Author Topic: How to keep spiders away?  (Read 5993 times)

gbelleh

How to keep spiders away?
« on: June 27, 2005, 05:11:28 PM »
In the last day, I've seen 4 spiders in my house.  What's the best way to keep them out?  Do those ultrasonic repellers really work?  Anything else?

What's the best caliber to use on house spiders?  I'm leaning toward .38 wadcutters...
gbelleh

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 05:30:13 PM »
Get a cat.  Most cats I know view spiders as a FUN TOY!!!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

P95Carry

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:34:31 PM »
12G and #7.5 shot - close range - but plays merry hell with the drywall! Cheesy

Seriously!!  I found a spray can of ''anti-spider'' stuff (forget name) and used it in corners etc where they were seen - seemed to help quite a bit.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

gbelleh

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:35:45 PM »
Yeah, I have a cat.  But she's not interested in bugs unless they fly.  

My previous cat was a great spider hunter.  I used to hit them off the walls and ceilings with rubber bands and she'd wait for them to fall, and go eat them.
gbelleh

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 06:04:41 PM »
Clear shrubs and trees away from your house, that will help.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 06:13:32 PM »
Regular bug spray usually does the job at my house.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

...has left the building.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 06:20:35 PM »
I normally spray with this stuff called Spectracide. It doesn't have any nasty odor and it doesn't seem to be too harsh but it still keeps them away.

onions!

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:49:37 PM »
Get a house gecko.They are a little lizard that'll eat every bug in the house.Prolly keep a cat pretty busy too.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 07:19:39 PM »
Find out what they're eating, and kill that.  You have to actually hit a spider to poison it, and by then, you might as well be using a brick.  

You might also check out a product called Stuff-it.  It's this copper mesh stuff that you jam into weep holes in brick.  It has made quite a difference around here.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 03:53:17 AM »
First go after whatever the spiders are eating.  Otherwise, you'll just have another set of creepy crawlies to deal with.

Newt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 05:10:13 AM »
"Use foggers if you want to kill everything that moves."  --Blackburn

Here's a question.  I thought foggers were mostly for a vacant house/appt.  Can you safely use them in an occupied house.  I ask because I'm starting to see spiders too.  I'm not sure what to do either.  It seems that would be the most effective way to rid myself of them (and anything else too), if it' safe.
Newt

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 05:18:28 AM »
Hedge apples..  Place on the sills in your basement. I never minded spiders in the house, seemed when they were abundent other insects weren't. My last spider bite just healed with the dead core popping out, but this was while I was playing volley ball and accidently upset one when I tried to shoe it off my leg.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »
Foggers will be fine in an occupied house.  You just have to un-occupy it for a few hours.

Big_R

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 08:14:27 AM »
Check this link and look under spiders.  The stuff they sell is really good.  I've used their products on everything from Asain beetles to carpenter ants.  Follow their advice.

Ryan

http://www.bugspray.net/

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 09:41:48 AM »
Fleas are pretty hard to get rid of without a good fogging/fumigating.  Vacuuming the house isn't going to help, either.  You are never going to get them all.  If you're fogging one room at a time, you might as well be spraying water.  You have to nail the whole house, and you have to do it repeatedly.  Most of them are going to be in carpet, but the little buggers can survive anywhere.  Nuke 'em once a week for a month or so, and you'll get rid of them.  It took a whole summer for us to fry all of them in our old house because it never occured to us to nuke the yard, too.  If you have animals that go outside (we had 3 dogs), you need to spray out there, too.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 09:45:01 AM »
Sorry for the hijack, but in regards to fleas-Advantage.
We love it.  I only use a drop from the tube on my little kitty, and the whole tube on the big girl.  Supposed to do it once a month, we use it every six weeks or so.  They also make it for dogs.