for military members with dependent family members, but I suspect an enlisted with a couple of dependents is going to be a lot closer to the poverty line than not.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 06:00:06 PM »
Fireworks displays whether celestial or those closer to earth, does no good for those of us who live where it dosen't get dark in the summer.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 03:23:54 AM »
I will give you that the three hots and a cot is not a bad deal.  However when was the last time anyone visited the place some of our soldiers call home.  Living in the barracks is not the greatest thing in the world.  And I would say that there is a number of military families that could get food stamps that don't.  It is a pride thing more than anything else.  
Military pay is broken down on several levels.  I will look for and find all the numbers or a link later where those that are interested can see for themselves.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 05:07:34 AM »
"And I would say that there is a number of military families that could get food stamps that don't.  It is a pride thing more than anything else."

That's no different than in the civilian segment, either.

I won't deny that our soldiers are asked to visit some lovely garden spots (sarcasm), but it remains that they chose to join the military.

The link I posted above gives access to recent military pay charts. It's a pain to get to them, but they're there.

Ah, here we go, after diving down 4 links... http://usmilitary.about.com/od/militarypaycharts/l/bl05enbasepay.htm

It looks like the E-1 base pay, with over 4 months service, is just shy of $15k a year. No, not great, but once again, figure in the fully paid health care, housing allowances (if married), meal allowances, etc.

A good friend of mine lived with her husband (pre kids) when he was enlisted in the Air Force back in the late 1980s. She took a job with the family services group on base (she has a counseling degree) helping families work through a variety of problems. One of the biggest issues many of these families faced was living well beyond their means, not because they had to, but because they wanted the luxury items that their finances just couldn't support.

I saw the same thing while working at Navy Federal Credit Union in the mid to late 1990s. A LOT of our marketing materials weren't marketing at all, they were educational materials for recruits and their families on how to build budgets, how to live within a budget, how to save, really basic stuff. We supplied TONS of these materials to our service centers for distribution to military commands where we were the on base credit union. But so many military personnel still came into the credit and financial counseling programs with serious financial problems caused by living beyond their means. Not just enlisted personnel, either. Quite a few officers were in those programs, as well. I remember one in particular... A mid-career officer (Lt. Commander, IIRC) and his wife were had credit card bills of over $100,000.

Ultimately, no, time in the military isn't a way for anyone to get rich. It does come, however, with significant benefits.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 07:57:51 AM »
I won't deny the fact that the military has a problem with people trying to live beyond there means.  However, society as a whole has the same problem.  I would trade some of the "benefits" for increased base pay.  I also won't deny the fact that some of the "expenses" that are given to the higher ranking officers and NCO's should be cut.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 02:40:06 PM »
Hey, isn't this the way that all those doomsday comet smashing and destroying cities and stuff start out :/

Wayne