Author Topic: Fish-hooks on hat brims  (Read 20030 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« on: June 27, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »
Who started the trend of wearing fish-hooks on the bills of baseball caps?  Did these start out as real fish hooks that were actually used when needed?  

Also, where do babies come from?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Preacherman

Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 09:43:36 PM »
Let me give you a hint - the production of babies seldom, if ever, involves fish-hooks...

Wink
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

DigMe

Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
Let me give you a hint - the production of babies seldom, if ever, involves fish-hooks...

Wink
Pshaw...you clearly haven't "been around."  Tongue

j/k

brad cook

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:04:04 AM »
Simulating the production of babies sometimes involves hookers though...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:08:44 AM »
"Let me give you a hint - the production of babies seldom, if ever, involves fish-hooks..."

Depends on what the various parties are in too...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 07:09:50 AM »
We were wearing the "fish hooks" back as far as middle school that I remember.  That was 1980 or so.  I think Larry the Cable Guy has spawned a resurgence though.

Greg

Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 07:49:38 AM »
<>

I know this one!

It is to identify gullible persons that use fishing equipment.

L-o-n-g time ago the makers of fishing equipment noted there were two types of folks : Those that could fish and did collect fish , and those that collected fishing equipment and couldn't catch fish.

So a lot of fishing equipment is designed to catch  FISHERPERSONS  and not fish. So the makers of various fishing equipment made up these hooks to go onto hats, vests, and wherever/ whatever clothing. Makes it easier to identify wallets...err...I mean customers.

So when a person comes in with a hook on his hat, wherever :

" Hey Todd, you seen this new reel with 43 ball bearings, two reverse, and handle that doubles as a beer opener? Why old so and so caught a limit of bass all over 6#'s in 30 minutes...been sooner but these things cast over into the next lake and dragging fish through trees slows one retreive down even if this reel has a 23:1 gear ratio.  Now you gotta have this rod, made of unobtanium to optimize it, and getting the fish thru the trees from the neighboring lake takes this space age fishing line designed for space shuttles...now Todd $50 aint' much for line, you ain't paying .50 for coffee no more either are you?  Now the lure, we got these in 57 varieties, depends on the phase of the moon , crops need planting or harvesting...oh yeah crops play a part in the fish cycle...

Todd spends $500 on all this "fishing tackle" and catches nothing. Has to buy fish at Long John Silvers on the way home and hide the box and lie to momma he cooked it lakeside. " Didn't want to smell up the kitchen honey".

" Tastes like Long John Silver to me"

"Must be something in the interior or something in that $40K SUV I pull that $30K bass boat with" - Todd replies.

---

Babies?  If'n you got to ask that question you really need to back away from and spend more time away from the 'puter and Internet.  Some stuff one has to experience - not read about.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 10:13:14 PM »
Just wanted to bump this one up, as no one really answered my question.

Speaking of Larry the Cable Guy, I plead blissful ignorance.  No tengo un televisor.  You may bow in recognition of my superiority.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 11:15:07 PM »
Fistful, try to stay ignorant on that one.  He's a hit-or-mis comedian in the tradition of Jeff Foxworthy.  His character is somewhere between an Alabama slack-jawed yokel and my Central Texas relatives.  His humor, while occasionally funny, is often far too crude for my tastes.

As for the fish hook thing...  sm pretty much hit it, but let me put it in a slightly clearer perspective.  How many people do you know who carry their keys on a carabiner?  How many of them actually climb anything more than the steps in front of McDonalds?  It's the same thing.

I suspect both fashion statements (let's face it, they are.  Practicality has little to do with it at this point.) began as a result of common practice of people who actually engage in those sports.  It is very common for fishermen, particularly fly fishermen, to secure their lures to their hat (think Col. Blake from M*A*S*H).  Standing waist deep in freezing water does not lend itself to easy access to the tackle box, so you stick a couple extra flies on your hat in case you lose one.  As for carabiners, some climber probably discovered that securing his keys to his belt worked better than accidentally dropping them off the side of El Capitan when they slipped out of his pocket.  Some fisherman wore his hat around because it reminded him of fishing, and some climber carried his keys that way because it's really quite practical.  Others saw this, and adopted the practice thinking that it made them look like someone who engages in outdoor sports.  It has now evolved to the point that the fishooks are purely ornamental, and the carabiner wouldn't support a small dog.

How's that?

grampster

• friend
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
I can't answer the question, but I have pictures of my dad, the worlds greatest trout fisherman, from the 1930's with various and sundry flies that he made affixed to his felt hat and hooked through his canvas fishing vest.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Kharn

• friend
Fish-hooks on hat brims
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 12:04:08 PM »

The offending fishhook. (and thats Larry the Cable Guy)

Kharn